Franks' throwing motion

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It occurred to me the other day when I saw this pic of Franks that his arm was cocked almost as low as Tebow's.

I recall the uproar over Tim's throwing motion and the enormous lengths he went to recreate himself as a passer.

And yet you never hear anyone complain about Franks' throwing motion. Not yet anyway.

SOS always wanted that arm cocked around the ear hole. Danny did it to perfection.

55be06ed2125d75b982d24d320b79097.jpg
hqdefault.jpg p-88369-PBA-008592.jpg

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Did Danny play baseball? It seems that the long, low motion is a baseball throw converted to throw a football. Timmy and FF both were big baseball players - pitchers I believe?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good point. Franks and Tebow both use a long windup. Wuerffel had a compact motion, almost like a shotput.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If he wants to believe he is the second coming of Tebow and lead us to a championship, then he can throw it like that.

Go Gators

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And yet you never hear anyone complain about Franks' throwing motion. Not yet anyway.
Are you fvkking drunk?

I agree with this, however, I would say he is intermittently very accurate, and often on the toughest throws. I wonder if Mullinz can figure out why.

You know I don't like his windup and mechanics though.
Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

Yeah, he just looks uncomfortable in the pocket. Seems better on the run.

I don't know if that windup will ever be fixed.
Franks’ Improvement

**** In response TO YOU****
He is as bad as Dipshytskel with that rightfielder windup.
Quarterback

They dont have an attribute for "wont pass over the middle bc Butters beat it into his head" or "painstakingly slow windup".
Franks' new motivation (EA NCAA Football video game)

Man he still has that slow, long windup throwing motion.
Should Kadarius Toney Start?

Franks is still a redshirt freshman. Look, he always was a project and I see nothing different in that freaking windup of his, but he is still a redshirt freshman.
Quarterback

Franks has a big arm but he also has a big slow windup. He needs to work on it.
The SEC Least

But physically my concern is his windup. It is so slow. Hard to fix, but its not like we have to worry about changing his delivery destroying his accuracy.
Franks admits the mental part has been an issue thus far

I don't know what you do with Franks windup either. It is so slow and his form problems are no doubt part of why his accuracy is spotty.
3 Days until Kickoff! Practice Updates

Yeah, maybe but it hurts a lot less if the QB w the long windup isnt playing behind a porous OL.
Franks Spring Game Video

3. Couldnt complete passes vs air and has a windup like a right fielder.
UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

He is as bad as Dipshytskel with that rightfielder windup.
**** again, responding TO YOU****
Quarterback

That windup.
3 Days until Kickoff! Practice Updates

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If he wants to believe he is the second coming of Tebow and lead us to a championship, then he can throw it like that.

Go Gators
None of the feel-good talk. We're here to nitpick.

For example, what in the hell is Franks doing with his left-hand fingers pointing down in the top photo? I'm concerned he may be trying to send a message to a counter-culture group.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It occurred to me the other day when I saw this pic of Franks that his arm was cocked almost as low as Tebow's.

I recall the uproar over Tim's throwing motion and the enormous lengths he went to recreate himself as a passer.

SOS always wanted that arm cocked around the ear hole. Danny did it to perfection.

55be06ed2125d75b982d24d320b79097.jpg
View attachment 16055 View attachment 16056
Swonkey complains about everything.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I watched Franks in high school. The kid deserves all the credit. He was a disaster mechanically. Ball came out at different angles, even side arm. His footwork was all over the place. It is the only thing shark humper got right. As for the long wind up? Not much he can really do now. I don’t think it is a huge issue in college.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I watched Franks in high school. The kid deserves all the credit. He was a disaster mechanically. Ball came out at different angles, even side arm. His footwork was all over the place. It is the only thing shark humper got right. As for the long wind up? Not much he can really do now. I don’t think it is a huge issue in college.

Well, when you have no OC, QB coach, or private QB coach, things tend to happen like that in high school. It's why I thought/think his upside is much greater now with Mullen than it ever showed with Mac.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Franks doesn't have the hype surrounding him that Timmy had, so he doesn't get the same level of scrutiny.

I don't care about throwing motion as long as there's lots of TDs, wins and hopefully hardware while at UF. NFL success is just extra.

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
What's the advantage of the shorter motion? Less strip sacks/ball gets out faster?

Does it not necessarily mean less power?

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
The only time the long wind-up matters is when he could possibly get it stripped from behind if he's winding up for a throw and the LT gets beat. It doesn't matter as much in college because we're not facing elite DEs every week. The long wind up probably is part of the reason we get so conservative against better Defenses. Mullen game plans to get the ball out quicker because it takes Franks a split second longer to get it out of his hand.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
None of the feel-good talk. We're here to nitpick.

For example, what in the hell is Franks doing with his left-hand fingers pointing down in the top photo? I'm concerned he may be trying to send a message to a counter-culture group.
I've wondered the same thing many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator