Franks to the NFL?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Will Sammon wrote an article on Carson Beck and Anthony Richardson. In it, he said this

"Florida's quarterback room depth chart may have future openings; starter Feleipe Franks can be a draft risk next year."

I blew coffee all over my keyboard when reading that. Then I read Nick de la Torre and Andrew Spivey saying the same thing. According to them, Franks viewed himself ready for the NFL by the end of last season. It is expected he will leave if he has a good year. What say you?

In other "gators in the NFL" notes, Jawaan Taylor went at 10 to the jets in Dane Brugler's recent mock draft. Most mocks I've seen have him going either 9 to the bills or 10 to the jets. It is amazing to see how far that guy has come.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is a team that will take measurables over tape, and Franks has all the measurables. Remember Driskel has been in the league 3 years, and how far fetch that sounded.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel has better physical tools.

Driskel was a better product comparatively, but some team will draft Franks thinking that it was just poor coaching at the QB position that is his problem. I don't think any team will waste a 1st or 2nd day pick, but a 3rd day pick... why not.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I see him either having a good season and going to the next level, or having a poor season
and getting passed on the depth chart by Emory. Regardless i'm not expecting a fifth year
from Franks.At least not here. It's a rarity you see guys stick around for a fifth year unless they're a walk on,
not good, or simply aren't going to be coveted at the next level. Murray is probably the best
example of a solid college QB that stuck around for a 5th year because he wasn't
coveted by the NFL due to his size. FF won't have that issue.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel was a better product comparatively, but some team will draft Franks thinking that it was just poor coaching at the QB position that is his problem. I don't think any team will waste a 1st or 2nd day pick, but a 3rd day pick... why not.
I have no doubt an NFL team may take a flier on Franks, the question is will it be enticing enough for him to leave early?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no doubt an NFL team may take a flier on Franks, the question is will it be enticing enough for him to leave early?

I'm going to go with not the brightest bulb in the box. He is urg on self awareness.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Stranger things have happened. Think of all the people drafted over the years based solely on how far they could throw a football, like Jamarcus Russell who cared more about eating than studying film.

This year will show how ready he is, but his track at the moment reminds me of Jason Campbell. Nothing special for 3 years, got a new OC if I remember and then has that one good season and stayed in the league a decade bouncing around. He ended the year as a hot name trending up and if he improves just a little I see him being talked about early in the draft just based on measurables.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stranger things have happened. Think of all the people drafted over the years based solely on how far they could throw a football, like Jamarcus Russell who cared more about eating than studying film.

This year will show how ready he is, but his track at the moment reminds me of Jason Campbell. Nothing special for 3 years, got a new OC if I remember and then has that one good season and stayed in the league a decade bouncing around. He ended the year as a hot name trending up and if he improves just a little I see him being talked about early in the draft just based on measurables.

lover of redheads, not a horrible comparison with Jason Campbell, but think his body of work might have been better.

upload_2019-2-11_10-2-6.png

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
lover of redheads, not a horrible comparison with Jason Campbell, but think his body of work might have been better.

That I agree with overall. Campbell had 4 OC's while there. The last one he had is when the light bulb went on for him. that one year got him into the first round. If Franks improves on last year's stats, which if just looking at paper, are pretty good then he has a good shot of moving up on the boards. He has the size and strength that allow people to ignore how horrible the bad throws are.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I see him either having a good season and going to the next level, or having a poor season and getting passed on the depth chart by Emory. Regardless i'm not expecting a fifth year from Franks.At least not here. It's a rarity you see guys stick around for a fifth year.

I agree with this. The word is, Emory is looking great. The job isn’t automatically Franks’ next season. He’ll have to earn and keep it. If he wins the job, it’ll prove he’s legit as he wouldn’t have beaten a Trask. He’ll have won the job over Emory who I think will be a quality starter by next season. To keep his job, Franks will have to continue the play we saw at the end of the year.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Franks wins the Heisman this year and goes to the Neeling Football League as the #1 QB pick in the draft. My hope for the 2019 season.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So, the question is, has FF reached his ceiling or can CDM get more next year out of him than this year? If it's the former, he's foolish to come out. If it's the latter, he'll be at least a third rounder, with the theory being great size, strong arm, great TD to Int. ratio, and improvement trending upward. Personally, I think they'd be buying fool's gold as I don't think FF can read a defense, but the NFL loves gambling on QBs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel has better physical tools.
You mean Dipshytskel is a physical tool.

Franks will have the biggest arm at the combine likely, jist like he always won those drills at Elite 11. Much like JD, they cant hit **** with it but it doenst stop the NFL. Unlike Dipshyt, Franks best P5 year wont be 70-100 yards a game. However, he will not have the "But Muschump" excuse, not that the NFL seems to care about actual college performance anyway.

Franks could easily go early next year, even if he just has another year like last and shows no improvement.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with this. The word is, Emory is looking great. The job isn’t automatically Franks’ next season. He’ll have to earn and keep it. If he wins the job, it’ll prove he’s legit as he wouldn’t have beaten a Trask. He’ll have won the job over Emory who I think will be a quality starter by next season. To keep his job, Franks will have to continue the play we saw at the end of the year.

Agreed. I think it's worth noting post missou the level of defenses we faced dropped pretty considerably. And while Franks started running
the offense better I can't help but wonder if that had more to do with the not so great defenses we were facing, or him getting more comfortable in the offense. Most likely a mixture of both. The cocks were pretty bad on D a year ago, Idaho is an obvious patsy, the clowns weren't completely dreadful on D but probably among the worst we faced over the year, and of course Michigan had their best DL and LB sitting out.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I think Frank's will lose his starting role by the 3rd game (if not sooner). The O line will not give him the time he needs to see the field (RPO).

Assuming one of the other QBs offers less risk and more upside.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You mean Dipshytskel is a physical tool.

Franks will have the biggest arm at the combine likely, jist like he always wonnthose drills at Elite 11. Much like JD, they cant hit **** with it but it doenst stop the NFL.
Hundreds of QB's with huge arms have failed in the NFL. Arm strength is way down the damn list. And Driskel has a pretty big arm, just like Franks.

You have singlehandedly made me like Driskel better. I find myself pulling for him so you might literally keel over and not post for a few days.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In other "gators in the NFL" notes, Jawaan Taylor went at 10 to the jets in Dane Brugler's recent mock draft. Most mocks I've seen have him going either 9 to the bills or 10 to the jets. It is amazing to see how far that guy has come.

I was just talking about this last night in the chat box. I saw one Mock that had Taylor going to the Bucs at #5. I’m floored that almost everyone sees him as a Top 10 pick.

Most of the mock drafts had the Jags all over the place.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hundreds of QB's with huge arms have failed in the NFL. Arm strength is way down the damn list. And Driskel has a pretty big arm, just like Franks.

You have singlehandedly made me like Driskel better. I find myself pulling for him so you might literally keel over and not post for a few days.
He is coming soon to a Bass Pro shop near you. Bungles have apparently seen enough. Rumors are the Bungles are drafting a QB, maybe even first round... bc Bungles.

He can sign your Gator Gear as "The Dude Who Made Treon Look Like a Clearly Better Option" or "The Guy with Less Yards in a Year than Treon or Appleby in Six Games". Something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.