For anyone who enjoys night viewing of satellites, etc....

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Here is a cool link I stumbled on recently that shows you what satellites & other objects coming across your location that you can see with naked eye. Interactive and gives details as to when to observe, what is flying across, etc....time and where to view. Opening page focuses on the Starling satellites, but also the option to see things such as ISS, Hubble, misc other satellites. For those who don't know(like me until last week)...

Starlink is a satellite constellation being constructed by SpaceX to provide satellite Internet access. The constellation will consist of thousands of mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit, working in combination with ground transceivers.

What's cool about these is that they consist of a bunch of satellites all sort of 'chasing each other'....example is this Monday at 4:57 local time for me(CDT), 60 of them will pass overhead like a continuous train of satellites, one right behind the other. 60! Last week when I first learned of this, I watched 42 come across and two nights later watched another stream of 28. I thought 42 was amazing--can't wait to see 60 of them in a parade. And btw, they aren't slow moving--these things are scooting across. Really interesting to watch. Click on this link--it will find your specific location and then give you all the details along with a simulation of what you'll see. Hope someone enjoys this.

️ See A Satellite Tonight ️

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Here is a cool link I stumbled on recently that shows you what satellites & other objects coming across your location that you can see with naked eye. Interactive and gives details as to when to observe, what is flying across, etc....time and where to view. Opening page focuses on the Starling satellites, but also the option to see things such as ISS, Hubble, misc other satellites. For those who don't know(like me until last week)...

Starlink is a satellite constellation being constructed by SpaceX to provide satellite Internet access. The constellation will consist of thousands of mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit, working in combination with ground transceivers.

What's cool about these is that they consist of a bunch of satellites all sort of 'chasing each other'....example is this Monday at 4:57 local time for me(CDT), 60 of them will pass overhead like a continuous train of satellites, one right behind the other. 60! Last week when I first learned of this, I watched 42 come across and two nights later watched another stream of 28. I thought 42 was amazing--can't wait to see 60 of them in a parade. And btw, they aren't slow moving--these things are scooting across. Really interesting to watch. Click on this link--it will find your specific location and then give you all the details along with a simulation of what you'll see. Hope someone enjoys this.

️ See A Satellite Tonight ️
Cool stuff! And cool background story... This has been in the coming for 20+ years and will be a global game changer. People might remember what a colossal failure "Iridium Communications" was in the 90's (the company that exists now is NOT that company)... but it wasn't for a lack of vision or seeing the opportunity, they were just before their time, lacked resources, and the demand wasn't there yet. They were the first ones with this idea of chaining, but they failed to get them all up in time, so service sucked, people switched to things like Thuraya, and that was the end. However, I remember talking to one of their original guys in Afghanistan in 2005, and he said back then that the dream was to "paint the entire earth's surface with wireless/internet access through low orbit satellites." I've told that story a bunch of times here and back on GSMB.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
We got a fantastic view of them a couple of weeks ago in Georgia. Fascinating to think that the plan is for some 40,000 of them.

Dynamic display of all objects from a single Starlink launch
This site lets you select the launch series (Starlink 0, Starlink 2.3.4.5...Starlink 6/7) and it will show you the global orbit for each - with the current location of each satellites in that series. You can actually see the movement of the satellites and how their orbits are shifting.

As i understand it, each satellite is slowly boosting its orbit (ion motor?). As they get higher they will be harder to see, and they won't be the "string of peals." Earlier launches show the satellites already dispersing.

SpaceX Starlink Satellites Tracker
This site will list viewing times for your area when you enter your location. It will give you specific viewing times, duration, direction of travel, and height above horizon, but are not always perfect. I've looked a couple times when viewing should have been good and never saw anything. It does take a little effort.

Look now while you can. Because of valid complaints from astronomers bothered by light pollution, future satellites may be treated to be less reflective. With 40,00 of them up there, they're bound to get in the way of some photos.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
This is my report/projection for this coming Monday morning. A nice view if no clouds.

screencapture-james-darpinian-satellites-2020-05-13-21_40_22.png

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
I don't do the morning viewing!

Another Starlink/SpaceX launch due on the 17th. The days early after the launch seem to be the most consistent

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb