Gator Basketball Florida loses at home to the Vols

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Leave Hudson out from the beginning to the end and we'll get an upswing of 6-10 points. Defense will improve.
We are missing inside play, so White doesn't let Stokes play and learn, doesn't figure best ways to use Bassett and Stone teaming inside? Spend the first 12 games training by playing them inside. Press Stokes, Bassett, Stone for in the paint performance ... nothing else. It could cause Hayes to improve with inside help? We need those FGs that can become 65% scores. Winning by 30% 3s is a myth believed by lazy coaches.

We face several UT caliber teams in a row now. Has there been a hint that White doesn't believe these guys are coachable? Is that the way of his coaching effort? If this team looks lost, he lost them. Weary watching it all.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
We were something like 17-21 from the line. Not perfect, but not bad.

That's 81% from the line. I'll take that all season long!

Gators were also 12/32 for 37.5% from 3 point range. I'll take that as well.

But were an abysmal 7/22 31.8% from inside the arc.

Tennessee took less FT shots, and at a lower percentage (11/14 for 78% - plenty good enough)

Vols bested UF in 3-pt percentage, on less attempts (9/23 for 39.1%)

But inside the arc, where UF stunk it up, UT made 62.5% of their 2-pt shots on 20/32 shooting

The stats bear out what we knew already. Florida's inside game is beyond weak. But one of the things that is often complained about, is Mike White's focus on defense. The eye test showed good defense by the Gators in the first half, but once Tennessee start pushing it into the paint, Florida's inside D couldn't get the job done.

The game plan from White indicates that he knows the weaknesses of the team (lack of talented bigs), and is doing pretty much what he can with what he has. He's definitely signed bigs to shore up the weaknesses.

The question is, once White has his bigs (next season), can he coach them up and create a balanced offense that takes what the defense gives them, rather than living and dying by the 3?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Piss poor shot selection would be my guess

Lol when has White ever benched a player for poor shot selection? His teams have consistently consisted of little movement and contested shots.

Plus, Allen was our best offensive player today. No excuse to have him on the pine.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Lol when has White ever benched a player for poor shot selection? His teams have consistently consisted of little movement and contested shots.

Plus, Allen was our best offensive player today. No excuse to have him on the pine.

Probably that out of control air ball he threw up just prior to getting benched.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
fckkkkkkkkkkk tennerseee...........Barnes is the Mark Richt of BB. i will leave you with this.......
50513914_2219008298352129_3635149809825873920_n.png

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
He's not going to look as good, he's facing better talent.
I think Nembhard is going to be great. He's an excellent ball handler and a tremendous passer. Just not a scorer and still learning. For a young guy in a very crucial position, he's the best player on the team. His youth just shows though sometimes.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I didn't expect us to hang with them. But losing yo ur 1st two home games in conference isn't good all.

And, Locke is gonna be a stud.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
NIT bound. Sucks. Looks like White will be on the hot seat next year. White hot.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Preseason practices, reg season practices is what all coaches get to mold an operational team. 10 SEC teams' coaching has produced W-L results much better than White. In fact those 10 teams are well positioned for a March Madness invite. Florida is not.

Blame the players? Coach White owns these players just like those 10 better SEC coaches own theirs = they own how they play. Most importantly the coaches own the manner in which their team handles the ball and the manner in which they score, the manner in which they move towards the rim. Our players should be drilled & drilled about where to position themselves when Locke shoots from the corner, when Allen shoots from 6 o'clock, from 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock, etc.

Gotta have, fast low dribbling, fast sure passing. When our ball handler is outside, standing erect, bouncing the ball up to his waist or above, every defensive player has time to be ready to ruin your plan. We do not make defenders nervous, mistake-prone. Lean forward, spot your teammate's position, quick bounces, looking for the drive, pre-seeing your move and dish-off. 'Show' your defender that he better think, because a scoring movement is about to happen. We stand erect, lazily high-dribble in the "I can always take this 3-try" form. From what I hear of White's shoot-it,shoot-it advice, that's the training & mindset our guys get ?? Isn't that what's showing up on-screen??

Our opponents are going inside, taking those 65% shots, while we take those 30% far-out shots -- game after game, all season, no change.

At present, the neon lights on White flash : "He's not good enough to make UF a routine SEC contender."

Okay, while we cannot fire White, we urgently need a coach who doesn't coach like White, who doesn't develop players like White does, who puts the right value on an inside game, who puts a better product on the floor. That will improve UF basketball. What we're getting is not the style of Florida basketball that we want. That is required to make UF basketball 'watch-worthy'.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Preseason practices, reg season practices is what all coaches get to mold an operational team. 10 SEC teams' coaching has produced W-L results much better than White. In fact those 10 teams are well positioned for a March Madness invite. Florida is not.

Blame the players? Coach White owns these players just like those 10 better SEC coaches own theirs = they own how they play. Most importantly the coaches own the manner in which their team handles the ball and the manner in which they score, the manner in which they move towards the rim. Our players should be drilled & drilled about where to position themselves when Locke shoots from the corner, when Allen shoots from 6 o'clock, from 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock, etc.

Gotta have, fast low dribbling, fast sure passing. When our ball handler is outside, standing erect, bouncing the ball up to his waist or above, every defensive player has time to be ready to ruin your plan. We do not make defenders nervous, mistake-prone. Lean forward, spot your teammate's position, quick bounces, looking for the drive, pre-seeing your move and dish-off. 'Show' your defender that he better think, because a scoring movement is about to happen. We stand erect, lazily high-dribble in the "I can always take this 3-try" form. From what I hear of White's shoot-it,shoot-it advice, that's the training & mindset our guys get ?? Isn't that what's showing up on-screen??

Our opponents are going inside, taking those 65% shots, while we take those 30% far-out shots -- game after game, all season, no change.

At present, the neon lights on White flash : "He's not good enough to make UF a routine SEC contender."

Okay, while we cannot fire White, we urgently need a coach who doesn't coach like White, who doesn't develop players like White does, who puts the right value on an inside game, who puts a better product on the floor. That will improve UF basketball. What we're getting is not the style of Florida basketball that we want. That is required to make UF basketball 'watch-worthy'.
I saw a practice film clip where we were practicing going after loose balls, diving and the whole bit. To me that was pretty lame, our boys hustle very well. That practice time could have been better spent running plays to get inside and shooting (and making) 7 to 12 footers. That is something at which we are very poor.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Right Frozen. It smacked of Charlie Weiss' 1st practice at Kansas. He told them "You've forgotten how good it feels to win here at Kansas." So he arranged for the FG kicker to kick a FG from the 20, a game winning FG. He instructed the team lining the sidelines to rush onto the field jumping, hollering for that victory. They did so in grand style, but the kicker missed the chip shot.

Anyway, think what bad coaching that is. Players instinctively, instantly dive for the ball = now White's taught them to 'think' about it before they leap - the way they practiced. ?? This leans towards fake McElwain.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I think Nembhard is going to be great. He's an excellent ball handler and a tremendous passer. Just not a scorer and still learning. For a young guy in a very crucial position, he's the best player on the team. His youth just shows though sometimes.
I agree, he was just facing talented, experienced veteran guards. He is going to be great. He acquitted himself well in the game, there was just no way he was going take it over.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was at the game and for someone who was looking to attend an entertaining college basketball game, well that was it. The way it played out the game could have gone either way and was not decided until the final minute. But this is a Gator board, so I will go with that angle. It took above average 3 point shooting and some foul trouble on UT for us to hang in that game. If both teams play to their normal game, no way we can compete with UT. With that said, the most obvious thing, that has been mentioned, why was Allen on the bench after he threw up a terrible air ball on a fade away? that isolation play was called by Mike, b/c on one of the previous possessions, Allen had scored on the same defender in isolation with his back to the basket. Don;t get me wrong Allen should be on the bench a lot but on nites when his shot is on, whether they are good or bad looks, he needs to be in the game. when he scores he is engaged while on the floor. When he does nor score he does nothing to help the team in any way. So those few times he is feeling it, he needs to be on the floor. did Mike not realize he was not in game? does not one assistant understand the game situation? Assistants have specific things they are in charge of! Mike sucks at game management that lack of attention to detail is inexcusable. UT got away from who they are in the 1st half, and decided to go into the low post the entire 2nd half. that type of play is more reliable, but we don;t have a low post presence, I get that. But here is what I don;t get. If we are going to jack up 3 times as many 3 point shots as 2 pointers, then we will win games on occasion that we should not, but we will lose to teams we should not. See USCe. We do have, I believe, a very good lead (point) guard. Tho he is not a good shooter, he is a willing and a good passer. He has the ball in his hands a lot. Yet other than a high screen and roll where he will lob the ball to a big guy whose defender has switched, NemRod, has very few options to make good, easy passes for baskets b/c his teammates are just standing still.The thought is that when NemRod drives, defenders will sluff off their guys who are floating at the arc, thus creating a look from 3. but what happens when they don't help on NemRod, what is he supposed to do since he is not a great shooter or finisher? My point is NemRod while probing the defense could greatly benefit from off the ball movement and action. He will find an open, cutting teammate. There are ways to score inside the arc without having a true low post presence. Mike needs to take advantage of having a good, willing passer at PG. The most dangerous player on the floor is the guy with the ball. The 2nd most dangerous is a screener, anywhere on the floor. The screener tends to get forgotten about, especially one setting OFF THE BALL screens. Lastly, one thing has never changed about offensive basketball. the easiest player to guard on the offensive end is that player who is standing still.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I am beginning to fault coach, he does not seem to be making adjustments during the game. Now missing layups and allowing dunks is not really on him. Allen might have needed to sit for one or two plays but at the end should have been in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator