Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Exactly, if I had my wishes the starting line up next year would be:

PG: Allen
SG: Okauru
SF: Stone
PF: Bassett
C: Hayes

Clearly I think Hudson is gone. Ballard could back up at the guard/SF spots and Gak could back up the post positions. That is a 7 man rotation you can win with and then if some of the Frosh are as good as advertised or develop, then you can add to the rotation.
Nembhard
Allen
Hudson
Stone
Daum

In reality I hope it is

Nembhard
Allen
Hudson
Stone
Bassett/Gak/Hayes

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can't write off Hayes or Gak or anybody at the 5. They had no real coaching at that position.
Whatever style play was being practiced, look what happened = Egor came in ave 17/game, ave 13.8 for UF and K.Allen went from a hot 16 ave to ave of 11.?? Style of play practiced screwed up specific performers.?? Allen and Egor had to struggle to be less than what they once were ?? Anybody believe next year's style will be to attack the basket or piddle-pass outside??

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, if I had my wishes the starting line up next year would be:

PG: Allen
SG: Okauru
SF: Stone
PF: Bassett
C: Hayes

Clearly I think Hudson is gone. Ballard could back up at the guard/SF spots and Gak could back up the post positions. That is a 7 man rotation you can win with and then if some of the Frosh are as good as advertised or develop, then you can add to the rotation.
Allen needs to be the 2

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Allen needs to be the 2

Agreed. Okauru and Nembhard will man the PG spot IMO.

Also saw Eggy posted a “Thank You” message on instagram. Thinking he’s not applying for medical redshirt at this point

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. Okauru and Nembhard will man the PG spot IMO.

Also saw Eggy posted a “Thank You” message on instagram. Thinking he’s not applying for medical redshirt at this point
That's a bummer...if he were to come back we'd have a legit frontcourt

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It is a shame Eggy is leaving. I wish him the best. I assume Hudson is coming back with his bad reputation. As the season has progressed his selfishness has him going from borderline 1st round to borderline undraftable. He's trending towards undraftable right now. Next season depends on certain guys. Johnson needs to add 20-25 pounds. From what I hear, Stokes needs to lose weight. And PG comes down to a kid who has never played a minute in college. I realize he is a 5 star, but it makes me nervous. Finally, White needs to get away from small ball.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It is a shame Eggy is leaving. I wish him the best. I assume Hudson is coming back with his bad reputation. As the season has progressed his selfishness has him going from borderline 1st round to borderline undraftable. He's trending towards undraftable right now. Next season depends on certain guys. Johnson needs to add 20-25 pounds. From what I hear, Stokes needs to lose weight. And PG comes down to a kid who has never played a minute in college. I realize he is a 5 star, but it makes me nervous. Finally, White needs to get away from small ball.

Where does the selfish tag for Hudson come from? I’ve only ever heard it from a few posters on here. Have any links or anything, cuz I’m honestly curious where that’s coming from?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Where does the selfish tag for Hudson come from? I’ve only ever heard it from a few posters on here. Have any links or anything, cuz I’m honestly curious where that’s coming from?

I'll have to ask my brother. He's an nba junkie and sends me stuff all the time. That's where Hudson's bad reputation is coming from. Personally, I think his "I'll play D when I feel like it" attitude really harmed this team. It isn't just Hudson either. In some of the things my brother sent me, a few scouts said UF was the most selfish team they had ever scouted. You could see in White's comments he had given up trying to fix it. They weren't listening. That is possibly a huge red flag on White.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing from moments during a game when Hudson has the ball and the mentality of i'll just chuck it up regardless of where he's at or how many people are on him

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mike White has the program on the right track. Gotta play with who you've got and mold and shape the team to your strengths each year. He has done that with 3 20 win season and 2/3 NCAA tourney. Gotta keep it up though. Go Gators!!

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'll have to ask my brother. He's an nba junkie and sends me stuff all the time. That's where Hudson's bad reputation is coming from. Personally, I think his "I'll play D when I feel like it" attitude really harmed this team. It isn't just Hudson either. In some of the things my brother sent me, a few scouts said UF was the most selfish team they had ever scouted. You could see in White's comments he had given up trying to fix it. They weren't listening. That is possibly a huge red flag on White.

Let me know what you find

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Egbunu will most likely go overseas. He is in no way ready for the NBA and never will be

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Can't write off Hayes or Gak or anybody at the 5. They had no real coaching at that position.
Whatever style play was being practiced, look what happened = Egor came in ave 17/game, ave 13.8 for UF and K.Allen went from a hot 16 ave to ave of 11.?? Style of play practiced screwed up specific performers.?? Allen and Egor had to struggle to be less than what they once were ?? Anybody believe next year's style will be to attack the basket or piddle-pass outside??

Same coaches had Egbunu playing pretty well before the injury. Hayes has made progress each year but simply is not a full time starter in this league. No amount of coaching is going to change that. Same with Gak. Also look at the progress Bassett made over the course of the season. He got the same coaching. Bottom line is John Wooden himself could not turn Hayes into Alcindor or Walton. Hayes strength is the energy he brings, his leadership and shot blocking. He will improve next year again....but he still will not be a double-double guy.

Egor was no longer playing at Rice. Allen had to share the ball with Hudson and Egor.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Graduate Transfer Target: FGCU’s Zach Johnson

https://www.gatorcountry.com/florida-gators-basketball/graduate-transfer-target-fgcus-zach-johnson/

The Player I Think The Gators Should Target

Zach Johnson

Current School: Florida Gulf Coast University
Birthplace: Miami, Florida
6’2” 195 Pounds
2017-2018 Stats
Points Per Game: 16.1
Assists Per Game: 3.0
Rebounds Per Game: 3.3
Steals Per Game: 2.0

Johnson is an explosive guard, a powerful and compact 6’2” and 195 pounds that is a frame built for contact. After redshirting his true freshman year with an injury, he instantly stepped into a massive role for the Eagles and have been a major piece of the program these last three seasons. That first year redshirt has allowed him to be a graduate transfer, should he decide to utilize that option.

Has He Been Released?

No. Not yet.

Do You Think He Will Get A Release And Transfer?

Yes. Firstly, because he has the opportunity to because he took a first year redshirt and I feel like a player of his caliber wants to go to the biggest stage and showcase his abilities. A 3-star recruit out of high school he’s not a player who came out of nowhere and he has developed himself into a player that should be competing against the nations best. Look at two of the nation’s best point guards still leading their teams in the Sweet Sixteen. Jevon Carter at West Virginia and Keenan Evans at Texas Tech. Were they highly rated recruits out of high school? No. Carter was 299th in the country, and Evans was 315th. Both developed their games throughout their college careers and became top-10 point guards in college basketball in their senior years.

Johnson was ranked 276th. Right in the same range as those guys. On the same career trajectory. Could the Gators get an elite point guard just like that? I think they could.

Secondly, there are tons of rumors that Florida Gulf Coast’s head coach Joe Dooley is about to leave to take on a different job. He’s been rumored in jobs such as UMass, Rhode Island (if Hurley left for one of the big openings currently available), and most likely, East Carolina. There is not a lot of optimism amongst Florida Gulf Coast fans that he is going to be there next season. If he were to leave, Johnson would be playing for a coach he didn’t commit to so I don’t see why he wouldn’t look to play elsewhere. Players in his class that he committed to play with such as Brandon Goodwin, Christian Terrell, and Antravious Simmons are all graduating as seniors, further changing the experience he would have if he stayed with the Eagles. I really expect him to utilize the graduate transfer rule.

Strengths

Johnson is really efficient offensively. Averaging 16.1 points per game he was arguably the Eagles best player and he did it extremely efficiently shooting 52.1% from 2-point range and an excellent 39.2% from 3-point land on 5 attempts per game. The offensive tool he would bring to the Gators is the his ability to drive into the paint, using his speed and power to beat his primary defender and either finish in the paint himself or attract secondary defenders so he can kick the ball out. That ability to pressure the defense from the point was something the Gators didn’t have as much last year and it’s something the Johnson thrives at. He also plays great in transition and can get to the hoop on the fast break, something that was on display with the up-tempo Florida Gulf Coast team. The Gators, without a lot of wings capable of finishing well inside, often resorted to jump shots in transition and Johnson would give them a player capable of getting right to the hoop for layups or fouls. The dimension of a driving guard would bring another weapon to Florida’s offense and the fact that he can shoot the ball well too means you aren’t making the same sacrifices you often have to make with other slashing guards. Often playing with fellow ball handler Brandon Goodwin and sharing the point duties he didn’t have incredible assist numbers but 3 per game isn’t bad, and it would put him at second place if he were on the Gators last year. His experience in two point guard lineups means he could seamlessly play with Nembhard, who at 6’4” would still provide size in the backcourt.

Johnson’s presence on the defensive end would also be welcomed. The way he can pressure the ball and get into opposing ball handlers would be very reminiscent of Chiozza, and with Johnson’s larger frame he would even be more of a deterrent in some matchups with stronger guards. At 2 steals per game his thievery was on full display last season and anyone who knows Mike White knows he loves his point guards to be able to pressure the ball. He has also been vocal about wanting his point guards to be physical guarding the ball, something Kasey Hill did well but Chiozza wasn’t as good at with his slighter frame. Johnson could get the Gators’ defense back to being physical at the point of attack, something that would help the entire team scheme.

x-Factors

Experience. Johnson has played a ton of basketball in his three seasons starting 86 of 103 games played and averaging 26.9, 29.3, and 32.4 minutes per game in those years. For reference, Florida’s career workhorse Chris Chiozza played 3495 minutes in his four-year career and after three seasons, Johnson is already at 3043. Despite being from a small conference Johnson has played in 3 NCAA Tournament and 1 NIT game, postseason experience that even Canyon Barry and Egor Koulechov didn’t have. He’s also a big game player that has stepped up the big challenges and good competition. Against Wichita State in the non conference he scored 19 points showing he could hang with good competition, and in the Atlantic Sun Conference championship game this year he scored 37 points and hit 9-13 three-pointers against Lipscomb to try and will his team to a NCAA Tournament birth. If he were to leave Florida Gulf Coast, his final game with them would be a 23 point performance in the NIT against a really good Oklahoma State team with excellent guard play, further supporting Johnson’s big game potential. Consistency has also been a huge part of his game and he’s been a double figures scorer in each of his seasons, so you know exactly what you’re going to get from him. He’s also a Florida kid, and staying in-state could be one of Florida’s advantages when recruiting a player that will have tons of other interest. He has also played against the Gators in the non-conference portion of the season in 2016 and 2017, and perhaps seeing those teams play will also be a lure.

Bottom Line

If a scholarship opened and the Gators were looking for a graduate transfer I think the point guard position is the most important to fill and I think Zach Johnson is the perfect player for the Gators. He brings an ability to drive and finish that the Gators lacked from their backcourt last year and his defensive prowess and the style he guards are exactly what Mike White longs for from his lead man. He is from the state and would be transferring to another school in-state so I think this is a serious possibility. If you think the Gators should look for a big man instead of a point guard I would implore you to take a look at the Gators’ returning pieces and I think you’ll see they can manage quite adequately. If you look around the landscape of college basketball it’s teams with veteran guards that succeed and though I have faith in Nembhard (believe me, as the first Canadian Gator I will be his HUGEST fan) I think shoring up that position and adding backcourt depth would be the best thing to do.

And I think Zach Johnson is the perfect fit for that position.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I would rather have a big guy grad transfer, but if Johnson would play PG exclusively that may work out.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Same coaches had Egbunu playing pretty well before the injury. Hayes has made progress each year but simply is not a full time starter in this league. No amount of coaching is going to change that. Same with Gak. Also look at the progress Bassett made over the course of the season. He got the same coaching. Bottom line is John Wooden himself could not turn Hayes into Alcindor or Walton. Hayes strength is the energy he brings, his leadership and shot blocking. He will improve next year again....but he still will not be a double-double guy.

Egor was no longer playing at Rice. Allen had to share the ball with Hudson and Egor.

Right. But this coaching consortium is all these players have known & us too. No way can it be said what other results another coaching-cog or two would produce. Egor's no longer at Rice but he's also got more experience than when he played for Rice. 6'11" Egbunu remained the same 'mediocre' performer from the start of that season up through to his injury - no season-growth development is what I'm talking about. All across the college landscape "Big-Men" improved as their season transpired. What they practiced made them better. And with that, those teams got better inside. No one can offer certainty this or that coach would have been futile in helping Hayes or Gak or our others. Until we call it out & expect an inside game, we'll keep getting perimeter piddling. All that can be concluded with accuracy is that UF had no inside growth. To accept that UF's inside recruits are worse than what all those other colleges got : Auburn, Bama, UGa, MSU, Ole Miss, UT, UK, etc. & that's just in the SEC, what about teams that made the big dance ? Well, to accept that UF coaches alone had an un-improveable crop of "big men" seems a "cop out". Don't it ? UF's coaching/practicing enhanced what ? as the season transpired ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.