Gator Basketball ***Florida @ Mississippi St BBALL Game Tread***

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Good lord
Could someone draw up a couple in bound plays , on a napkin or something.
Worst team I’ve ever seen trying to inbound the damn ball.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Also for those who love talking about how we used to suck in 1969 and we’re just “spoiled fans” for expecting competence

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
This was an ugly win to watch--but an impressive road win for the team, which has really turned things around from earlier this season.

Golden is making the most of what he has and the players are starting to buy-in, even if execution is lacking in a lot of areas.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This was an ugly win to watch--but an impressive road win for the team, which has really turned things around from earlier this season.

Golden is making the most of what he has and the players are starting to buy-in, even if execution is lacking in a lot of areas.
I can’t agree he is making the most of what he has. We have significantly more talent than the team we were playing tonight and really lucked into the win. We were blowing all our closing possessions, not blocking out or rebounding and hoping Miss St would miss their last 4 shots from a few feet from the rim. Castle particularly played poorly in the closing minutes.

This was anything but an impressive win. But any conference road win is a good win. Need to play a lot better if we want to make the tournament because this was probably the easiest game on our remaining schedule.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I can’t agree he is making the most of what he has. We have significantly more talent than the team we were playing tonight and really lucked into the win. We were blowing all our closing possessions, not blocking out or rebounding and hoping Miss St would miss their last 4 shots from a few feet from the rim. Castle particularly played poorly in the closing minutes.

This was anything but an impressive win. But any conference road win is a good win. Need to play a lot better if we want to make the tournament because this was probably the easiest game on our remaining schedule.

It's a Quadrant 1 win on the road and more "winnable" than some of the other, tougher ones on the schedule, so the fact we went there and still grinded out a win is impressive, even if it was sloppy and frequently difficult to watch. Especially given that Miss State is a senior-ladden team and we are most certainly not.

I also don't think we're a very talented team TBH and perhaps that's something you disagree with--but winning 4 of our last 5 after the start we had to the year shows me he's doing something different and I'll give Golden credit for that, though to be clear, I wasn't a fan of the hire.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Glad we won, but there was some sloppy play out there to close both halves. CTG better show some significant recruiting skills over the next few months...

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good lord
Could someone draw up a couple in bound plays , on a napkin or something.
Worst team I’ve ever seen trying to inbound the damn ball.
Since the NFL game was out of hand I watched the 2nd half. Congrats on the win, but the half court offense is an embarrassment. They look like Mike's squads with the players without the ball having their shoes buried in concrete.

Regarding the out of bounds plays, that is 100% correct. Whether underneath our own basket or in the backcourt absolutely atrocious. Throw to the corner and get trapped immediately. As mentioned, Mike was good at inbounds plays in the front court, but he too was horrendous at inbounding against the press in the backcourt.

Lastly, how can Joe Kleine, the color ANALyst, who played college and NBA ball not know the RULES? Yes you have 10 seconds to advance the ball past half court, but if you take a timeout, that gets reset. Here is the thesis Joe. You TRADE a TO for the right to get that 10 seconds back!

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Since the NFL game was out of hand I watched the 2nd half. Congrats on the win, but the half court offense is an embarrassment. They look like Mike's squads with the players without the ball having their shoes buried in concrete.

Regarding the out of bounds plays, that is 100% correct. Whether underneath our own basket or in the backcourt absolutely atrocious. Throw to the corner and get trapped immediately. As mentioned, Mike was good at inbounds plays in the front court, but he too was horrendous at inbounding against the press in the backcourt.

Lastly, how can Joe Kleine, the color ANALyst, who played college and NBA ball not know the RULES? Yes you have 10 seconds to advance the ball past half court, but if you take a timeout, that gets reset. Here is the thesis Joe. You TRADE a TO for the right to get that 10 seconds back!
Yeah, same here.
I turned to the Gator game during the Eagles game.
I actually watched the first half thinking this game is reverse of the A&M game.
We couldn’t hit a lay up in that game, yet last night we were red hot in the first half.

I never thought we were going to run away from State and get an easy win.

Strange how switching baskets to start the 2nd half swings momentum and shooting accuracy.
I was waiting for the inevitable collapse and the State run.
We were lucky as hell that not one of those 4 shots around the basket didn’t fall.

Agree with your entire post.
I just can’t believe we haven’t taken care of this inbound stuff the entire season. It’s a glaring deficiency that’s shown in every single game.

Also, Castleton needs to stop this dribbling the entire court crap and he needs to stop missing lay ups and put backs.
But, he’s been missing stuff under the basket since he’s been here.
It’s frustrating.
It seems at times, he’s a turnover machine too.
Last guy I want handling the ball in the closing seconds is Castelton.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I thought the same thing. Pretty embarrassing for ESPN as well since these kinds of things happen all the time in college basketball and football.

You get paid for EXPERT analysis, is it too much to ask that you dust off a rule book every once and a while?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It's a Quadrant 1 win on the road and more "winnable" than some of the other, tougher ones on the schedule, so the fact we went there and still grinded out a win is impressive, even if it was sloppy and frequently difficult to watch. Especially given that Miss State is a senior-ladden team and we are most certainly not.

I also don't think we're a very talented team TBH and perhaps that's something you disagree with--but winning 4 of our last 5 after the start we had to the year shows me he's doing something different and I'll give Golden credit for that, though to be clear, I wasn't a fan of the hire.
No doubt, getting this quad one win was crucial if we are to make a run at getting in the dance. But the way we tried to give it away after we built the lead back up was disappointing. It was absolutely just luck that kept it from going to overtime. I think there is plenty of talent on this roster to compete with a strong SEC but they are still finding themselves. There
is more than one future NBA player on this team but Golden needs to get them out of their end of game funk and especially inbounding and having a play ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator