Foley Interview

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
T REX;n239996 said:
Please don't take this the wrong way...but either you are A) very old, B) working some place with extremely high turnover or C) an HR person

Hundreds seems like a lot to me. Again, not trying to be insulting but it stuck out. I've had to fire a few people and while it was part of the job...never liked it much unless they were complete a holes and deserved it.
Kinda thought the same thing. Hope he didn't hire all those people. That would also mean he's made a lot of bad choices.

But of course he chooses to hang out here with us, so he might just be a bad judge of character.

Dec 10, 2014
T REX;n239996 said:
Please don't take this the wrong way...but either you are A) very old, B) working some place with extremely high turnover or C) an HR person

Hundreds seems like a lot to me. Again, not trying to be insulting but it stuck out. I've had to fire a few people and while it was part of the job...never liked it much unless they were complete a holes and deserved it.

:jerkstore:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think the decisions on the firing of Muschamp and finding his replacement were difficult for Foley. What was difficult was the process of what happened. For example, paying Muschamp 6 million to recruit against us was probably difficult to bear, and finding the right coach and working around McElwain's huge buyout probably weren't easy processes either.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n240011 said:

th

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
MJMGator;n239988 said:
.. I've fired hundreds of people in my career ...

norm-peterson.jpg

Anyone remember that one episode where people stopped answering when Norm called? And when Norm called his boss to quit the 'fire people' job, his boss thought HE was getting fired?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n239996 said:

30 years in a high turnover industry with time spent in the HR department, as well. Hundreds may be on the consevative side. :embarrassed:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n239976 said:
Do you people really expect an AD to say "it was an easy decision to fire him"?.
Cheezy Fried Rice! Of course it should have been an easy decision to fire his incompetent azz.

This interview just empasizes how bizarre our AD is now. He's totally clueless about what his job is, just win football games and the rest (94,000 in the seats) will fix itself. He thinks he's too big to fail. The ego on this horse-toothed, popcorn vendor is amazing.

At this point, I wish he'd just STFU. And I know you Foley Fans feel the same way. Just STFU and win something.

He has to know he had his last at bat already. You can tell in his demeanor.

Arnsparger left a championship football and basketball program. Foley will need some luck for us to get back to mediocre. The next AD will have a full-on rebuild on his hands.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n240115 said:
Cheezy Fried Rice! Of course it should have been an easy decision to fire his incompetent azz.

The ego on this horse-toothed, popcorn vendor is amazing.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Easy decision to make, cause the Dawg sucked!

Reason it was difficult:
1. Bad Hire
2. Financial Impact
3. Heat from the fans
4. Bad Hire
5. Who's he gonna hire?
6. Ramifications of a bad hire
7. Did I mention....Bad Hire

Pretty much the standard interview. He can spin it anyway you want. I like JF, but not convinced he's still in touch. We'll see with Mac and White how it all pans out.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;240218 said:
I've had to fire hundreds just to keep them from getting my job.

The mark of a true genius

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Gator Fever;n239935 said:
“As I told the Board of Directors and boosters a couple of weeks ago, obviously, facilities are part of the equation of being successful. We pay attention to facilities. We always have. Our track record says so."
:jerkstore:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I can't say I'm surprised at the direction this thread has taken. It's only like the 47th edition with the Gatorzone interview being the only "new " piece. I can kind of understand both sides. Where the Muschamp hire is concerned, when it was done conventional wisdom in the college football community says that it was a good move. I don't fault Foley for making it. I also was not one of the guys that picked apart the 11-2 season and was glad we won that many regardless of how it was done and what future forecasts it conjured up. Now, did he go a year too long with Will? I think absolutely and certainly in this day and time, any bad AD decision, especially in SEC football, will result in immediate or continued vilification.

Sad to me that so many read this as a failure worthy of change for a guy that has done so many great things and IMO will make many more before all is said and done. As for his comment about the difficulty of the decision to cut Will loose, I agree with those that the difficulty likely refers to the buyout $ (which he orchestrated in part, I believe, due to the early success) and the personal relationship. I also agree that it was an easy decision based on the final years' results. Bottom line is that it is done, he has hired a guy that has done some really good things in terms of recruiting and programmatically thus far. The rub will be the success on the field and I hope the minions can be patient for a year or two until the roster improves (and I believe it will).

One thing that has not shown up in the thread thus far is, thankfully, the dismissing of the success of the non-football sports under Foley's watch. Coming from an admitted "Football Head" (very old term) and old HS AD, it is impressive what has been accomplished, due in no small part to the HC hires Foley has made. They are important programs within the scope of the entire athletic program from a PR standpoint among other things. Don't kid yourself and think they aren't.

Lastly, I would say that along with the whole facilities issue (which seems to be headed on the right track, but is some years behind by some), returning to the days of sell outs at BHG presents a great challenge. Certainly a return to winning and consistently competing for conference and NC's will take care of part of it, but perhaps more importantly solving the problem of not only getting the students in the stands to do something other than text or take photos looms large. If Foley finds a way to fix this along with a return to winning, he will deserve the appropriate kudos. Personally I think this problem (attendance) is something many schools are dealing with and the fact that ticket costs as well as traveling expenses and accommodations nowadays make the problem even more difficult to solve.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just think Foley missed both times he was really left with a decision on his own who to hire as head football coach. He did hit a home run with Donovan but Florida had made it to near the top of the overall sports stuff prior to him taking over. I hope Mac succeeds and think he will but that will probably determine the ultimate legacy of Foley to most Gator fans. If White was to fail I don't think it would affect his legacy much at all.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2, good take, my sentiments for the most part. My disdain for Will after seeing how he handled the pressure and delegation of the job is probably higher than yours but like you said, it's done. I just want to see the team play happy/inspired/disciplined moxie. I like our new chess player. He strikes me as wanting his place on the mantle. Hopefully, that will be the basis for the new team swagger.
Let's Go Gators!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator