Gator Basketball ***Florida at Kansas St BBALL Game Thread***

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Did anyone expect a miracle fix in Year 1? We were gaining momentum heading into a 4 game stretch NO ONE would ask for, and I’m just poking fun at the violent mood swings from the manic-depressive personalities here. Idk if Golden will right the ship, but I’m giving him more than a year to prove he can do it.

I don’t think anybody (other than @gardnerwebbgator lol) wants him fired. That’s made up.

12-9 is not good enough right now, but win 2 of the next 3 and all is well. Can’t afford to lose 4 straight.

And yes, one year turnarounds are very possible, just look at who we just lost to :lol:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Did anyone expect a miracle fix in Year 1? We were gaining momentum heading into a 4 game stretch NO ONE would ask for, and I’m just poking fun at the violent mood swings from the manic-depressive personalities here. Idk if Golden will right the ship, but I’m giving him more than a year to prove he can do it.
Who is calling for his firing? We have a pretty decent team when they play together, and had built some momentum to the point of being on the bubble. Then in a highly anticipated and publicized national broadcast with a huge backstory, the team didn’t show up and played one of their worst games of the season. Actual fans are obviously disappointed and the normal place to express their disappointment is on a sports forum.

How the hell is anyone demanding a miracle? You do realize virtually every team in the top 20 has several key players who didn’t come to their program through high school recruiting right? I happen to think Golden has put together a pretty good roster and expect them to play a lot better than the crap fest they displayed yesterday.

It doesn’t make someone a better fan to say all those other teams with new coaches and portal-based rosters competing right away (in football and basketball) are an anomaly and building the wrong way, and we are above such unreasonable expectations. It just makes one a sanctimonious jackass.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I heard some talking head say, "no team is as bad or as good as they were in their last game."

That's true...

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I don’t think anybody (other than @gardnerwebbgator lol) wants him fired. That’s made up.

12-9 is not good enough right now, but win 2 of the next 3 and all is well. Can’t afford to lose 4 straight.

And yes, one year turnarounds are very possible, just look at who we just lost to :lol:

And yet one year turnarounds are the exception, not the rule.

Yes, 12-9 sucks, but mw left a dumpster fire behind. This team doesn’t have much continuity with all the portal transfers. I just don’t see how many teams could handle the churn and still jell in time to have a solid season.

And my “fire the bum” comment was… wait for it… sarcasm and exaggeration. My apologies that I’m the only one who uses that writing style here.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
And yet one year turnarounds are the exception, not the rule.

Yes, 12-9 sucks, but mw left a dumpster fire behind. This team doesn’t have much continuity with all the portal transfers. I just don’t see how many teams could handle the churn and still jell in time to have a solid season.

And my “fire the bum” comment was… wait for it… sarcasm and exaggeration. My apologies that I’m the only one who uses that writing style here.

Speaking of MW, he’s even turned UGA around in year 1. And him leaving a “dumpster fire” just isn’t true at all lol cmon. He left us Reeves and Colin which are two fringe NBA guys. It’s a shame they’ve both regressed (especially Reeve).

I’m telling you right now this is all on his hire of Hovde. He needs to can him and find a new “OC” asap.

As for sarcasm, hard to tell on this board with the cast of characters we have :lol:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think there is enough actual talent for this team to have a better record. The half court offense is truly laughable.

BTW I do not agree that Reeves is a fringe NBA player. He is actually not good.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think there is enough actual talent for this team to have a better record. The half court offense is truly laughable.

BTW I do not agree that Reeves is a fringe NBA player. He is actually not good.

Oh he’s good, he’s just unfortunately regressed under Golden (Hovde really). I’m sure he could go somewhere else and thrive ala Appleby - no, I’m not insinuating Appleby is an NBA guy

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Speaking of MW, he’s even turned UGA around in year 1. And him leaving a “dumpster fire” just isn’t true at all lol cmon. He left us Reeves and Colin which are two fringe NBA guys. It’s a shame they’ve both regressed (especially Reeve).

I’m telling you right now this is all on his hire of Hovde. He needs to can him and find a new “OC” asap.

As for sarcasm, hard to tell on this board with the cast of characters we have
uga had a soft schedule to start and then we beat them, so how's mw's turnaround going? Didn't say we are void of talent... mw had a huge roster turnover in his last year, then it happened again when CTG took over. Very little continuity. I'm just amazed that the EXPECTATION is for a miraculous improvement. Will CTG work out? I have my doubts, but I'd like to at least see how we look around this point next season.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
uga had a soft schedule to start and then we beat them, so how's mw's turnaround going? Didn't say we are void of talent... mw had a huge roster turnover in his last year, then it happened again when CTG took over. Very little continuity. I'm just amazed that the EXPECTATION is for a miraculous improvement. Will CTG work out? I have my doubts, but I'd like to at least see how we look around this point next season.

They were atrocious last year and now they’re right there with us. We beat them at home in a tight game with a much more talented roster.

I’m not even down on TG, more so his OC he hired. If he keeps him for next year then I’ll have serious doubts.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I have very little knowledge about Xs and Os in basketball, so I won't argue about the OC. It gets muddier when trying to figure out if the lazy passes and poor shooting are on the players, or how they're coached, or if some of these guys just aren't that good (outside of Castleton). I suspect the latter, but idk.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This last game vs K State I thought would be a huge blowout. I am impressed they held K state to 64 and 37% shooting. The D is there, but the offense is bad. This is the same issue with MW. The D was always decent to very good, but the offense was atrocious.

I was hoping for more offense from Golden this year. The inexperience is showing. He needs to maximize the talent each guy brings instead of saying jack up threes. They shoot 50% from twos, but threes are not good at all. So more ball movement to create better 2 point shots at the rim would be wonderful.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
About 1/3 of the people I work with are K-staters. Fortunately, I wasn't predicting a Gator win.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
You must have to speak slowly and repeat yourself often.
:lol: I work at a huge commodities-focused financial firm. A lot of these folks grew up in the ag industry and are now commercial traders and brokers. They're actually pretty smart with heapings of good farm-raised common sense.

But I do hear a lot "buy lumber, sell beans," on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.