Fitness advice/suggestions

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Have you taken a look at your total daily calorie intake vs your daily output?
Not lately and it really hasn't bothered me until I lost motivation to doing cardio. But yes, if I reduce the amount of cardio I do it will(and is beginning to) catch up. I'm just not sure if I can continue to add strength/size without some excess calories. I've tried even when I was younger and in tip top shape(in my 30's and early 40's) and never had any success.....I seem to either be able to lose bodyweight or add strength/muscle but not at the same time....then again I've never done steroids but at my age and stress levels I'm probably going to die anyway...why not go out looking like a million bucks :lol2:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not lately and it really hasn't bothered me until I lost motivation to doing cardio. But yes, if I reduce the amount of cardio I do it will(and is beginning to) catch up. I'm just not sure if I can continue to add strength/size without some excess calories. I've tried even when I was younger and in tip top shape(in my 30's and early 40's) and never had any success.....I seem to either be able to lose bodyweight or add strength/muscle but not at the same time....then again I've never done steroids but at my age and stress levels I'm probably going to die anyway...why not go out looking like a million bucks :lol2:
Just my opinion, but you don't need excess calories.
You just need to make sure you aren't taking in calories at a much greater rate than you burn them.

They say that if you have a 500 calorie deficit every day, then you should lose 1 lb per week (roughly)
It should be the same in reverse.

Also, muscle is, I believe, about 30% more dense per same mass. Which means you could maintain weight, even gain weight while losing fat and becoming leaner, even if it isn't lighter.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Do you like working out to music, @Concrete Helmet ?

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I highly recommend the Les Mills workouts. You can pay like $12/month or $100/year and have endless workouts streamed straight to your TV/laptop.

The workouts with weights are strength-training and cardio rolled into one, and it's a full body workout if you do a full hour.

You also have the option of picking shorter workouts that focus on certain areas.

The trainers are from all over the world, their accents are cool, and they're hot.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Do you like working out to music, @Concrete Helmet ?

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I highly recommend the Les Mills workouts. You can pay like $12/month or $100/year and have endless workouts streamed straight to your TV/laptop.

The workouts with weights are strength-training and cardio rolled into one, and it's a full body workout if you do a full hour.

You also have the option of picking shorter workouts that focus on certain areas.

The trainers are from all over the world, their accents are cool, and they're hot.
Do you have to eat grass?

Oh, sorry, Les MILLS.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
All you people sharing what you do to get & stay in shape (round is a shape) has inspired me do the same.
1715175398241.jpeg

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I've maintained my weight between 160 and 165lbs (5'10") eating carnivore for the last 2 years without working out at all. I feel healthy and haven't had any health issues not eating fruits and veggies. I know it would benefit me to workout though, I know that yet I am just too damned lazy to do it.

LaylaGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I've maintained my weight between 160 and 165lbs (5'10") eating carnivore for the last 2 years without working out at all. I feel healthy and haven't had any health issues not eating fruits and veggies. I know it would benefit me to workout though, I know that yet I am just too damned lazy to do it.
That's impressive. I love meat, but I would miss vegetables too much.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Glad this is working for you and I'm no expert so take it for what it's worth but if you're eating 100% protein/fat you need to need to be doubling the amount of water you drink on a daily basis.....your kidneys, liver and digestive tract will thank you for it down the road if you continue following that diet.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Weight maintenance is a good thing and can be seemingly a positive. But your heart is a muscle and like all muscles it needs carbs to keep its strength. They just obviously have to be balanced, good carbs, and need to be offset with exercise. So while it’s good you’ve lost or maintained weight, that can be dangerous as well. It’s what makes the Atkins(I realizethat’s not exactly what you’re doing) such a complete sham and why the fatty that started died at like 270 with a spare tire. You’re taxing your heart more than usual and not giving it what it needs to handle the strain. Exercise is still key to health. There’s just no way around it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Im down about 30lbs from surgery now. My workouts are now recumbent bike and elliptical and curls, benches and curl ups. I actually thought I was gonna starve for awhile with no appetite but now its back with a vengeance. Im drinking only water and not eating all my food each time. But it is harder even now. I figured the water would keep my weight down. The more you exercise young the healthier you will be at my age. Its obvious to me. I look around and see my friends. But I have other obstacles to overcome working out now. I hope your regime is still helping, Crete.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Im down about 30lbs from surgery now. My workouts are now recumbent bike and elliptical and curls, benches and curl ups. I actually thought I was gonna starve for awhile with no appetite but now its back with a vengeance. Im drinking only water and not eating all my food each time. But it is harder even now. I figured the water would keep my weight down. The more you exercise young the healthier you will be at my age. Its obvious to me. I look around and see my friends. But I have other obstacles to overcome working out now. I hope your regime is still helping, Crete.
Good to hear, Coach just don't push too hard after the surgery. So much truth about when you said working out ASAP will benefit them down the road. Closing in on 60 I try and reflect on that when I get a little discouraged looking at my body and not seeing the exact results I want in the mirror. Quite honestly, I sometimes need to give myself a break from my own ego...I'll bet a lot of people my age wish they could get down on the floor at 5.30am and crank out 250 pushups wearing a weighted vest in around 20 minutes or do 250 full squats with light weights despite permanent injuries in the back, neck and knee.

Maybe focusing more on the health aspect which is why I restarted and being more thankful that I can even exercise in the first place is a better long term approach.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I found as I aged I had to change my routine. Really just quit obsessing about it and listen more to my body. But you are exactly right about being thankful for what you can do and not what you wish you could do. I am surprised at how quickly I seem to have recovered but not really doing as much as before. I guess being healthy and in decent shape made a huge difference with my recovery.......

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I've got to lose some weight. I weighed 234.5 yesterday when I went in for a physical with my primary doctor. He told me that if I don't want to become a diabetic that I have to drop some weight. Two years ago he said I needed to drop 15 pounds but this time he just said "lose weight."

I have thought about going on the carnivore diet but that will be tough to do in my house. I do have questions though such as, can I still eat pork sausage? What about fried chicken? What about hamburger patties (hamburger steak)? Are there any types of meat that are off limits?

LaylaGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I've got to lose some weight. I weighed 234.5 yesterday when I went in for a physical with my primary doctor. He told me that if I don't want to become a diabetic that I have to drop some weight. Two years ago he said I needed to drop 15 pounds but this time he just said "lose weight."

I have thought about going on the carnivore diet but that will be tough to do in my house. I do have questions though such as, can I still eat pork sausage? What about fried chicken? What about hamburger patties (hamburger steak)? Are there any types of meat that are off limits?
Go with meat and vegetables. Eliminate bread, potatoes, sugary drinks, and other "empty carbs" for a while. Once you've hit your goal, introduce the bread and potatoes back in moderation.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Go with meat and vegetables. Eliminate bread, potatoes, sugary drinks, and other "empty carbs" for a while. Once you've hit your goal, introduce the bread and potatoes back in moderation.
I did that several years ago to a limited extent. I stopped eating bread, taters, and sugary drinks for the most part and I started walking daily in the range of 3-6 miles. In 9 weeks I managed to drop about 25-30 pounds. I need to do something like that again but the walking part is more difficult now as I have not one, but two bone spurs on the big toe on my right foot. It definitely makes walking much more difficult. And please don't tell me to try using an elliptical trainer. I hate those things.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
Not a Dr., so do whatever you want....my $0.02

1. determine your daily calorie burn rate
2. determine what your target loss goals are
3. Download the MyFitnessPal
4. track your daily calorie consumption and be diligent

Keep in mind: You cannot outrun your fork.

Exercise is minimal on weightloss. Compare the calorie count of a ham sammich to how long it takes to burn those calories.

That being said, exercise, because you don't want to be skinny and weak.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I did that several years ago to a limited extent. I stopped eating bread, taters, and sugary drinks for the most part and I started walking daily in the range of 3-6 miles. In 9 weeks I managed to drop about 25-30 pounds. I need to do something like that again but the walking part is more difficult now as I have not one, but two bone spurs on the big toe on my right foot. It definitely makes walking much more difficult. And please don't tell me to try using an elliptical trainer. I hate those things.
How about a bicycle?

Seriously, the fact you lost that much in nine weeks shows you, you can do it. The key is you didn't gain it overnight, so don't be frustrated if you can't lose it quickly. @LaylaGator is correct, of course, on that diet being the best course of action for losing weight. That sort of diet has the added benefit of lowering your blood sugar which will help with the pre diabetes issue. Good luck.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
:exactly:
The "carnivore diet is basically the Adkins diet....you will lose weight which more than half of it will be....you guessed it....WATER.....You are essentially dehydrating yourself....very hard on your kidneys, liver and heart.

For a short term "hack" it's probably not that bad....If I cut carbs for more than 1-2 days I will drop 6-8# easily....in the long run it's just a quick fix for maybe a special occasion of photo.....for the men reading this it will absolutely FLATTEN any gains you've made in the gym. Trust me I've experimented with this several times over the years and in my opinion modified fasting on a 2X aday with a protein shake thrown in on resistance training days will yield 5X better results over anything in the long term for people with a propensity of holding excess weight genetically or dietarily. I fall into both categories unfortunately.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Stop being a p vssy.... I did 250 full squats with a weighted vest, 6 sets of Romanian deadlifts, 6 sets of Bulgarian squats(one legged squats) 6 sets of glute raises this morning before 6AM in 40 minutes and 30 minutes on an assault bike this afternoon.....I have a knee that is bone on bone and sounds like a bowl of Rice Crispys during my leg workouts(needs replacement) permanent lower back and neck injuries and both shoulders will be needing rotator cuff surgery before too long,,,If there is a will there is a way......stop making excuses

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator