Franks admits the mental part has been an issue thus far

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Donkey is now saying that? He’s been saying that for two years.

remember the source....
A bench warmer in a similar offense to Mullin’s who ran for a total of 6 yards. Ever.

It would be among the most shocking stories in college football if he were to win the starting job or be forced by injury into meaningful snaps and play well.

Worth noting that Mullin offered Franks at MSU.

Mullin also had a starter in place that would have kept Franks on the bench for 3 years. Butters didn't, Franks was put into play way too early, and the way the kid played showed he wasn't ready.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
remember the source....

Mullin also had a starter in place that would have kept Franks on the bench for 3 years. Butters didn't, Franks was put into account way too early, and the way the kid played showed he wasn't ready.

Butters had nobody to blame but himself.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
6 pack? How about a 12 pack trending toward keg?

Ha! Nah, I’m in good shape, just not 20 yr old, 8% body fat kinda shape. I’m motivated to maintain my size 34 waist. Cardio and weight training is getting tougher each year though...

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ha! Nah, I’m in good shape, just not 20 yr old, 8% body fat kinda shape. I’m motivated to maintain my size 34 waist. Cardio and weight training is getting tougher each year though...

I meant me... but I’m not in very bad shape either for my age. Too heavy but I still put in 12-15 miles a week running. Need to get back to other exercise.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Mullin also had a starter in place that would have kept Franks on the bench for 3 years. Butters didn't, Franks was put into play way too early, and the way the kid played showed he wasn't ready.

Thanks for the info. I agree he wasn’t ready, nay not be yet, just pointing out Mullen recruited Franks for his offense.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Thanks for the info. I agree he wasn’t ready, nay not be yet, just pointing out Mullen recruited Franks for his offense.

Franks' film preparation already paying dividends - GatorSports.com

Grimes who just transferred from seeing the OSU QBs said of Franks:

"He watches film like crazy, more than anybody I’ve ever seen. He it watches 24/7. He’ll be the first one in the film room, the last one out,”

Franks is working hard on the mental side. Got to give him that. Hopefully that hard work turns on the light for him.

Spurrier thinks the new coaching staff is better organized and puts the responsibility of many of the QB mistakes on our last coaches. Hope Steve is right.

Combining Franks's athleticism with brains could be a lethal weapon. Franks made the Elite 11 in high school because he looks like the new prototype NFL QB not because of his brains.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nyahh, so Franks will no longer be a hot dog ?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

"He watches film like crazy, more than anybody I’ve ever seen. He it watches 24/7. He’ll be the first one in the film room, the last one out,”

Franks is working hard on the mental side. Got to give him that. Hopefully that hard work turns on the light for him.

Spurrier thinks the new coaching staff is better organized and puts the responsibility of many of the QB mistakes on our last coaches. Hope Steve is right.

Combining Franks's athleticism with brains could be a lethal weapon. Franks made the Elite 11 in high school because he looks like the new prototype NFL QB not because of his brains.

Most likely a pipe dream to think Franks will get it right upstairs. I thought no one could perfect the art of "Driskeling" more than the original himself but after watching the FSU game last year I am not so sure on that anymore.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

As much as I hope this is accurate, Gatorsports running a fluff article before camp, that kind of contradicts Mullin's statement of the status of our quarterbacks. I'm going to take the coach over a reporting establishment that has a habit of summer fluff pieces that propped up McElwain and Muschamp every summer as well. This is no different than this will be the year Driskel and the offense put it all together.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
As much as I hope this is accurate, Gatorsports running a fluff article before camp, that kind of contradicts Mullin's statement of the status of our quarterbacks. I'm going to take the coach over a reporting establishment that has a habit of summer fluff pieces that propped up McElwain and Muschamp every summer as well. This is no different than this will be the year Driskel and the offense put it all together.

BOTH Gatorsports stories are good info to have.

Of course agree that the one Gatorsports story on how the QBs are currently doing in Mullen's new system is more important than the Gatorsports story of what Grimes said about Franks working hard.

Franks was not a quick thinker last season. My hope is that was because he was coached poorly and not that he is just a slow thinker. Slow thinkers can get faster by practicing and studying but may not have as high of a ceiling. At least Franks is practicing hard. Working hard does not guarantee that the light will go on for Franks but the process starts with hard work.

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Most likely a pipe dream to think Franks will get it right upstairs. I thought no one could perfect the art of "Driskeling" more than the original himself but after watching the FSU game last year I am not so sure on that anymore.
Driskel threw everything too hard but I think Franks made more mental mistakes last season than Driskel made.

My opinion on Franks is that he was a slow thinker last season. Hope his hard work pays off and that last season was the coaches' fault and not just him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not even close. Dipshytskel would take the snap, immediately drop his eyes to the DL and go panic mode, scramble to the right, even with a clean pocket.

NO ONE has ever driskelled like Driskel.

They even did like 7 minutes worth of breakdown on it with endzone angle cameras when he singlehandedly gave a game to scUM.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It matters. Practicing anything makes most people better but Franks may have a lower ceiling. Hope he does not. Physically he has the tools.
I agree w last post and this.

But physically my concern is his windup. It is so slow. Hard to fix, but its not like we have to worry about changing his delivery destroying his accuracy.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel threw everything too hard but I think Franks made more mental mistakes last season than Driskel made.

My opinion on Franks is that he was a slow thinker last season. Hope his hard work pays off and that last season was the coaches' fault and not just him.

Be honest - do you think a coach can make a player do the things Franks was doing? We better hope a coach can somehow get most of that stuff out of him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Be honest - do you think a coach can make a player do the things Franks was doing? We better hope a coach can somehow get most of that stuff out of him.
I said from the day we took his verbal he was a huge project. He should have been the Trash, the #2 in the class. But our previous staff was too fvkking lazy to recruit, believing they could show up in January and flip bluechippers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb