Foley Headed To Ft. Collins - Jim McElwain to be hired

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8trs99

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2014
Per Wiki he is already the UF Coach.
Jim McElwain (born March 1, 1962) is an American football coach. He is currently the head coach of the Florida Gators. McElwain was hired on December 2,2014.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
g8trs99;n122005 said:
Jim McElwain (born March 1, 1962) is an American football coach. He is currently the head coach of the Florida Gators. McElwain was hired on December 2,2014.

WHO? What makes the coach of Colorado State, a coach with a measly 22-16 record I might add, qualified to take over a job of Florida's caliber? Please be wiki BS

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DId i miss where it was stated Foley is on that plane?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n122021 said:

Pat Forde and Brett McMurphy are both reporting that he's on the plane. McMurphy even going so far as to say McElwain is interviewing today.

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
He has not been hired yet, but at this point it's certainly a possibility, a very high possibility even. I admit, I wasn't thrilled about the prospect at first, but the more I read up on him, the more excited I get at the prospect of him becoming the next head coach here.

First, let's look at what UF needs. These are what, in my opinion (along with what Foley mentioned was in his own criteria), the new head coach should be and/or be capable of being.
1) Offensive mind
2) SEC experience
3) Head coaching experience--and success as the head man
4) A player's coach--Someone the player's can trust and relate to, but who will also lay down the law (Muschamp, at the very least and at his ver best did this, and we need to keep that integrity in my opinion.
5) Someone who's hungry and eager to place his name in the ranks of the coaching elites.

In my opinion, McElwain fits all the criteria. He has done wonderful things on the offensive AND defensive side of the ball and drastically improved the wins and loses since taking the reins at CSU. The offense is especially improved being ranked in the top 8 nationally in passing, and top-10 overall. It would be nice if he had more wins against marquee opponents under his belt, sure, but he really hasn't had the opportunity.

However, in acknowledging that point, it's also important to acknowledge that Urban Meyer didn't have any "big game" wins against any "big name" programs during his time at Bowling Green, and only wins against a mediocre Oregon team and his Fiesta Bowl win against Pitt could be considered "Big wins" while at Utah. He too, didn't have the opportunity to play any of the big boys.

During his time at Alabama, the McElwain run offense was tabbed as "boring". While that might be the case, it was incredibly successful, productive, and it got wins. With Trent Richardson and Ingram, a ridiculous o-line, and two QB's that have no NFL ability whatsoever, he played to the teams strength. And it ended up producing the Nation's number one rushing offense and number two overall offense in his final season. You really think Saban wanted to see him go?! Did I mention that Greg "average Joe" McElroy set single season records in completion percentage, TD's, and yards under McElwain.

And his players, at least by this account, seem to really think highly of him. They love the guy really. So read some of these previously published articles about his exit at Bama, and consider the facts before acting like we might not be getting the guy we really want.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n122021 said:

Well, we are looking for a new coach, rumored to be in Ft. Collins. It just so happens a chartered private jet is headed to Ft. Collins, from Gainesville, so one would deduce that Foley is on that plane, in a boot. But no, we don't know for sure Foley is on the plane. The boot part is fact though

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n122042 said:
Well, we are looking for a new coach, rumored to be in Ft. Collins. It just so happens a chartered private jet is headed to Ft. Collins, from Gainesville, so one would deduce that Foley is on that plane, in a boot. But no, we don't know for sure Foley is on the plane. The boot part is fact though
:lmao:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStompin';n122030 said:
He has not been hired yet, but at this point it's certainly a possibility, a very high possibility even. I admit, I wasn't thrilled about the prospect at first, but the more I read up on him, the more excited I get at the prospect of him becoming the next head coach here.

First, let's look at what UF needs. These are what, in my opinion (along with what Foley mentioned was in his own criteria), the new head coach should be and/or be capable of being.
1) Offensive mind
2) SEC experience
3) Head coaching experience--and success as the head man
4) A player's coach--Someone the player's can trust and relate to, but who will also lay down the law (Muschamp, at the very least and at his ver best did this, and we need to keep that integrity in my opinion.
5) Someone who's hungry and eager to place his name in the ranks of the coaching elites.

In my opinion, McElwain fits all the criteria. He has done wonderful things on the offensive AND defensive side of the ball and drastically improved the wins and loses since taking the reins at CSU. The offense is especially improved being ranked in the top 8 nationally in passing, and top-10 overall. It would be nice if he had more wins against marquee opponents under his belt, sure, but he really hasn't had the opportunity.

However, in acknowledging that point, it's also important to acknowledge that Urban Meyer didn't have any "big game" wins against any "big name" programs during his time at Bowling Green, and only wins against a mediocre Oregon team and his Fiesta Bowl win against Pitt could be considered "Big wins" while at Utah. He too, didn't have the opportunity to play any of the big boys.

During his time at Alabama, the McElwain run offense was tabbed as "boring". While that might be the case, it was incredibly successful, productive, and it got wins. With Trent Richardson and Ingram, a ridiculous o-line, and two QB's that have no NFL ability whatsoever, he played to the teams strength. And it ended up producing the Nation's number one rushing offense and number two overall offense in his final season. You really think Saban wanted to see him go?! Did I mention that Greg "average Joe" McElroy set single season records in completion percentage, TD's, and yards under McElwain.

And his players, at least by this account, seem to really think highly of him. They love the guy really. So read some of these previously published articles about his exit at Bama, and consider the facts before acting like we might not be getting the guy we really want.

Hell any offense at this point would be an upgrade and if boring gets us mid 30s ppg like at bama i'll take it. hell i'd just like to return to an offense where WR's play WR, RB play RB, and TE play TE. The last 4 years we've lined up nothing RB at WR, DE at TE, and a long string of crap at QB and Oline.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
g8trs99;n122005 said:

Wikipedia has been hacked. Jim McElwain's entry shows in the insert he's the Head Coach of the "Florida Gaytors." So someone is trying to have a little fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator