Forum Speed

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
All very valid points.

I've also been recently trying to post in the box when it tells me it's not responding. That's been happening a lot.
One more thing you can try, at least on your Chrome Mobile, is to turn on the "Data Saver". This compresses the data a little bit. which could help pages load faster, or at least it claims. It's at least worth a shot if you aren't already using it.

There is also a downloadable extension on your laptop chrome as well

20170203_012314.png

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One more thing you can try, at least on your Chrome Mobile, is to turn on the "Data Saver". This compresses the data a little bit. which could help pages load faster, or at least it claims. It's at least worth a shot if you aren't already using it.

There is also a downloadable extension on your laptop chrome as well

I appreciate your help, but what I'm saying is this is all changed in the past few weeks. I've used chrome for years. This has never really been a problem except when Ox has tinkered or looked to change things. Maybe that's it, a new bigger better badder Gator Chatter.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate your help, but what I'm saying is this is all changed in the past few weeks. I've used chrome for years. This has never really been a problem except when Ox has tinkered or looked to change things. Maybe that's it, a new bigger better badder Gator Chatter.
It could be, and probably is, I was just giving you some options on things that I do on my Chrome, since I'm not seeing the problems you are seeing, maybe the last one will help, maybe it won't, either way it saves a little data for when you aren't on wifi, usually about 15-20% data savings overall on my Chrome use.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It could be, and probably is, I was just giving you some options on things that I do on my Chrome, since I'm not seeing the problems you are seeing, maybe the last one will help, maybe it won't, either way it saves a little data for when you aren't on wifi, usually about 15-20% data savings overall on my Chrome use.
I appreciate it. I tried on safari and it's just as bad.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate it. I tried on safari and it's just as bad.
Safari used to be really bad on this site, at least on the old version. Thought it improved some.

You can also try the Opera web browser (on mobile), that one seems to work well as well (not the Opera Mini web browser!)
It probably won't make much difference, if it's something on Ox's end, but it's a nice web browser as well

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I need to clean a few things up, but I haven't noticed any slowness. With NSD over and things slowing down, I'll be working on things. Traffic is going to drop considerably.

NV, for the hell of it, download the Puffin browser. It is the fastest I've ever seen this site load on a phone. It's mind blowing.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I think speed for the forum can be a good thing. Certainly better than opioids for the forum that can lead to constipation and a lack of giving a sht about anything. Pot for the forum could be good as well - productivity may go down, but several of the hot heads would likely chill the f out significantly. Ox can probably increase revenue with some munchie advertising too. But if we go for speed for the forum, avoid cocaine. It's a helluva drug, but it can become too expensive to support long term.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is you have really made any adjustments since the last time I checked, but it's running a lot faster. Much more like it used to be.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wish that music thread, with all the YouTube videos, wasn't so damn slow. My guess is that's because they are all embedded and take up server space?

Maybe that one thread could be manipulated to show 20 posts per page? Help with the load?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Yes, you are right that the multiple videos per page is what's causing it to slow load. It's not that they take up server space, it's that when you open the thread it calls that video and downloads it from other sites, so even a local server upgrade won't help. You can't set post per page for a single thread, that's typically a site wide setting.

Your safest bet is to recognize when a thread has enough videos on a page that you fill the remaining replies for that page with empty posts so that page can load decently. Makes the thread a lot longer with replies, but makes it better at loading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.