Florida fans speak out on State of the Program

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In a survey conducted by The Athletic, a NY Times rag, 377 UF fans, every one of them from Gatorchatter, weighed in on a variety of topics. Here are the results, including the most important one. 3% have threatened to pull their season ticket orders if Stricklin doesn't invest in LED lights.

Florida fan survey, part 1: Billy Napier's approval rating, program satisfaction, more

How do you rate your satisfaction with the current state of the Florida football program? (1: Poor, 5: Excellent)

• 5 — 8%
• 4 — 42%
• 3 — 39%
• 2 — 8%
• 1 — 3%

In hindsight of the Power 5 coaching carousel, who do you wish the Gators could’ve courted as head coach? (Pick up to three)

Content with Napier
90%
Lincoln Riley
40%
Lane Kiffin
14%
Mario Cristobal
13%
Mark Stoops
6%
Brent Venables
6%
James Franklin
5%
Brian Kelly
4%
Dan Lanning
2%
Tony Elliott
1%

Rate your confidence level in Napier as a game-day coach. (1: Low, 5: High)

• 5 — 9%
• 4 — 41%
• 3 — 46%
• 2 — 3%
• 1 — 1%

Rate your confidence level in Napier as a recruiter. (1: Low, 5: High)

• 5 — 47%
• 4 — 41%
• 3 — 11%
• 2 — 1%
• 1 — 0%

Rate your confidence level in Napier’s new staff. (1: Low, 5: High)

• 5 — 28%
• 4 — 18%
• 3 — 51%
• 2 — 2%
• 1 — 1%

Who is the most impactful assistant that Napier brought in?

Corey Raymond, cornerbacks
57%
Patrick Toney, defensive coordinator
24%
Rob Sale, offensive line
7%
Mike Peterson, outside linebackers
3%
Sean Spencer, defensive line
2%
Jabbar Juluke, running backs
2%
Darnell Stapleton, offensive line
2%
Jay Bateman, inside linebackers
1%
Keary Colbert, wide receivers
1%
William Peagler, tight ends
1%

What is your realistic expectation for the Florida football program?

Go nose-to-nose with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State every season
50%
Compete for the CFB Playoff every few years
38%
Win consistently
12%

With Napier as coach, how soon do you expect to see the Gators return to national championship contention?

2023 or '24
56%
2025 or beyond
43%
This year
1%

How many Florida home games do you plan on attending in 2022?

One or two
40%
None
35%
A handful
13%
Every home game
12%

What fan-friendly enhancements — anything from cheaper concessions to a renovation that adds more shaded seats, etc. — would you like to see at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium?

More shade
27%
Cheaper concessions/quicker access to them
21%
More chairback seats instead of bleachers
14%
Better Wi-Fi
3%
Better video boards
3%
LED lights
3%

What will Florida’s regular-season record be in 2022?

10-2 or better
4%
9-3
39%
8-4
44%
7-5
11%
6-6
1%
5-7 or worse
1%

What’s the biggest concern about a position (or group) facing the 2022 Gators?

Quarterback
26%
Offensive line (tackles)
17%
Wide receiver
13%
Defensive line (interior)
13%
Offensive line (interior)
12%
Inside linebacker
8%
Edge/Outside linebacker
4%
Cornerback/Nicklel
3%
Safety
2%
Tight end
1%
Special teams
1%
Running back
0%

What Florida position (or group) are you most confident in for 2022?

Running back
52%
Cornerback/Nickel
15%
Quarterback
13%
Edge/Outside linebacker
5%
Defensive line (interior)
3%
Wide receiver
3%
Offensive line (interior)
2%
Special teams
2%
Safety
2%
Inside linebacker
1%
Offensive line (tackles)
1%
Tight end
1%

Who do you want to start at quarterback in 2022?

Anthony Richardson
93%
Jack Miller
5%
Emory Jones
2%

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The confidence in recruiting is much higher than I would have expected.

Shade #1 priority in the Swamp. :exactly:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don't get this statement.

I don’t know. Everything from Lane Kiffin and Mark Stoops getting a mention, to the “one or two games”(plans to attend), to the expectations. I feel like this is the mindset I grew up around in the mid-late 80s. So dumb probably isn’t the right word. I may just be a little grouchy.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I don’t know. Everything from Lane Kiffin and Mark Stoops getting a mention, to the “one or two games”(plans to attend), to the expectations. I feel like this is the mindset I grew up around in the mid-late 80s. So dumb probably isn’t the right word. I may just be a little grouchy.

Just wait til next year, sofla!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just wait til next year, sofla!

But as a kid, it was actually never “next year”. It was always some arbitrary two or three years out timeline. So the “‘23-24” vote is perfect. Five percent want Miller starting over AR. But 56% feel we won’t be in contention for a title until he does.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I participated in the survey and I am disappointed in some of the responses although not that surprised.
I downgraded the state of the program more so than the average response and I also questioned the game day coaching ability for Napier since I haven’t seen him in game enough to be confident.

Not that it matters but the fact that any gators fan was interested in Mark Stoops as our coach makes me realize how far we have fallen and how little the average gators fan knows about college football.
The fact that only 50% of the responses stated “going nose to nose with Bama, Georgia and Ohio State” as our expectation is also disappointing.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Looks pretty much I'd expect it to look, A couple things that stick out though.

Lincoln Riley would have been a pretty popular pick but who the hell would have known he was going to do what he did?
The "in game coaching ability" part shows a bit too much optimism in my opinion just because of the stage Napier will be on but in full disclosure I never watched entire games from his prior gig to judge. Regardless there will be some adjustments due to level of competition and atmosphere/environment.

I think the confidence spread between the WR's and RB's is not surprising but I think the WR's may show up a little better than most think. If Napier involves AR's legs like he should IMO it will open up spots in the oppositions coverage making them look better, Conversely I still don't see a "goaline or gotta get 1 tough yard RB"....in fact AR might be our only option here with Pierce gone.

As far as the overall record levels go it is what I would have expected judging from what most members on here think. The big thing there will be the first 4 games of the season. Say what you want UK and UT have closed the gap or perhaps even caught up to us talentwise. And we know Utah is going to be a tough opener. A lot of this years record on paper will be determined here.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Looks pretty much I'd expect it to look, A couple things that stick out though.

Lincoln Riley would have been a pretty popular pick but who the hell would have known he was going to do what he did?
The "in game coaching ability" part shows a bit too much optimism in my opinion just because of the stage Napier will be on but in full disclosure I never watched entire games from his prior gig to judge. Regardless there will be some adjustments due to level of competition and atmosphere/environment.

I think the confidence spread between the WR's and RB's is not surprising but I think the WR's may show up a little better than most think. If Napier involves AR's legs like he should IMO it will open up spots in the oppositions coverage making them look better, Conversely I still don't see a "goaline or gotta get 1 tough yard RB"....in fact AR might be our only option here with Pierce gone.

As far as the overall record levels go it is what I would have expected judging from what most members on here think. The big thing there will be the first 4 games of the season. Say what you want UK and UT have closed the gap or perhaps even caught up to us talentwise. And we know Utah is going to be a tough opener. A lot of this years record on paper will be determined here.

I can agree on some of your points. But the W/L predictions are kind of what I was talking about with my initial comment. We’ve seen this episode before, twice recently. Previous years records mean nothing. And each of the last three firings, the coach was completely checked out if not outright sabotaging things the final season. It’s why we got duped into thinking McElwain was better than he is, and why some of us got our hopes up after 2018. Anyone who thinks we go 7–5 or 8-4 next year and still have the right head coach is crazy. Both of the last two guys inherited a mess from their predecessors and managed to win 10 games. And if either had truly tried to recruit and sustain that they likely could’ve. There are depth issues for sure. But there is also a ton of talent at various places, far more than all but 2-3 opponents. So those 7-5 type tales are what drive me crazy. National writers, fine. But how you could watch this team and think we can’t win 9-10 games next year is baffling.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I can agree on some of your points. But the W/L predictions are kind of what I was talking about with my initial comment. We’ve seen this episode before, twice recently. Previous years records mean nothing. And each of the last three firings, the coach was completely checked out if not outright sabotaging things the final season. It’s why we got duped into thinking McElwain was better than he is, and why some of us got our hopes up after 2018. Anyone who thinks we go 7–5 or 8-4 next year and still have the right head coach is crazy. Both of the last two guys inherited a mess from their predecessors and managed to win 10 games. And if either had truly tried to recruit and sustain that they likely could’ve. There are depth issues for sure. But there is also a ton of talent at various places, far more than all but 2-3 opponents. So those 7-5 type tales are what drive me crazy. National writers, fine. But how you could watch this team and think we can’t win 9-10 games next year is baffling.
Things change as the season goes on but my logic sees a tougher opening 4 weeks than maybe in years past. I agree we do have some very good talent at some positions but "across the board"(meaning all 22 position plus the kickers) I don't see what I saw in 2015 or 2018....(offensive line being the exception in 2015).....too many pieces to be filled out from the get go. I also see a QB(barring injuries) who singlehandedly could change the outcome in a couple of games making our record somewhere in the double digits....

What I don't think anyone can argue with is defensively in 2015 and again in 2018 we had virtually all NFL talent across the board and there is no denying that. That is nowhere near the case going into this season.

What I would like to see more than "shiny 10 plus win team" is a team that progressively gets better and better throughout the season despite injuries, suspensions and any other setbacks that always seem to rear it's ugly head over the course of 12 games....thats the sign of development and DEPTH....Meaning the coaches are doing their jobs Monday thru Friday instead of relying on hit and miss talent or inferior opposing talent.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You left out the 2% who think Emory Jones should start at QB.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Conversely I still don't see a "goaline or gotta get 1 tough yard RB"....in fact AR might be our only option here with Pierce gone.
What about that new kid who lit it up during the O&B game? Seemed like an unstoppable Tasmanian Devil, super jacked. He might be our go to on the goal line. Can't recall his name right now.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
89% of those 377 fans rated the overall satisfaction with the program as 3. 4 or 5???? Is that b/c the survey could only find 330 or so people who are directly related to Fooley and Strichnine? I always said we have the dumbest and most transient fan base there is, and this just solidifies my beliefs.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We gave no depth. Once some injuries start to pile up, we’re competing with mid-major type talent.
If we win 10 games with this roster, I’ll be ecstatic.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We gave no depth. Once some injuries start to pile up, we’re competing with mid-major type talent.
If we win 10 games with this roster, I’ll be ecstatic.

We couldn’t even hold a spring game in 2015 because we had 6 total OL. Our best player on that unit was a transfer from Fordham who, as was later discovered, could barely pick up a 30lb kettle bell. Treon half the year. Less talent than ut and (probably) uga, but still beat both. And our best WR was a Freshman that year.

2018 we had to overcome 3 years of McElwain’s recruiting, Franks and had depth issues all over the place.

I’m not denying we have depth concerns. I’m just saying we still have more talent than all the teams on our schedule minus maybe two. I think we read too much into the final year of the previous regime. UF is rarely, if ever, a legit 7-8(or less) win team talent-wise. And that’s before the portal. We can disagree, but I see nothing that says we can’t win 9-10 games this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator