Fitness advice/suggestions

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
^ This.

I’m rolling with a 1,100 to 1,300 calorie day (which is extreme). More for the challenge and test of self discipline.

To do this, I went with a high-protein diet, and enter my meals into an app (MyFitnessPal). It puts into perspective how much of “X” equals “Y” calories. I’ll probably increase calories to establish a new baseline, then return to my calorie-deficient ways.

Last edited:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
^ This.

I’m rolling with a 1,100 to 1,300 calorie day (which is extreme). More for the challenge and test of self discipline.

To do this, I went with a high-protein diet, and enter my meals into an app (MyFitnessPal). It puts into perspective how much of “X” equals “Y” calories. I’ll probably increase calories to establish a new baseline, then return to my calorie-deficient ways.
i'm not quite that extreme. but I'm below 2000 calories a day. Most days 1500-1700, and burning a minimum of 2200 a day, most days about 2400. I work a lot, don't exercise hardly at all except walking around.
I do have to be strict on my calorie intake each day though, or it can get off track quickly because I'm not usually actively trying to burn calories most days.
But literally only doing what I've said about Hello Fresh and paying attention to calories in and out, plus the intermittent fasting, I've lost 25 lbs since November, zero work outs. We were off this last week so it was not a good week for me :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't pop in this forum very often - just saw this thread and skimmed through it. So to sum up, Crete was a fatty and he's not so much of a fatty anymore? Also, Coach is under 6' and 219lbs? So Coach is also a fatty? How many other fatty's do we have hanging around here?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I work a lot, don't exercise hardly at all except walking around.
I do have to be strict on my calorie intake each day though, or it can get off track quickly because I'm not usually actively trying to burn calories most days.
Another reason I'm considering dropping the intensity of my workouts while reducing the non essential calories. Since upping the resistance/intensity of my workouts I'm famished by the time I eat in the evening and that's usually what triggers the handfuls of pretzels and other snacks.
I have a protein shake one hour after training in which time I've also drank the 2-3 beers and eaten a handful each of baby carrots and blueberries, but I get so hungry I can hardly stand waiting to get my salad and dinner together. When I was more focused on reduction I didn't get these uncontrollable cravings....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't pop in this forum very often - just saw this thread and skimmed through it. So to sum up, Crete was a fatty and he's not so much of a fatty anymore? Also, Coach is under 6' and 219lbs? So Coach is also a fatty? How many other fatty's do we have hanging around here?
In all fairness I'm 6'3" and of fairly large build....think of a prototypical Tight End who just happened to like a few too many golden sodas on a daily basis.....not just your run of the mill fatass :lol2:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
In all fairness I'm 6'3" and of fairly large build....think of a prototypical Tight End who just happened to like a few too many golden sodas on a daily basis.....not just your run of the mill fatass :lol2:

I was just f'ing w/ you - 6'3 220 is very solid. Sounds like you've done a great job dropping the weight - congrats on that! My advice is that you need to make your health a part of your lifestyle - sort of like in investing you "pay yourself first", well pay yourself (your body, your health, your mental health, etc) first.

I'm 5'11 160, very athletic, slim build (53 y/o). I'm pretty vane, so I've always watched my diet and exercise religiously (i.e. daily). I do abs daily (I have beachbody on demand and use one of their ab workouts), I've missed only 3 days in the last 4 years (when I got covid). Between ages 35 and 45 I ran upwards of 3000 miles per year. Now I do much less cardio, but watch the diet more closely (watch carbs basically). When I was 40 I broke 3 hours in a marathon (6:40/mile pace). Last year I committed to doing at least 50 pushups/day - I ended the year with around 46k pu's. This year I want to break 70k. I usually have some sort of dumb fitness goal each year (one year I ran at least 1 mile a day - there were times I'd go run a mile at 10 or 11 pm because I hadn't been able to do it earlier in the day - I ended up doing it for just over 400 days before I broke the streak). Fitness and health are simply a lifestyle.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wow that's really low but I think you have to do that in order to get moving in your desired direction. In my case I started in the mid 280#'s and thought cutting the beer for a couple weeks would be enough to get moving....

It did next to nothing until I cut total calories to around 1800-2000 for a couple of weeks and began the 16-8 intermittent fasting. I went to the low/mid 260's within 2 weeks. I stayed at 2400-2800 calories(I eat more on days I weight train) until I reached last years goal of 220#. Since then I probably take in 3000-3500 calories a day and more once a week when I just let myself become a complete slob finishing off the day with a huge bowl of chocolate ice cream :lol2:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another reason I'm considering dropping the intensity of my workouts while reducing the non essential calories. Since upping the resistance/intensity of my workouts I'm famished by the time I eat in the evening and that's usually what triggers the handfuls of pretzels and other snacks.
I have a protein shake one hour after training in which time I've also drank the 2-3 beers and eaten a handful each of baby carrots and blueberries, but I get so hungry I can hardly stand waiting to get my salad and dinner together. When I was more focused on reduction I didn't get these uncontrollable cravings....
Yea, if you're actively burning more calories, then your body is naturally going to want/need to replenish some of them.
The key is to make sure to replenish your body with the right nutrients, and not schit loaded in bad things like high calories, saturated fats, heavy starches, etc.

That said, it's probably a good thing to change what you do occasionally, going back and forth between the two methods you are doing may help in the long run

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I was just f'ing w/ you - 6'3 220 is very solid. Sounds like you've done a great job dropping the weight - congrats on that! My advice is that you need to make your health a part of your lifestyle - sort of like in investing you "pay yourself first", well pay yourself (your body, your health, your mental health, etc) first.

I'm 5'11 160, very athletic, slim build (53 y/o). I'm pretty vane, so I've always watched my diet and exercise religiously (i.e. daily). I do abs daily (I have beachbody on demand and use one of their ab workouts), I've missed only 3 days in the last 4 years (when I got covid). Between ages 35 and 45 I ran upwards of 3000 miles per year. Now I do much less cardio, but watch the diet more closely (watch carbs basically). When I was 40 I broke 3 hours in a marathon (6:40/mile pace). Last year I committed to doing at least 50 pushups/day - I ended the year with around 46k pu's. This year I want to break 70k. I usually have some sort of dumb fitness goal each year (one year I ran at least 1 mile a day - there were times I'd go run a mile at 10 or 11 pm because I hadn't been able to do it earlier in the day - I ended up doing it for just over 400 days before I broke the streak). Fitness and health are simply a lifestyle.
Thanks. Love hearing from people like you who have made fitness/health a long time priority. That's become my priority after neglecting it for 15 years prior to last year. I've had injuries to my lower back and neck from an auto accident several years ago and things really started to slide.

Since I'm on this forum nearly everday having this thread is a way of keeping me accountable as silly as that sounds so feel free to stop by and bust my balls if I don't post anything positive in here for a while.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Your dedication to exercise is quite impressive.

While weight has never been my issue, exercise is not something I enjoy at all. Being outside and active is something I love but a formal exercise routine is a struggle. It’s not a problem getting to 10,000 steps most days. However I’ve been in the gym the last 7 weeks and getting into a good routine with weights almost 5 days a week now. I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy it but it’s becoming more routine now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Your dedication to exercise is quite impressive.

While weight has never been my issue, exercise is not something I enjoy at all. Being outside and active is something I love but a formal exercise routine is a struggle. It’s not a problem getting to 10,000 steps most days. However I’ve been in the gym the last 7 weeks and getting into a good routine with weights almost 5 days a week now. I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy it but it’s becoming more routine now.

I'd suggest listening to a podcast or something that will entertain you while you're working out (if you go to a gym). I have a home gym and I sit on the recumbent bike and watch Netflix for 30 minutes to over an hour - I usually do this 6 or 7 days a week, only really miss it when I travel or am not at home - my weekly goal is to get to around 4 hours of cardio. Also, I joined a place called "Outdoor Group Fitness" in St. Pete last year - it's a little expensive ($40/week, and that's with a military discount), but I go usually 4-6 times a week (it's similar to crossfit, but more cardio mixed in), but I do still lift at home in my home gym. So finding a class to take at your local gym may be something to get you more "into" it. Also, I really like the beachbody app - lot's of good classes you can do at home for any fitness level.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
How many other fatty's do we have hanging around here?

7Bnt.gif

I only started watching my weight in my early 30's when diagnosed with Diabetes Type II. When that occurred, I was able to use diet & exercise to get my glucose in range and drop about 30lbs in 3-4 months. At 5'9" I was able to get down to 193.5 as my lowest recorded weight. Now, 20y later (age 54) I've been cruising at 220lb pretty regular for the last year or so - sometimes watching what eat (got Type 2 in check for a good bit this way), but less than half the time; and zero exercise. In the last month I gained another 5lb, abnormal for me but it started with a work trip and expensed dinners with the guys.

While I believe age is a factor, I think my inactive lifestyle is more to be a driver over the last year for having broken an ankle, suffering chronic rotator cuff problems in one arm (mostly by sleeping position), and torn ligaments in a finger that never healed back right even with PT. So, last week I set my mind to hit reboot and start over, and promptly pulled a muscle in my abs (just under the ribs) that was painful enough to send me to a doc to get it checked (they said it is just muscle, not rib, and takes 4w to heal). I pulled this muscle by...coughing hard. smdh.

So, while I posted some of this much earlier in the thread, truth is I haven't done sht but eat a lot for the last 20y, and the Type 2 rages on. A marathon has been on the bucket list forever, but at this point I need to start with baby steps and simply get off my azz. Do something, anything.

Meanwhile, you guys do provide an inspiration, so please keep it up.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
7Bnt.gif

I only started watching my weight in my early 30's when diagnosed with Diabetes Type II. When that occurred, I was able to use diet & exercise to get my glucose in range and drop about 30lbs in 3-4 months. At 5'9" I was able to get down to 193.5 as my lowest recorded weight. Now, 20y later (age 54) I've been cruising at 220lb pretty regular for the last year or so - sometimes watching what eat (got Type 2 in check for a good bit this way), but less than half the time; and zero exercise. In the last month I gained another 5lb, abnormal for me but it started with a work trip and expensed dinners with the guys.

While I believe age is a factor, I think my inactive lifestyle is more to be a driver for having broken an ankle, suffering chronic rotator cuff problems in one arm (mostly by sleeping position), and torn ligaments in a finger that never healed back right even with PT. So, last week I set my mind to hit reboot and start over, and promptly pulled a muscle in my abs (just under the ribs) that was painful enough to send me to a doc to get it checked (they said it is just muscle, not rib, and takes 4w to heal). I pulled this muscle by...coughing hard. smdh.

So, while I posted some of this much earlier in the thread, truth is I haven't done sht but eat a lot for the last 20y, and the Type 2 rages on. A marathon has been on the bucket list forever, but at this point I need to start with baby steps and simply get off my azz. Do something, anything.

Meanwhile, you guys do provide an inspiration, so please keep it up.

Man TLB - that's a tough blow, rib/ab injuries are painful AF (I've done it several times) and does take some time to feel better.

This is the recumbent bike I have (I bought it in 2021 for under $300, it's gone up quit a bit) - I'd suggest finding something like this, putting it in a room where you have a TV, get a fan blowing on you, put on Prime or Netflix, and burn TF out of calories. This has been an awesome purchase for me - I rode 28 out of 29 days in Feb, around 315 miles for almost 900 minutes.

Also an easy thing to do - a couple times a day drop to the ground and do 10+ pushups, then lay on your back and put your hands under your butt and do leg raises (like 15-20, up and down slowly). These are easy things that I do all day long (like said earlier, I'm on pace for 70K+ pushups this year).

1709570292630.png

Amazon product

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'd suggest listening to a podcast or something that will entertain you while you're working out (if you go to a gym). I have a home gym and I sit on the recumbent bike and watch Netflix for 30 minutes to over an hour - I usually do this 6 or 7 days a week, only really miss it when I travel or am not at home - my weekly goal is to get to around 4 hours of cardio. Also, I joined a place called "Outdoor Group Fitness" in St. Pete last year - it's a little expensive ($40/week, and that's with a military discount), but I go usually 4-6 times a week (it's similar to crossfit, but more cardio mixed in), but I do still lift at home in my home gym. So finding a class to take at your local gym may be something to get you more "into" it. Also, I really like the beachbody app - lot's of good classes you can do at home for any fitness level.
I have zero excuse to not workout other than I hate it. Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll check out some of the apps/videos. It has to be a change of mindset but I’m not there yet.

We have a full gym in the basement but I’d rather be outside. There are kettlebell/barbell 30 min videos that I’ve been doing followed up my own stuff. So far so good but I’m not enjoying it.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Man TLB - that's a tough blow, rib/ab injuries are painful AF (I've done it several times) and does take some time to feel better.

This is the recumbent bike I have (I bought it in 2021 for under $300, it's gone up quit a bit) - I'd suggest finding something like this, putting it in a room where you have a TV, get a fan blowing on you, put on Prime or Netflix, and burn TF out of calories. This has been an awesome purchase for me - I rode 28 out of 29 days in Feb, around 315 miles for almost 900 minutes.

Also an easy thing to do - a couple times a day drop to the ground and do 10+ pushups, then lay on your back and put your hands under your butt and do leg raises (like 15-20, up and down slowly). These are easy things that I do all day long (like said earlier, I'm on pace for 70K+ pushups this year).

View attachment 68020

Amazon product

Check out FB marketplace. People will practically pay you to take away their equipment! :lol:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
This is the recumbent bike I have (I bought it in 2021

I have the earlier model, in storage in the basement, from roughly 20y ago :D Hasn't been pluggedin for over 15y, but yea, it's available! The pushups is also a goal - simple to do anywhere, anytime. Leg lifts...I can add.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have zero excuse to not workout other than I hate it. Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll check out some of the apps/videos. It has to be a change of mindset but I’m not there yet.

We have a full gym in the basement but I’d rather be outside. There are kettlebell/barbell 30 min videos that I’ve been doing followed up my own stuff. So far so good but I’m not enjoying it.

Beachbody has all sorts of workouts - and many of them are under 20 minutes. Doing 30 minute video workouts can become a chore, but the 20-ish minute one's (for me) have always gone by super fast, and they're usually very efficient (keeping your heart rate up the whole time).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have the earlier model, in storage in the basement, from roughly 20y ago :D Hasn't been pluggedin for over 15y, but yea, it's available! The pushups is also a goal - simple to do anywhere, anytime. Leg lifts...I can add.

Dust that thing off and start using it. Even if it's only 10-15 minutes. Once you get into a routine you'll probably look forward to it (I generally watch a show ONLY on the bike - so if I want to watch that particular show I have to get on the bike). And w/ the push-ups, leg lifts - same thing, just drop to the ground and do it. I have a yoga mat laid out in front of my TV in the living room that I use for this. Seeing the mat always reminds to do the pu's and ab work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator