Florida State is in shambles; add Randy Shannon to help them "more than they will ever know"

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Slevin, Nov 24, 2018.

?

Which would you rather see?

1. UF wins 2020 National Championship

82.7%
  2. FSU football program permanently dismantled

17.3%
  1. HumbleGator

HumbleGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $98
    Ratings:
    +124 / -4
    Lol...I just love this place.

• Musclepug

Musclepug never go full retard
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $19,367
      Ratings:
      +23,991 / -413
    • Musclepug

Musclepug never go full retard
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $19,367
      Ratings:
      +23,991 / -413

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $21,819
        Ratings:
        +32,882 / -284
        Met that kid once. Cockiest punk I’ve come across at this level. When I casually threw out the idea of him flipping to us(under McElwain, ftr), he was arrogant and emphatic that only Alabama could flip him and he was thinking about it. I’m not even sure he had a commitable from them.

[​IMG]

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $10,161
          Ratings:
          +19,120 / -94
          I clicked the link. Saw her pic. Older lady. Then I saw her time at UF.

We overlapped. She’s clearly several years younger than me.
          :headslap:

Apparently, I’m much older than I think I am. :embarrassed:

Then I wondered what she looked like back then and if there’s any chance we may have crossed paths. She probably wrote for the Alligator under her maiden name, right? I seem to recall an editor named Andrea but that was a lotta years and a lotta bourbon ago.

Sometimes you hear stories about celebrities (like Marco Rubio and John Morgan) back when they attended UF and it’s a little surreal.

Alex.

• Gator By Marriage

Gator By Marriage A convert to Gatorism
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $11,259
            Ratings:
            +12,917 / -209
            Chill, Swonk. I was just putting the man’s quote in the proper context. It’s why I added the part at the end. As has pretty much everyone else here, I’ve met some Nulls who were idiots and some who were OK.

#4506 Gator By Marriage, Nov 19, 2020
            Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
          • gatordad3

gatordad3 You're stewed, buttwad!
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,803
            Ratings:
            +3,645 / -45
            The Cocks just might beat them to it.

• JDW

JDW Well-Known Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $7,087
            Ratings:
            +8,862 / -449
            Apparently they want Napier or Freeze I would prefer them not having Freeze

• PastyStoole

PastyStoole Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $2,434
              Ratings:
              +4,792 / -87
              I've got a helluva story about the Alligator, if you will indulge me.

When I was at UF a fellow student named Koretzky ran the Alligator. I didn't know him, but I must've met him. I went to dozens of their parties, each more notorious than the next. They had parties in the newsroom sometimes, sometimes off-campus, but I always found my way to them, even though I had no affiliation other than knowing a couple of writers and a "stripper," (the guy who sets the film images up to create printing plates). It was a real cowboy culture there. Pretty much anything went in the newsroom. Koretzky was a hardass about everything related to the publication. But he allowed pretty much anything to go on in the newsroom. People frequently did drugs, drank all day, and had sex there.

One day a 19-year-old kid named Sam Hirsh walked into the newsroom with a copy of an internally distributed fraternity publication called "The Four O'Clock Weekly." Hirsh had recently been a brother at Beta Theta Pi, but had quit when he could no longer bear the abuse and ridicule he received from his brothers. Hirsh was a Jewish kid, the brothers picked on him, hammered him with slurs constantly, and generally treated him like shyt. The publication he handed over to Koretzky contained some of the vilest, filthiest, profoundly misogynistic stories you've ever seen. It had a beer graph that instructed brothers on how many beers it would require to bed each little sister in the house. Each little sister had a derogatory nickname, "Basketball Head," "Anvil Head," etc. It had detailed accounts of what they called "RM Missions" where they would prop a ladder on the side of the house and watch their brothers engage in sex acts with girlfriends. It gave a graphic account of one brother who smeared his girlfriend's menses on his roommate's pillow. And it had lots and lots and lots of racial slurs.

Koretzky took the zine from the kid, who did not see the humor in the stories and was seeking to expose these guys for being the misogynistic, fun-loving racists that they were. So Koretzky interviewed the kid and filed the story in what he promised would be a series of many more to come. He quoted from the text and promised to reveal more in the coming days. He set to work following up on the story leads, tracking down brothers, talking to others who had quit the frat and interviewing faculty to get their take on what punishment should be expected, etc.

The story was so inflammatory that it broke nationally almost immediately. Hirsh was interviewed on Good Morning America, the AP wire picked it up and every major daily in the country ran a story on it.

When I read the story that morning in the Alligator, my first thought was, "I have got to get ahold of a copy of that thing!"

The "stripper" I mentioned earlier was a guitarist I played with. I gave him the use of my Fostex recording machine, which he was dying to lay tracks on, and asked him to get me a copy of the "Four O'Clock Weekly" in exchange. That night when I got home from class, he'd left a sub, a joint, (which I gave to my roommate), and the "Four O'Clock Weekly." I dove into it and the sub immediately. The first thing I noticed, was that it had editor's marks on it in heavy pencil with handwritten notes. I thought that was a little weird but I plowed on, sometimes amused by what I was reading, sometimes sickened, but in the end feeling like I had done something really dirty.

I took the publication home during the break and left it on my desk. My mom found it, read it cover to cover, threw it right into the garbage in disgust and I never saw it again. End of story. Literally.

About 12 years later a guy who had become famous for publishing a successful alternatively weekly in South Florida calls me. He knew my name because I started an unsuccessful one in Palm Beach County that ran weekly for three years. "This is Koretzky," he said. "Wanna start a paper with me?" "Meet me at Denny's and we'll talk about it."

And thus began my love/hate relationship with this brilliant man. We ran a weekly called the Free Press out of an office on Clematis Street for three years before we sold it. We laughed and fought and put out a bunch of good and bad stories. In the end, we were pretty proud of it.

In all that time, I'd never known Koretzky's background. I knew he'd gone to Florida, didn't really know much else about him. One day we met for lunch a few years after we sold the paper. I'd remembered he was in the J school at Florida and I asked him if he knew a buddy of mine. He said, yes, the cat had worked as a writer for him when he was the editor of the Alligator. I told him I remembered the parties, he laughed. I mentioned my buddy and the Four O'Clock Weekly and he froze. "Are you serious?" he asked, "You're the guy? All these years I thought it was one of those scumbags in Sports who stole it. Do you know you killed my story? I had the best story ever, landed right in my lap, and you killed it! That was the only copy we had."

• Funny Funny x 6
              • Like Like x 5
              • List
              • Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Engorged Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $7,004
                Ratings:
                +10,836 / -91
                Not exactly the right thread for this but...

BOWLCUT killed it!

• Funny Funny x 6
                • Like Like x 5
                • List
                • G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator Intrepid Chauvinist
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $8,491
                  Ratings:
                  +10,876 / -557
                  lmao that's awesome. What a comeback. 0-for the 21st Century.

Everything. (But championships.) School.

• GatorFL

GatorFL Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,477
                    Ratings:
                    +1,566 / -62
                    You smoked the J, don't lie.

• Towels 'N Sporks

Towels 'N Sporks We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife

Oxbucks:
                      $816
                      Ratings:
                      +1,004 / -170

Lollll. They didn't even make the NCAA tournament in basketball this year. And they usually don't... yikes

• G. Gordon Gator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $8,491
                        Ratings:
                        +10,876 / -557
                        Not saying you're lying, but that part of the story as told to you seems a little far-fetched. I've read about that incident. Sam Hirsch made multiple copies of that newsletter and gave them to the administration and other groups on campus. If your buddy only had one copy (which is hard to believe in its own right) and lost it, all he would've had to do was ask Mr. Hirsch for another and I'm sure he would've happily provided one.

From the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, Feb. 2, 1985:

Sam Hirsch, 19, a senior at the University of Florida, brought the booklet, Uncensored, The 4 O'Clock Weekly, to the attention of university officials Jan. 21. Hirsch said the booklet contains "several anti-Semitic and sexist statements that are not in keeping with what I feel are basic ideals of taste."
                        Hirsch said the book was only one of many activities he felt were wrong with the fraternity. He said the book was the "straw that broke the camel's back" and prompted him to quit the fraternity. "I have personally seen fraternity brothers take little sisters or sorority girls to their rooms," Hirsch said. "And while they were in there, the other brothers would take a ladder to the back of the house and climb up to watch while the ones in the room had sex. I have seen this with my own eyes."

Hirsch also alleged that fraternity members engaged in "constraining" the political and religious freedoms of fraternity members. He said all members of the organization were expected to "think the same way."

"On one occasion, an impromptu political rally for (President) Reagan broke out at dinner," Hirsch said. "I disagreed, because I was a Democrat and was for Mondale.
                        [Edit: :rolleyes:] I attempted to get up and leave the dining hall, but the brothers ordered the pledges to restrain me from leaving, and they did."

"They took me out in the yard and pinned me down and poured a bucket of slop from the kitchen in my face," Hirsch said. "They said their reasoning was because I tried to leave dinner before it was over."

A "beer graph" depicted in the booklet claimed to be an indication of "how many beers it takes" to seduce "certain little sisters, plus an added few" coeds around the university, Hirsch said.

I suppose this is the wrong forum for me to share my opinion of Mr. Hirsch so I'll just let y'all use your imaginations. :cool:

• PastyStoole

PastyStoole Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,434
                        Ratings:
                        +4,792 / -87
                        According to Koretzky, they implemented a whole new chain of custody procedure at the Alligator because of it. I can't speak to why he didn't go back to Hirsch. Maybe he left campus, maybe they didn't do the legwork to track him down. All I know is what Koretzky told me. I also can confirm that the story stopped after the first printing, though. I remember that well.

BTW, you can contact Koretzky and confirm that with him. He is an advisor now with the FAU student newspaper, last I heard.

• G. Gordon Gator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $8,491
                        Ratings:
                        +10,876 / -557
                        Okay well not to continue quibbling but there was definitely not only one story in The Alligator about it. They ran for weeks with the story of the newsletter and the consequential suspension of the fraternity over it, you can Google and see it. Images of the original printed pages come up on the UF Digital Collections site. I did after reading your post, and wasted a lot of time reading the other, unrelated articles from 1985-vintage Alligators haha. I got to get back to work now.

P.S. One thing I wasn't able to find was the outcome of the lawsuit. Benevolent Crusader Sam Hirsch sued the fraternity for $3 million for being big meanies to him. I suppose he intended to donate any proceeds to women's right's organizations, right?

[​IMG]

• Double Gator Dad

Double Gator Dad Senior Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,815
                        Ratings:
                        +4,130 / -91
                        For the record nobody made the tournament this year

• Funny Funny x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • List
                        • GatorInGeorgia

GatorInGeorgia Senior Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $3,721
                          Ratings:
                          +4,733 / -368
                          They’re well prepared, with plenty of experience, to fix the problem then.

• GatorInGeorgia

GatorInGeorgia Senior Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $3,721
                          Ratings:
                          +4,733 / -368
                          Do tell.

And let me guess at one...Marco took over for his uncle and was the preeminent supplier of coke to all the Gainesville party people.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $20,377
                            Ratings:
                            +27,780 / -421

• Funny Funny x 8
                            • Like Like x 3
                            • List