Foley's larger failure: Facilities or Butters?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, by those standards, if Mullinz goes 4-4 here and doesnt have a losing season he is doing well bc the last coach sucked?
I'm saying what I've said all along. That he took a steaming pile of shyt from a dead end road SEC outpost and made something of it in a very tough division. You can twist it all you want. There's no denying what he did.

What I'm also saying is he deserves the chance to earn your respect here before you go running him out the door.

I realize that for you this is no longer about Mullen. This is about being able to look back and say you were right.

Tell me why I shouldn't think that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He took a team that was one of the top teams in the SEC west under Jackie Sherrill and went 33-39. Youre not some idiot 20 year old who doesn't remember them being one of the toughest outs in the west. Yeah, Sherrill hung around too long and sucked at the end of that run, but we saved Cousin Eddie from getting fired because he couldn't even beat a damn sub100 IQ Ole Miss coach who was on probation. Even Miss schools don't accept loses to U South Alabama.

He has a winning record against exactly one team, Kintucky. He couldn't even win against two other "steaming pyle of shyt schools" Arky and Ole Miss, one of whom a neanderthal as a coach and the other who was under investigation and on probation during that time.

As for your allegation, why would predicting mediocrity out of a coach with a record for mediocrity make me look insightful? If any other team hired their third guy (at best and God we better have called a bunch more) with a 33-39 record, we'd laugh. You just can't take off your orange and blue goggles. That is ok. We all have it to some extent.

It's like predicting that the OC from Trailerbammer who took the best roster EVER and lost 9-6 to Grasseater sucked as an offensive coordinator. It is not much of an accomplishment, frankly.

Does Mullinz have SOME good things in his background? Yes. Have I been generally happy with what he has done? Yes, so far. However, on balance is his resume mediocre. Nothing is changed. It makes you look silly to try to exaggerate the resume of a guy who lost to S Alabama. Is it likely he is suddenly now a great recruiter and a championship coach? absolutely not.

No one in the SEC is shaking in their shoes at another three years of the QB Up The Middle offense.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I abstain from voting in this poll, tho I know it is just for fun. I think the following equation is most true

Fooley: UF Football= :trainwreck:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He took a team that was one of the top teams in the SEC west Jackie Sherrill and went 33-39.

Yeah, Sherrill hung around too long and sucked at the end of that run, but we saved Cousin Eddie from getting fired because he couldn't even beat a damn sub100 IQ Ole Miss coach who was on probation.

He has a winning record against exactly one team, Kintucky. He couldn't even win against two other "steaming pyle of shyt schools" Arky and Ole Miss, one of whom a neanderthal as a coach and the other who was under investigation and on probation during that time.

As for your allegation, why would predicting mediocrity out of a coach with a record for mediocrity make me look good? If any other team hired their third (at best and God we better have called a bunc more) guy with a 33-39 record, we'd laugh. You just can't take off your orange and blue goggles. It's like predicting that the OC from Trailerbammer who took the best roster ever and lost 9-6 to Grasseater sucked as an offensive coordinator, not much of an accomplishment, frankly.
Sherrill was out after 2003. You're leaving out the five seasons in between. MSU was in bad shape when Mullen arrived.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No they arent.

Even our own alums were quoted as saying we are worse than all SEC schools except Vandy and frankly Im surprised Vandy, but I havent been there.

I have been to many American conference and a CUSA school w better facilities. It is sad how fvkked up Fooley was for so long.

We were Dead last in the SEC in facilities for about three years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sherrill was out after 2003. You're leaving out the five seasons in between. MSU was in bad shape when Mullen arrived.
No, I said they had a terrible coach. The prior coach was a champion. They had eight bad years. So have we. Are we now a basket case program?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know personally. They say Vandy is worse. Hard to imagine.

But we've been second worst for a long time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, I said they had a terrible coach. The prior coach was a champion. They had eight bad years. So have we. Are we now a basket case program?
Little bit. But I have faith if he can recruit. I figure it's 2020 before we really contend again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I figure it's 2020 before we really contend again.
Yeah, we are at least three more years away.

And then our AD will fire him (or maybe we fire the AD) and we go out and hire an HC that doesn't run the single wing, then we are back in a three year rebuild because our fvkking front office doesn't know what Florida football is.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Is this about football facilities or all facilities? Somehow we forget all those other Gators who play sports other than football.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Another example of how stats are for liars.

Turns out what I also said was he did what he did at precisely the same time that Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Petrino's Arkansas made the SEC West easily the most dominant conference division in history.

But of course you conveniently skipped over that fact.

You are of course confusing stats, ie facts, ie W-L records with opinions, ie the SEC West was tougher from 2009 to the present than 2000 to 2008. You can make an argument for your OPINION, I even considered mentioning it in my post but ultimately opted not to as I was answering a specific request by YOU. Of course instead of thanks, I get more name calling.

You know I too am hoping that with UF athletes, UF support and if you want playing in the East, Mullen will be successful at UF. Repeating what he did at Miss State will NOT cut it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
:law: hates our coach? :stress:............Mullen is our coach. Gonna give him a chance. Gonna cheer for our team and support the team. He is doing positive things. He was a gator before when our chests were puffed out with pride. He has some experience with greatness. Go gators............

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Had to lose the sidebar to get rid of that constant picture of Butters. Who dafuq thought that was a good idea?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You are of course confusing stats, ie facts, ie W-L records with opinions, ie the SEC West was tougher from 2009 to the present than 2000 to 2008. You can make an argument for your OPINION, I even considered mentioning it in my post but ultimately opted not to as I was answering a specific request by YOU. Of course instead of thanks, I get more name calling.

You know I too am hoping that with UF athletes, UF support and if you want playing in the East, Mullen will be successful at UF. Repeating what he did at Miss State will NOT cut it.
Thank you. My point all along.

Mullen's predecessor was even worse than the numbers suggest considering the quality of the competition, which makes his efforts all the better for the same reason.

Simply stated, he deserves more credit than he gets. There aren't many teams playing Bama, LSU and Auburn every year from 2009 on that would have shown winning records.

You'll note I merely said he was a consistent winner before you decided to get cute with the numbers.

He did it in f*cking Starkville. I wish I had a nickel for the number of times posters pointed out how unattractive Starkville is as a collegiate destination. Who wants to play football in Starkville?

Mullen built a winner in that shythole.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I'd rank Foley's biggest failures this way:

1) facilities
2a) Muschamp
2b) McElwain
3) wardrobe
I think Ol Quiverlips was a bigger failure. At least Muschamp was a known good recruiter and HCIW for a p5 school in Texas. It was a coop at the time to get him to leave. We plucked Meyer from Notre Dame and Muschamp from Texas, two true blue bloods. Nobody wanted the guy whos smile out-glowed the canister of ooz from TMNT.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Facilities. At least Mcelwain understood we needed to upgrade there and set everything in motion. Foley would be cool with the gym we had in a bare base in Iraq. Sandbags, water jugs full of sand, and some metal bars that we would hang tires off of to simulate a barbell with plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb