Gator Baseball Florida breaks ground on $65 million baseball stadium

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
n a picture-perfect day for baseball — sunny, breezy and warm — the University of Florida broke ground on a new $65-million baseball stadium Friday.

The ceremony drew several hundred, including some financial donors, UF president Kent Fuchs and dozens of former Gator players, including Matt LaPorta, Darren O’Day and Allen Trammell.

“It’s a great day for Florida baseball, for Florida athletics and for the University of Florida,” Fuchs said. “This is a huge step forward as we set the standard for the SEC and the NCAA.”

Sticklin said the plan is to start tearing down McKethan Stadium and clearing the site after the 2020 season. At that time, construction will begin on the football facility if UF has met some fundraising benchmarks between now and then, Stricklin said.

“Assuming we hit where we need to, we should be ready to start then,” he said. “That’s about an 18-month project. If we hit all our marks, when our team is coming back from their bowl game after the 2021 season, our football team should be ready to move into their new training center.”

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
2022 now at the earliest “if” we meet fundraising benchmarks. This is such BS. They are rolling in football money and just spent $65 mill on baseball.

Holy Fuchs! The UAA secretly hates us. Or not so secretly.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile, $28 has been allotted for the Ramen noodle budget for the football program.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
How the hell can you spend that much money on a baseball field?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A $65 million baseball stadium, for the 300 people that go to the games, mostly girlfriends.

Anyone aware of a more expensive baseball facility?

My quick search finds nothing more expensive, and 50 million being the next most expensive.

This is what happens when you let baseball players run an athletic department.

Our athletic dept needs an enema.

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A $65 million baseball stadium, for the 300 people that go to the games, mostly girlfriends.

Exactly. UF has to be the only school in America that prioritizes baseball and other sports over football. I'm a baseball fan, but that is ridiculous. I understand building a new stadium to make room for the football facilities, but they could build an improved stadium for half the price and then have 30+ million extra to invest in what actually brings in money.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I like going to the baseball games but this is money poorly spent. I just came from the football stadium and that 65 Million with a ZERO attached to the end could go a long way to improving the most important facility on campus!!!!

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

My quick search finds nothing more expensive, and 50 million being the next most expensive.

This is what happens when you let baseball players run an athletic department.

Our athletic dept needs an enema.

Here’s a theory...

The UAA is looking 10 years out, thinking “football is in trouble...shrinking attendance, CTE liability, arms race, kids not caring, etc. Where do we place our bets for the future?” It’s either baseball, quidditch, or e-sports....and maybe at least they’re picking baseball over quidditch.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s a theory...

The UAA is looking 10 years out, thinking “football is in trouble...shrinking attendance, CTE liability, arms race, kids not caring, etc. Where do we place our bets for the future?” It’s either baseball, quidditch, or e-sports....and maybe at least they’re picking baseball over quidditch.
:lmao2: Yeah.... football is in trouble so let's put our money in a sport that no one has watched for 50 years. Great plan.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Wow, lots of caveats about the football facility, but we’re all in on spending an absolutely obscene amount of money on Baseball. This is the height of incompetence. So if all goes well and we raise the funds needed, the recruits that just signed with us this year will get into the new facility in their senior year assuming they don’t turn pro early. That’s just great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.