Fitness advice/suggestions

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Secret to weight loss: burn more calories than you consume.

You're welcome.

More seriously tho, just improving your diet and being a bit more active can do wonders for a 280 pound lardass like you, Crete. :grin:

Ok, for real seriously now, it sounds like what you're already doing is working well. There's no secret recipe or trick. What matters is making the change habitual, otherwise you'll get down where you want to be, then balloon back up when you stop exercising or begin eating more again. You gotta find the diet and activity routine that works and that you can live with bc you have to "live" with it for your improvements to be permanent.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Secret to weight loss: burn more calories than you consume.
You say it sarcasticly but that's literally it.

Sure there are some genetics involved in that some people have slower or faster metabolisms but at the end of the day, calories in vs calories out is the formula.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You say it sarcasticly but that's literally it.

Sure there are some genetics involved in that some people have slower or faster metabolisms but at the end of the day, calories in vs calories out is the formula.
In simple terms yes, but there are also ways to manipulate your "burn rate"....foods consumed, timing of caloric intake, timing of training, training protocol, supplementation. As I mentioned in my first post I'm not completely new to a very high level of fitness in my past. In fact I placed in the top 2% of a 12 week national fitness competition in my late 30's....218# @6% bodyfat, gained 14# of lean body mass(muscle) while losing 26# of fat. During this 12 week timeframe I also partied my ass off 4-5 nights a week chasing ass all over Orlando...:lol: and probably drank twice as much as I was before beginning this plan...

At 58 there is NO way I could achieve those same results in that time frame and very likely never put on that much lean muscle before I die....I can also tell you during that 12 week program I literally ate TWICE as much food in a day as I am eating right now or even before I began this. My arthritis/age/recovery would also not allow me to train anywhere near as hard or often as I did then.

There is also a process when you start getting less return on your investment.....it takes longer to lose weight/gain muscle due to adaptation of your body. But yes once you get to a targeted range you can keep from accumulating excess bodyweight by balancing your caloric intake with you level of activity.

What I'm looking for is ideas of how to get past those sticking points, new exercises or types of training that have worked for others, things to watch out for, what hasn't worked for some people,....hell even Gren's idea about the MCT oil is already helping me I think(I've literally crapped about 40# of dung in the last 4 days:lol:)...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I grew up around gyms because there we some in my family. My uncle was a serious body builder, so genetics have been helpful. But to expound on what has already been mentioned, like much of life, health and fitness are about 80% mental. I did some pro bono personal training in my early 20s(in part to network and also to piss off the trainers at Gold’s). A few things.

I always had my clients commit to not looking in a mirror for the first eight weeks. Your brain can often be an enemy and cause you togive up. You have to essentially trick it and force it to become an ally. If after one week of getting up earlier, eating differently, and being sore, you barely see any noticeable difference, it’s very easy to throw in the towel. Avoid looking at yourself other than the necessary moments and the impact of 6-8 weeks of better diet and exercise will blow you away and help you stick with it. Just a little trick I came up with and it worked.

Secondly, I would always say is keep it very simple and “just do it”. Don’t talk. Don’t plan out. Don’t center any life changes around a particular date. That’s just an admission that mentally you aren’t ready to do it. And don’t get swept up on the newest exercises, the latest diet fads, etc. The old system works as it has always worked. Look at the shredded guys walking around prisons every day as an example. There’s a reason Men’s Health has a “6 pack in 4 weeks” article about every 3 editions. Health is an industry and has to keep changing and adding to stay relevant. The reality is you don’t have to constantly switch just to get in shape. The notion is designed to keep you confused, unhealthy and needing their next idea because you’re a still out of shape.

As has been seen in the dinner thread, I am a big believer in raw vegetables. Especially kale. Not only is it good for fitness, but it’s great for overall health which keeps you from getting sick and having that week or two off, which often starts the slide backwards. And find substitutes for processed foods. But also set specific cheat dates. Almost like a controlled fire, it gives your mind and body something to look forward to and can be confined to a set period of time. Find the things you deem “calorie worthy” and enjoy them. But only at certain times. Our bodies are habitual by nature and you’ll eventually not want that cake on Wednesday at the office simply because it’s Susie’s last day or some other nonsense. You will eventually crave healthy eating and see the cheat days as nice but not what you want most of the time.

Lastly, to you @Concrete Helmet, sounds like you are doing great, which is commendable at your age. One thing I would mention to you is also excepting age and the changes it brings. I used to stretch for 3 minutes, 10 min of cardio and strength train for an hour. At 43, I now stretch for 10 min, do 20-25 of cardio and strength train for approximately 30, before stretching another 5. Can’t keep up a routine if you’re always hurt, and as you’ve likely seen, we can get injured a lot easier these days. So rather than going really hard every time, go with the mindset of longevity. The results will be virtually identical.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I grew up around gyms because there we some in my family. My uncle was a serious body builder, so genetics have been helpful. But to expound on what has already been mentioned, like much of life, health and fitness are about 80% mental. I did some pro bono personal training in my early 20s(in part to network and also to piss off the trainers at Gold’s). A few things.

I always had my clients commit to not looking in a mirror for the first eight weeks. Your brain can often be an enemy and cause you togive up. You have to essentially trick it and force it to become an ally. If after one week of getting up earlier, eating differently, and being sore, you barely see any noticeable difference, it’s very easy to throw in the towel. Avoid looking at yourself other than the necessary moments and the impact of 6-8 weeks of better diet and exercise will blow you away and help you stick with it. Just a little trick I came up with and it worked.

Secondly, I would always say is keep it very simple and “just do it”. Don’t talk. Don’t plan out. Don’t center any life changes around a particular date. That’s just an admission that mentally you aren’t ready to do it. And don’t get swept up on the newest exercises, the latest diet fads, etc. The old system works as it has always worked. Look at the shredded guys walking around prisons every day as an example. There’s a reason Men’s Health has a “6 pack in 4 weeks” article about every 3 editions. Health is an industry and has to keep changing and adding to stay relevant. The reality is you don’t have to constantly switch just to get in shape. The notion is designed to keep you confused, unhealthy and needing their next idea because you’re a still out of shape.

As has been seen in the dinner thread, I am a big believer in raw vegetables. Especially kale. Not only is it good for fitness, but it’s great for overall health which keeps you from getting sick and having that week or two off, which often starts the slide backwards. And find substitutes for processed foods. But also set specific cheat dates. Almost like a controlled fire, it gives your mind and body something to look forward to and can be confined to a set period of time. Find the things you deem “calorie worthy” and enjoy them. But only at certain times. Our bodies are habitual by nature and you’ll eventually not want that cake on Wednesday at the office simply because it’s Susie’s last day or some other nonsense. You will eventually crave healthy eating and see the cheat days as nice but not what you want most of the time.

Lastly, to you @Concrete Helmet, sounds like you are doing great, which is commendable at your age. One thing I would mention to you is also excepting age and the changes it brings. I used to stretch for 3 minutes, 10 min of cardio and strength train for an hour. At 43, I now stretch for 10 min, do 20-25 of cardio and strength train for approximately 30, before stretching another 5. Can’t keep up a routine if you’re always hurt, and as you’ve likely seen, we can get injured a lot easier these days. So rather than going really hard every time, go with the mindset of longevity. The results will be virtually identical.
Thanks for the reply....STRETCHING....Something I've overlooked. Thanks for the great post....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Keep it up! Slow and steady wins the race.

Assuming you reduced the quantity of food as you increased quality, just know that eventually your stomach will shrink, so it will take less to feel full. Hopefully that will shrink your hunger and frustration as well as your waistline.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
In simple terms yes, but there are also ways to manipulate your "burn rate"....foods consumed, timing of caloric intake, timing of training, training protocol, supplementation. As I mentioned in my first post I'm not completely new to a very high level of fitness in my past. In fact I placed in the top 2% of a 12 week national fitness competition in my late 30's....218# @6% bodyfat, gained 14# of lean body mass(muscle) while losing 26# of fat. During this 12 week timeframe I also partied my ass off 4-5 nights a week chasing ass all over Orlando...:lol: and probably drank twice as much as I was before beginning this plan...

At 58 there is NO way I could achieve those same results in that time frame and very likely never put on that much lean muscle before I die....I can also tell you during that 12 week program I literally ate TWICE as much food in a day as I am eating right now or even before I began this. My arthritis/age/recovery would also not allow me to train anywhere near as hard or often as I did then.

There is also a process when you start getting less return on your investment.....it takes longer to lose weight/gain muscle due to adaptation of your body. But yes once you get to a targeted range you can keep from accumulating excess bodyweight by balancing your caloric intake with you level of activity.

What I'm looking for is ideas of how to get past those sticking points, new exercises or types of training that have worked for others, things to watch out for, what hasn't worked for some people,....hell even Gren's idea about the MCT oil is already helping me I think(I've literally crapped about 40# of dung in the last 4 days:lol:)...
I ordered some of that MCT last Friday. I really hoping you are joking about the 40# of crap. Our diets are too similar and as I get older I find myself worrying more and more about how often I poop and if I am doing so in sufficient quantity.

I report back after I have used it for a couple of days.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sounds like you’re doing all the right things. Keep it up! Slow and steady wins the race.

Assuming you reduced the quantity of food as you increased quality, just know that eventually your stomach will shrink, so it will take less to feel full. Hopefully that will shrink your hunger and frustration as well as your waistline.
100%....I no longer have the desire to snack after dinner or at work.....well a little at work but usually a big 44oz cup of ice water keeps me in check. I've also found that a cup or 2 of coffee in the afternoon knocks my appetite back down until I snack on raw veggies before dinner.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I ordered some of that MCT last Friday. I really hoping you are joking about the 40# of crap. Our diets are too similar and as I get older I find myself worrying more and more about how often I poop and if I am doing so in sufficient quantity.

I report back after I have used it for a couple of days.
It really isn't that drastic and remember I started it the day after wing night....I do notice a bit more gas especially when doing crunches while working out....it's almost like there's a tuba player sitting next to me or something.....and yes I laugh my ass off everytime.
I also had the same problem years ago when I would consume 2 protein shakes along with my diet when training. At the time I was training at a small private gym and it would cause quite a stir when one of the other members would walk into a"green mist of hell"....and yes I would laugh my ass off watching it happen.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
It really isn't that drastic and remember I started it the day after wing night....I do notice a bit more gas especially when doing crunches while working out....it's almost like there's a tuba player sitting next to me or something.....and yes I laugh my ass off everytime.
I also had the same problem years ago when I would consume 2 protein shakes along with my diet when training. At the time I was training at a small private gym and it would cause quite a stir when one of the other members would walk into a"green mist of hell"....and yes I would laugh my ass off watching it happen.

You should try to eat a Chicken Ala King MRE with some of the MCT and see how they smell.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Oh, almost forgot, @Concrete Helmet , I’d definitely steer clear of any new dietary supplements or oils, especially those recommended by people on message boards(one whom we think might be a tad nuts). Like most things, you’ll see side effects and an almost guaranteed distancing from them later on by the same professionals/outlets promoting them today. I trust this reaches you in time. :lol:

Seriously, if you want to improve your gut, eat raw kale as I suggested, put flax seeds on steel cut oats and drink 4-5oz of Kombucha in the morning.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Oh, almost forgot, @Concrete Helmet , I’d definitely steer clear of any new dietary supplements or oils, especially those recommended by people on message boards(one whom we think might be a tad nuts). Like most things, you’ll see side effects and an almost guaranteed distancing from them later on by the same professionals/outlets promoting them today. I trust this reaches you in time. :lol:

Seriously, if you want to improve your gut, eat raw kale as I suggested, put flax seeds on steel cut oats and drink 4-5oz of Kombucha in the morning.
Years ago whenever I would start training or get a renewed interest I'd often run out and get "GNCed" by the latest and greatest supplements promising "steroidlike results" only to get no better results than I probably would have taking vitamins and a good diet which actually in most cases already contains whatever is in the overpriced concoction people are trying to sell you.

I do believe some supplements can help you incrementally and over a prolonged period of time such as Turmeric for inflammation, zinc, magnesium and vitamin D. I'll take the MCT's along with my fish oil since it wasn't that expensive but have no plans of adding anything else....BTW I do sometimes add some shredded kale to my evening salad mix. I don't do steel cut oats but I do have a bowl of plain Quaker oats with a smashed up banana and a splash of milk on weekend mornings which has replaced my old Bacon Egg& Cheese bagel and hashbrowns from Wawa....don't even miss it and that had been a habit for probably the last 10 years.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just got my MCT yesterday and put some in my coffee this morning. My coffee started bubbling.

Stay tuned.
I think that I started noticing a change in my waistline after about a week. About that boiling in your coffee, oil is lighter than water and tends to surface to the top as it beads or bubbles but it's oderless and lasteless.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
calories in vs calories out is the formula
And I think it's something like 3,500 calories per pound of fat.

So for Crete to drop 30 lbs in 3 months that would translate to him burning about 1,150 more calories than he took in every day during that time.

Impressive.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And I think it's something like 3,500 calories per pound of fat.

So for Crete to drop 30 lbs in 3 months that would translate to him burning about 1,150 more calories than he took in every day during that time.

Impressive.
Which is crazy because I don't count calories. However I know I typically burn 500-600 calories during my cardio workouts(or so the machine tells me). I have no idea how many I burn during resistance training but the pace I keep is nearly that of a light jog judging from the way my heart rate feels.
The other thing that crossed my mind the other day about calories is if you get cumulative credit so to speak and not just a daily result. For example I still have 2 light beers a day and eat one sleeve of spicy peanuts with my late morning feeding. My guess is between the beer and peanuts it's probably 400 calories a day(empty calories). If I ceased those 2 items for a month it would be about 12,000 calories total or about 3.5#.

Really hate to give those items up as they help break up the psychological stress of other cravings and the 2 beers are really the only time I get to talk to my wife alone.

I guess if I get to a sticking point which I'm expecting along the way I could delete them and see if it gets me closer to my goal.

Last edited:

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Which is crazy because I don't count calories. However I know I typically burn 500-600 calories during my cardio workouts(or so the machine tells me). I have no idea how many I burn during resistance training but the pace I keep is nearly that of a light jog judging from the way my heart rate feels.
The other thing that crossed my mind the other day about calories is if you get cumulative credit so to speak and not just a daily result. For example I still have 2 light beers a day and eat one sleeve of spicy peanuts with my late morning feeding. My guess is between the beer and peanuts it's probably 400 calories a day(empty calories). If I ceased those 2 items for a month it would be about 12,000 calories total or about 3.5#.

Really hate to give those items up as they help break up the psychological stress of other cravings and the 2 beers are really the only time I get to talk to my wife alone.

I guess if I get to a sticking point which I'm expecting along the way I could delete them and see if it gets me closer to my goal.
I think your plan will be more sustainable in the long-term if you continue allowing yourself those couple treats. Otherwise, you just end up binging down the road. Or so I've heard.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think your plan will be more sustainable in the long-term if you continue allowing yourself those couple treats. Otherwise, you just end up binging down the road. Or so I've heard.
That's the truth.
Nothing wrong with a treat on less often occasions, just have to be smart about it and have the will power to not go overboard with it.

Planning really helps simplify not only your diet but your budget as well.
Wife and I started planning dinners recently for financial reasons, and the side effect is we are eating healthier because we know what we plan to make and when, but still allow ourselves to go out once or twice a week....with a budget of course :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.