Foley and Spurrier

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
It seems to me having both of these guys hanging around the program is detrimental. Does any other college do this? All I read here is how Foley looking over the new guy's shoulder is bad... so, how can the same not be said for sos?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I agree. When Muschamp came on board he said that Urban was going to be some sort of consultant, maybe not in an official capacity, but Urban was going to be there just the same. Not a good idea. Later on Muschamp and Meyer got into some disputes after Meyer went to Columbus.

If you want to go back a few years look what happened when Doug Dickey came to Gainesville from Knoxville. The popular Ray Graves was kept on as athletic director. I have heard that Graves fought Dickey every inch of the way over certain things related to the football program. This was very ironic in that Dickey was a UF graduate and Graves was a UT grad. Very strange situation that one.

Foley needs to get out of the way. Spurrier has built up such good will with his time as a player and a coach, but still, Mac has to be in sole control of the football program, and I think he is. When Bobby Bowden turned over the reigns to Jimbo, who was his right hand man in Tallahassee, and was the FSU coach in waiting, Bowden got out of the way when he retired.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier bad for the program? In what way?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was Mike Belotti staying at the Oregon program bad for Chip Kelly?

Was Barry Alvarez staying in Wisconsin bad for Bret Bielema

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In general I agree that having the ex whatever hanging around is not good for the new guy. In the case of Spurrier he last coached at UF 15 years ago so he is not the immediate ex-coach. I wonder how many people in the football program every even worked for Spurrier?

As for Foley, it is much more of a problem in my view. Just last week the staff of the AD answered to Foley, looked to Foley for what to do. Now someone else it in the job, but Foley is still there.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Six weeks ago, everyone here was convinced that the mere presence of SOS guaranteed us 35+ points a game.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bringing Spurrier back is one of the best things our program has done in the last six years.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was Mike Belotti staying at the Oregon program bad for Chip Kelly?

Was Barry Alvarez staying in Wisconsin bad for Bret Bielema
Belotti was run off, big time and all I hear about Wisky is that Alvarez is into everything when he shouldn't be. So yeah, I'd say yes.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Bringing Spurrier back is one of the best things our program has done in the last six years.
How? I love him too, but is Mac having default judgement passed on him by sos being over his shoulder by internal people?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Why? Mac wants him here and SOS wont impose on what Mac is doing without being approached first. Its not his job and not why he is here. He is an ambassador and fund raiser and help when needed.
How do you know the internal workings of the uf athletics program?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
How do you know the internal workings of the uf athletics program?

Your right. Mac hates SOS and is already sick of him butting his noisy face in where it doesnt belong. Matter of fact, they got in a fight in Macs office and had to be separated because SOS was telling Nuss to report directly to him. They arent allowed to be together in the same room and Mac is scared.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Your right. Mac hates SOS and is already sick of him butting his noisy face in where it doesnt belong. Matter of fact, they got in a fight in Macs office and had to be separated because SOS was telling Nuss to report directly to him. They arent allowed to be together in the same room and Mac is scared.
I heard it all started when SOS wanted a mulligan on the 16th green but Mac told him to kick rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator