Franks admits the mental part has been an issue thus far

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Be honest - do you think a coach can make a player do the things Franks was doing? We better hope a coach can somehow get most of that stuff out of him.
You can bench Franks if he continues to not get rid of the ball and throw interceptions.

I don't know if Mullen can get Franks to see the field better. Franks with his height can see but he is not processing it quickly.

Franks is a worker so you gotta give him credit for that.
He has extremely long arms and legs which helps on deep passes but slows him down on interim passes.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Franks' film preparation already paying dividends - GatorSports.com

Grimes who just transferred from seeing the OSU QBs said of Franks:

"He watches film like crazy, more than anybody I’ve ever seen. He it watches 24/7. He’ll be the first one in the film room, the last one out,”

Franks is working hard on the mental side. Got to give him that. Hopefully that hard work turns on the light for him.

Spurrier thinks the new coaching staff is better organized and puts the responsibility of many of the QB mistakes on our last coaches. Hope Steve is right.

Combining Franks's athleticism with brains could be a lethal weapon. Franks made the Elite 11 in high school because he looks like the new prototype NFL QB not because of his brains.

Just saw that! I’ve seen a Mullen quote in that and other articles noting that it just takes time & he hasn’t seen the light come on just yet in any of them. It’s August so being hopeful is a good thing.

I’d love to see Franks succeed, for the team’s sake and his. But I think we all need to see some “did” rather than “gonna”. Kentucky May well give us an early barometer.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d love to see Franks succeed, for the team’s sake and his. But I think we all need to see some “did” rather than “gonna”. Kentucky May well give us an early barometer.
That's the whole friggin team. Our "established contributors" are 500 yard backs and receivers.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
That's the whole friggin team. Our "established contributors" are 500 yard backs and receivers.

I’ve posted elsewhere that we have zero, not one, established star on offense. Scarlett is the closest and he hasn’t played for a year. Two true freshmen looked promising last year - Davis & Toney - but both got hurt. Cleveland looks the part - but 22 catches?

I do think there’s potential but it’s just that. Mullen will earn a lot of credit if things start to click. But it is rough and may take time.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I said from the day we took his verbal he was a huge project. He should have been the Trash, the #2 in the class. But our previous staff was too fvkking lazy to recruit, believing they could show up in January and flip bluechippers.
I agree, and I don't think it's fair to Franks to write him off so early. This is the first year of his life that he is getting decent coaching. He was a project coming out of high school, and he was forced to play too early because of Butters' arrogance and inability to coach up raw talent. This is the same kid who won the UT game last year because he trusted his instinct and ignored the coaches.

I don't expect Franks to be the next great UF QB; however, I do think he'll improve and be at least an average, serviceable SEC QB. A stronger O-line and good run support will ease some pressure off of him, he's got better WRs to throw to, and this offense is easier to learn and has simpler reads. Yes he's going to make mistakes, but I don't think he'll be as terrible as some here predict.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Franks is now in his third season and he still doesn’t get it according to Mullen. If the light hasn’t come on for him yet, it never will. Time to move on to the next guy, whoever that is.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It could be considered that Franks first 2 years here were mistraining practices and training in set up panic attacks on the field, in front of many thousands. Talk about a confidence wrecker, your talking about McNuss. There's got to be room for much natural improvement. It's like Franks needs to heal. (He could have PTSD, something McElblame is a carrier for.)

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Nope. Kid just doesn’t have it. I sure wish he did, but he just doesn’t. You could see the potential in Grier (even with Mac at the helm) but I never saw it once with Franks last year. You can’t build a career on one Hail Mary pass.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Franks will look great in the opener against Charleston. All will be well in Gator Nation.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I’ve posted elsewhere that we have zero, not one, established star on offense. Scarlett is the closest and he hasn’t played for a year. Two true freshmen looked promising last year - Davis & Toney - but both got hurt. Cleveland looks the part - but 22 catches?

I do think there’s potential but it’s just that. Mullen will earn a lot of credit if things start to click. But it is rough and may take time.
I would add Van Jefferson to that list. His numbers from his time at Ole Miss look pretty good to me.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would add Van Jefferson to that list. His numbers from his time at Ole Miss look pretty good to me.

Van Jefferson is a 500 yard receiver in a more pass friendly offense. Athletic gifted yes, but no where close to an established star.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Van Jefferson is a 500 yard receiver in a more pass friendly offense. Athletic gifted yes, but no where close to an established star.

A disciplined route runner like Jefferson can overcome athletic deficiencies. To what degree, remains to be seen.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
It wouldn't surprise me if we have a repeat of 2014 this season.

The media and casual fans will declare Gator football great again after pounding Charleston 45-3. Then the usual excuses after squeaking by Kentucky. 20-13. Then all will be right with the universe after punishing Co State 55-0.

Then the SEC defensive pass rushes will blow by our O line with regularity and will turn Franks into either the 7 yard turtle sack or the mad scrambler for a two yard loss out of bounds or the sideline throwaway pass. We will beat Vandy, split the mid-tier SEC teams and lose to LSU and Dwags. We will pound Idaho to give the usual false hope prior to losing to the Criminole$. Leg Humpers don’t suck anymore so no BS SEC East trophies. 8-4 or 7-5 and bowl tossup with third place Big 10 team in Central Florida.

Or 15-0 with EJ from Tennessee on.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
A disciplined route runner like Jefferson can overcome athletic deficiencies. To what degree, remains to be seen.

And he can instill that same effort in others, after all most routes are combinations, if one does not properly execute his route it might ruin the entire play.

I also consider blocking by receivers to be a talent that is not properly developed in today's players. Especially against man defenses it can on running plays set up more separation when you need it.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
500 yards, like I said.
No argument with either one of you on those points. Theo's post to which I responded specifically stated "zero, not one, established star on offense". I agree. My point is that Jefferson has the potential, along with the others Theo listed. I was thinking of these numbers when I posted:

Van Jefferson - 2018 Football Roster - Florida Gators

PRIOR TO FLORIDA:
2015-17 (Ole Miss):

Appeared in 10 games and started at slot receiver in the first three games of the season

Finished second on the team with 42 receptions

Had his best game of the season at Cal when he hauled in a career-high 10 catches for 94 yards

Was Ole Miss’s second-leading receiver at No. 12 Auburn with 89 yards off eight catches

Earned First Team Freshman All-SEC accolades from the league’s coaches and Gridiron Now

Finished second on team with 49 catches

Returned four punts for 11 yards and rushed five times for 40 yards on the season

Ranked second among SEC freshmen with 4.1 catches/game and third with 45.2 receiving ypg

Had six catches for 91 yards against No. 1 Alabama (15.2 avg)
Van Jefferson 2016 Game Log | College Football at Sports-Reference.com)

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No argument with either one of you guys on those points. I was thinking of these numbers when I posted:

Van Jefferson - 2018 Football Roster - Florida Gators

PRIOR TO FLORIDA:
2015-17 (Ole Miss):

Appeared in 10 games and started at slot receiver in the first three games of the season

Finished second on the team with 42 receptions

Had his best game of the season at Cal when he hauled in a career-high 10 catches for 94 yards

Was Ole Miss’s second-leading receiver at No. 12 Auburn with 89 yards off eight catches

Earned First Team Freshman All-SEC accolades from the league’s coaches and Gridiron Now

Finished second on team with 49 catches

Returned four punts for 11 yards and rushed five times for 40 yards on the season

Ranked second among SEC freshmen with 4.1 catches/game and third with 45.2 receiving ypg

Had six catches for 91 yards against No. 1 Alabama (15.2 avg) Van Jefferson 2016 Game Log | College Football at Sports-Reference.com)

Those numbers are good until you look at the break downs of how he disappeared in a number of games. Especially against teams that he might have had more talent than anyone of the opposing roster. How does a guy with his athletic ability, and in a very pass friendly offense.

Ole Miss was 11th nationally in Yards/game in 2017 and 13th in 2016. First in the SEC both years. Why a guy with so much talent, be so medocre with that much opportunity, then come to a run first offense here to blow up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb