Former Mississippi State DL Coach David Turner to Florida

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Well, Dan didnt want him last year.

In the end he is apparently someone they trust. There are only a handful of homerrun hires out there, the guys who are great recruiters AND great coaches. Or just great recruiters.

We landed one absolutely elite guy and one who is solid and already knows the playbook.

It was a good week. Also, if you compare our hires to the hires of Ugly and Trailerbama, I think we were the only ones to improve our situation significantly.

That one ace recruiter was our missing piece IMO.

If Law is satisfied then I have to be.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Is Shaw an upgrade or a downgrade from Sunseri? Both seem to be veteran sec coaches who have kicked around the league. Itraz laid out Shaw's coaching. Is Sunseri a better coach? Is there evidence one is a better recruiter?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Huge upgrade with Gray.... mehh with Turner. But Sunsieri was mehh anyway, so......

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I think we could have made a better hire after signing day. So if we miss on Moore and Bogle we obviously should have waited.
This could turn out to be Mullens first real misstep.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
That was in reference to the Gray hire. Way to grab a quote from a different thread about a different coach and misleadingly apply it here.

FTR not impressed with this hire.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It wasn’t wrong on Gray - he wasn’t a Mullen “friend”. He is a guy with significant connections to the state and school who played under Granthem. He’s never coached with Mullen. Additionally, he can recruit, something you guys questioned constantly about Mullen and his assistants.

That said - totally applies to this dude... sheesh. Hopefully Mullen knows something we don’t because this hire does not look good on paper. Him reeling in some guys that are interested in our program this cycle will not change my mind on it. Extremely disappointed - DL/OL are, in my opinion, the two most important position groups in the SEC for sustained success. I’d dump all sorts of money into the coaches there.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Would be dumb as hell - especially considering the kid was already interested. Why not get a top flight DL coach and show this interested recruit what that level of coaching talent can produce?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.