Friendly reminder- Soccer is a ladies game

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We came in with a horrible strategy . Always trying to take an extra touch or pass to setup a low percentage cross rather than letting it rip in goal in the box. Painful to watch high school strategy against pros. Should of had one early but of course he tried a cute soft shot instead of putting power on it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We came in with a horrible strategy . Always trying to take an extra touch or pass to setup a low percentage cross rather than letting it rip in goal in the box. Painful to watch high school strategy against pros. Should of had one early but of course he tried a cute soft shot instead of putting power on it.

I’m not the tactician that many of you are, but I think managing to kick the ball into the giant net a total of 3 times in close to 8 hours of play is probably the biggest issue.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I’m not the tactician that many of you are, but I think managing to kick the ball into the giant net a total of 3 times in close to 8 hours of play is probably the biggest issue.

We've lacked a top-quality striker for awhile now and it cost us today. Our starter got injured vs Iran and neither of our backups are really "goal dangerous."

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Yep. I only got to watch the first half but saw the other games and they just refuse to take good shot opportunities. Messi just scored by firing it through a crowd from 18 out. Goalie had no chance because he never saw it. Our guys won’t do that and instead try to pass it through that crowd to a guy with not chance of scoring. We were taught from a young age to fire at will and crash for a rebound. Also gets some PK’s as well from potential hand balls. But we instead try to setup low percentage headers against a back line of guys that were 6’5”. We are essentially running a Muschamp game plan while the rest of the world is running Spurriers.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When you average less than a goal a game, why bother even showing up to play. It seems like all our guys were afraid to shoot the ball instead they tried to make a perfect pass which almost always failed.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Yep. I only got to watch the first half but saw the other games and they just refuse to take good shot opportunities. Messi just scored by firing it through a crowd from 18 out. Goalie had no chance because he never saw it. Our guys won’t do that and instead try to pass it through that crowd to a guy with not chance of scoring. We were taught from a young age to fire at will and crash for a rebound. Also gets some PK’s as well from potential hand balls. But we instead try to setup low percentage headers against a back line of guys that were 6’5”. We are essentially running a Muschamp game plan while the rest of the world is running Spurriers.

You're right that our strategy left a lot to be desired and our attackers tried to be too pretty rather than to just take shots; but to the italicized: most of the world runs a pretty defensive gameplan because they don't have the talent to compete with the top countries. The amount of countries that have the talent to play intricate, high-quality soccer is pretty small--not coincidentally enough, usually around 15 or so in any given cycle.

We have a lot of pieces in place to do just that (fast, athletic MFs, wingers, and fullbacks)--but no top-quality, proven goalscorer as of yet.

Still, getting to the round of 16 isn't a bad result. Dozens of countries have never even made it that far; and even traditional world powers like Germany, Italy, mexico, Uruguay, and Colombia can't say that this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.