Franks admits the mental part has been an issue thus far

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A few interesting quotes (btw Wheeler always does an excellent job at Rivals):

Pressure bust pipes, but it also makes diamonds.

“When I first got here, I'll be the first one to admit it, everything was more like, first I didn't know how to adjust from high school to college. Just joking around, thinking everything is 'ho ho'.

The admission is a 180 from the kid who, even as recently as spring practice, wore defensiveness like a cloak, constantly on edge that someone would bring up last season and force him to face the facts of what happened, buckling under the pressure that could burst a pipe.

This is the main reason I have not liked Franks. Mainly his attitude. Attitude can overcome a lot.

Learning to flip that switch was part and parcel of learning to deal with the pressure. Franks knows it’s something he had problems with in the past but feels confident that’s changed.

Grimes will now be roommates with Frank

Read the entire article here:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
For a guy who has mental parts, Franks sure has a lot of them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is the main reason I have not liked Franks. Mainly his attitude. Attitude can overcome a lot.
I have some compassion for not being able to see what he needs to see and for him being pushed out there too soon do to our poor recruiting.

I have zero compassion for not working hard, thinking it should be given to you, and it will be as easy as high school, aka driskelin.

We will see but we have a coach who isnt going to trot him out there for three years regardless like Chimp.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Damn small question as to the posit of the thread title. There's a difference between confidence and youthful arrogance, the latter I believe defined Franks these past two years. Throw in a lack of refined positional skills and a lower level understanding of reading defenses and applying route progressions and the recipe for an effective, consistent offense is not there. OL woes did not help, but the guy under center is the proverbial straw that stirs the drink. It remains to be seen how far Franks can progress at this stage. Understanding and accepting your deficits is only a first step (much later than it should be and it should be noted that his attitude was strikingly similar to that of his head coach), but overcoming that in the remaining time of his eligibility is quite daunting IMO. Hope is the plan at this point and it isn't what you want to pin your confidence on.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have some compassion for not being able to see what he needs to see and for him being pushed out there too soon do to our poor recruiting.

I have zero compassion for not working hard, thinking it should be given to you, and it will be as easy as high school, aka driskelin.

We will see but we have a coach who isnt going to trot him out there for three years regardless like Chimp.

100% agree. But I also have a problem with somebody not taking any accountability and having a poor attitude. Which he did. And hopefully just put an end to.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Damn small question as to the posit of the thread title. There's a difference between confidence and youthful arrogance, the latter I believe defined Franks these past two years. Throw in a lack of refined positional skills and a lower level understanding of reading defenses and applying route progressions and the recipe for an effective, consistent offense is not there. OL woes did not help, but the guy under center is the proverbial straw that stirs the drink. It remains to be seen how far Franks can progress at this stage. Understanding and accepting your deficits is only a first step (much later than it should be and it should be noted that his attitude was strikingly similar to that of his head coach), but overcoming that in the remaining time of his eligibility is quite daunting IMO. Hope is the plan at this point and it isn't what you want to pin your confidence on.

Youthful arrogance. Maybe. But I do agree that he was a direct refelection of MacElstain. Hopefully he will embody Mullen’s relentless effort mantra.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Thus far he's shown no innate feel for the game. Here's hoping that has been masked by a lack of personnel and good coaching. Aside from the O line (and we're being told that that should be improved), there will be no excuses.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thus far he's shown no innate feel for the game. Here's hoping that has been masked by a lack of personnel and good coaching. Aside from the O line (and we're being told that that should be improved), there will be no excuses.

Hell, if he just reduces the INT's and running out of bounds behind the LOS (for loss of yards vs. throwing it away) it will be a 50%+ improvement! I've said before, but he seems uncoachable. We'll see how he takes to coaching from a guy who's coached successful QBs, very successful QBs.

Bottom line, if our offense doesn't simply march down the field vs. Charleston Southern there needs to be a change at QB.

Miss State beat Charleston Southern 49-0 last year, and rolled up 555 yards of total offense:

upload_2018-8-5_12-9-20.png

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Franks actually thought he was improving even after Georgia just destroyed us and didn't even realize where he stood until that video game he played had him the lowest rated starting QB in college football.

I would be happy to be wrong but I just think this kid doesn't have it upstairs to stay composed usually while under pressure.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is good news. Whether or not Franks ever succeeds on the football field (like all Gator players, I'll be rooting for him, not against him), this is a good sign from him. I hope he takes on more of a learner's mindset and embraces growth in his life.

Good job Franks!

:chomp:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I guess we'll just have to "hope in one hand and sh!t in the other". LOL
But seriously, I hope Mullen has a quick hook with this guy if he's not progressing.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
90% of this game is mental. The other half is in your head.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Mark Wheeler InsidetheGators.com said:
The admission is a 180 from the kid who, even as recently as spring practice, wore defensiveness like a cloak,

The problem with this is if Wheeler was not reporting this after spring, or last year when he claims to have already recognized this, why would we ever believe a single thing he says from here on out. This is just more of this ex-post analysis that you get in college sports rather than ex-ante reporting.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Hope is his girlfriend's name and she is a big part of his problem....dancing with him and her girlfriends til the sun comes up....

It's too late for Franks....players are made with dedication in the off season, not just Summer B...especially when you have such poor field awareness....every year builds on itself, can't make up lost years. Fundamentally unsound player.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Funny to see this thread today b/c I have walked past Franks the past 2 days, once he was by himself and the other time it appeared the team was headed to some type of light practice in pajamas. When he was alone, he was dressed shabbily and walking lazily looking as tho he was floating thru life. With the team, he was near the back of the pack again walking slowly and lazily. This by no means portends that he will not be successful on the field, but outside of a couple of runs and a big arm, he seems to have zero mental acumen for anything, as many have mentioned. And it seemed to ring true when seeing him the past 2 days. I am not saying the guy has to be dressed in business attire, but carry yourself with a purpose, act like you care in your everyday life and perhaps your fortunes might change on the field!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Funny to see this thread today b/c I have walked past Franks the past 2 days, once he was by himself and the other time it appeared the team was headed to some type of light practice in pajamas. When he was alone, he was dressed shabbily and walking lazily looking as tho he was floating thru life. With the team, he was near the back of the pack again walking slowly and lazily. This by no means portends that he will not be successful on the field, but outside of a couple of runs and a big arm, he seems to have zero mental acumen for anything, as many have mentioned. And it seemed to ring true when seeing him the past 2 days. I am not saying the guy has to be dressed in business attire, but carry yourself with a purpose, act like you care in your everyday life and perhaps your fortunes might change on the field!
That doesn't sound like a guy who's winning the quarterback battle, either.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

You missed his conversation about how many Americans are allowed to be on CFL teams?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dollars to donuts, Trask is the starter for the opener.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We need more sneaky reports from you....the baseball bleachers/pavilion might be a good option for viewing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.