Frustration with Gator Bait/ Recruiting three star players

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Looking through my daily Gator football news and I came across an article on GatorBait. It's about the Gators going after another three star player. I'm doubly frustrated here. Gator Bait says it's a VIP Access article. Do they think I'm going to sign up to hear about us recruiting another "raw talent"? I wonder if the Gator Bait Administrators are frustrated too that they have to try to entice gator fans to sign up using an article about another three star player. Also this is the time of year that I'm really thirsty for some gator football news. Good news. And all I get is "we're recruiting another three star" or "Gators trying their hardest to get a four star to VISIT". I don't post very often here. I'm a daily lurker though. Just had to vent for a sec. Go Gators!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Aaaannnd this is how we go after the 5-Star players

desperation-desire-meagen-fox-desperate-demotivational-poster-1250708134.jpg

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I don't really stress about the star ratings in March. Many players will move up or down after they play their senior season of high school ball.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Looking through my daily Gator football news and I came across an article on GatorBait. It's about the Gators going after another three star player. I'm doubly frustrated here. Gator Bait says it's a VIP Access article. Do they think I'm going to sign up to hear about us recruiting another "raw talent"? I wonder if the Gator Bait Administrators are frustrated too that they have to try to entice gator fans to sign up using an article about another three star player. Also this is the time of year that I'm really thirsty for some gator football news. Good news. And all I get is "we're recruiting another three star" or "Gators trying their hardest to get a four star to VISIT". I don't post very often here. I'm a daily lurker though. Just had to vent for a sec. Go Gators!

Here is all you need to know about UF football recruiting:

1. UF will recruit a bunch of guys.

2. UF will have a bunch of visits.

3. UF will sign fewer guys than the number of visit, probably many fewer.

4. UF will sign a good class probably to 10 or 12 unless it is a transition year.

5. At UF and most importantly what matters with a coach is NOT his ability to recruit, UF gets players, what matters is can he coach the players he gets.

Once you understand this, then you will know that while this or that 5 star or 3 star is interesting but not crucial.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't get your panties in a twist yet. We signed twice as many 4*s as 3*s last cycle and we had a pretty good group in a few weeks ago:

4* QB Joe Milton 100%
4* TE/DT Judge Culpepper 100%
4* ReubenUnjie (MG Academy) 100%
4* S Amari Burney 100%
4* OL William Barnes 100%
4* LB JJ Peterson 100%
4* S CJ Smith 100%
3* TE/DE Jarret Jackson 100%
3* DB Sevyn Banks 100%
3* OL John Campbell 100%
3* RB Lavonte Valentine 100%
4* DL Malcom Lamar 80%
3* WR Corey Gammage 67%
4* RB Asa Martin 60%
4* OL Cleceland Reed 57%
4* WR Dominik Watt 50%
3* RB Chris Curry 50%
3* TE Geroge Takacs 40%
4* WR Jacob Copeland 29%
5* DB Tyreke Johnoson 14%

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
5*'s , in some ways, are like splash hires. They look good on the outside and make the natives feel good about themselves..Though, I'd rather have a few than not. And there's no need to pay for complaining about 3* players, you can get that here for free.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Judge Culpepper is an interesting recruit. Interesting that he is being recruited as a DE however his Hudl highlight film includes only play at TE and QB. Very athletic, seems to have great hands but not really impressed with his YAC. His father was a monster DE both at UF and the NFL but I must be the only person here that was not aware that his Grandfather was as well.
http://www.ckfirm.com/Articles/Bruc...onal-Injury-Firm-Culpepper-Kurland-Pllc.shtml

On a personal note, Culpepper was captain of the football team at the University of Florida in college. His son and colleague Attorney Brad Culpepper, also of Culpepper Kurland, PLLC, was Florida's football captain 30 years after his father was. They are the only father and son both inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame. Bruce Culpepper also served as past president of Gator Boosters, Inc.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't really stress about the star ratings in March. Many players will move up or down after they play their senior season of high school ball.

Or they go to a 4 star when Saban offers them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here is all you need to know about UF football recruiting:

1. UF will recruit a bunch of guys.

2. UF will have a bunch of visits.

3. UF will sign fewer guys than the number of visit, probably many fewer.

4. UF will sign a good class probably to 10 or 12 unless it is a transition year.

5. At UF and most importantly what matters with a coach is NOT his ability to recruit, UF gets players, what matters is can he coach the players he gets.

Once you understand this, then you will know that while this or that 5 star or 3 star is interesting but not crucial.

I wouldn't be so sure as only 1 team in recent history has won an SEC Championship with classes about like what Muschamp got this year with another class below that. No team in recent history has won an SEC Championship with 2 classes like Mac had his first 2 seasons.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Coach Hee Haw hasn't done all that bad on the recruiting trail.
This year's Top Ten ranking is impressive, albeit being bolstered by some
recruits with very heavy baggage. Now in year 3 of the McElwain Experiment,
we shall see if Bucky is capable of doing anything with the guys he now has in the fold.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECAP OF FLORIDA'S 2017 RECRUITING CLASS:

Quarterback
3-Star Jake Allen

Florida only took one quarterback, but it was a quality get at a needed position. Jake Allen lost a star, but that means at some point, they saw four-star potential in him. Still, another talented kid with a good body at a needed position for UF on campus.

Grade: C+

Running backs
3-Star Adarius Lemons

3-Star Malik Davis (Four-star on Rivals)

This is a loaded class at running back and you can’t tell me otherwise. Both kids were three stars (Malik Davis and Adarius Lemons), but if you check the film, they both play like studs. The Gators only needed one quality back in this cycle with their already loaded backfield, but ended up taking two.

Grade: A

Wide Receivers
4-Star Daquon Green

4-Star James Robinson

Another position like running back that didn’t have any real needs, just luxury players. Luxury is what the Gators got with two four-star wideouts in Daquon Green and James Robinson. Both are beyond talented and will have great careers in Gainesville. (Of course, Robinson's future hinges in his ability to keep his nose clean after his misstep on his Ohio recruiting visit.)

Grade: A

Tight Ends
4-Star Kemore Gamble

3-Star Zech Byrd

Byrd isn’t official yet as he still hasn’t signed and faxed his LOI, likely for academic reasons. Gamble, on the other hand, is already on campus and looks to be a stud. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gamble were to have the starting job by conference play come this season.

Grade: B+

Offensive line
4-Star Kadeem Telfort

4-Star T.J. Moore

Grade: B

This is probably the position Florida missed the most at. They lost Kai Leon-Herbert to Miami, Alex Leatherwood to Alabama, and Navaughn Donaldson to Maimi. Regardless, the offensive line class was really solid to pair up with another one from last season. Telfort and Moore are both quality players.

Defensive Line
4-Star Zachary Carter

4-Star Elijah Conliffe

4-Star T.J. Slaton (Five star on Scout)

3-Star Kyree Campbell

Grade: B

This is a position with something left to be desired, but the Gators still finished strong in the defensive trenches. From a DT board that was as scrambled and bad as possible a month ago, it filled out nicely on signing day. Florida probably could have used another defensive tackle, but it is what it is. Everyone here will see immediate playing time, especially Campbell, who is already on campus.

Linebackers
3-Star Nick Smith

3-Star Ventrell Miller

3-Star James Houston

2-Star Lacedrick Brunson

Grade: C+

On paper, easily the weakest position, but linebacker depth was needed more than day one-staters this cycle. When evaluating linebackers, we also have to keep in mind the Gators have Randy Shannon evaluating them. If Randy Shannon likes a kid, he’s most likely better than what he appears to be on the surface. I’m content with the four linebackers taken. I would have liked to see Levi Jones or Rahyme Johnson in the class, but it didn’t turn out like that.

Defensive Backs
4-Star Brad Stewart

4-Star Marco Wilson

4-Star Christopher Henderson

3-Star Brian Edwards (Four-star on Rivals)

3-Star Shawn Davis

3-Star Donovan Stiner

Grade: A+

Man, let me tell you something. This defensive back class Florida has coming in is loaded—even without Elijah Blades. You’re talking about six kids, five of whom were Plan A options at major programs like Alabama, Miami, LSU, and USC, in one class. Don’t get me wrong, either; Stiner is a great talent, which is why he ended up at DBU. This whole set of defensive backs are studs. Florida football fans should be excited to see these kids in the swamp come September.

Must Read: Kasey Hill is fueling the Florida men's basketball team's turnaround
Athlete
3-Star Kadarius Toney

No idea where he will actually play despite taking current reps at QB. Nonetheless, he’s a fantastic athlete with an elite skill set. Great asset.

Grade: A+

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting rankings and stars don't mean jack squat if the coaches can't develop them. Cowart was a 5 star recruit and Ahmad Black was a ZERO star recruit so anything can happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
5*'s , in some ways, are like splash hires. .
What would we done wothout Tebow, Harvin, Spikes, Dunlap, and Reggie Nelson?

Or without Wuerrfel and Taylor?

I will tell you what, that case with THE BIG trophies would be empty. That is a fact.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Just to reiterate and 2222 can and will back this up...our top ten class this year would have been 13th last year and 14th the year before. Let that sink in for a sec. The 2291 points would have been another ho hum class but the top three schools pulled in a record haul for them creating a HUGE/WIDE gap between the have's and haven nots. Artificially putting us in the top ten.

It was posted on another site but with much better details and graphs.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

If you hadn't noticed yet, we have a staff full of coal miners for recruiters. Orders from Mac are keep bringing in lumps of coal, we'll find a diamond in one of them..

As for lurking daily, you posted, so now you are obligated to give your two cents in the State of the Board thread. Your post above reinforces what many say, that it isn't just a small vocal minority that are upset with the program, we are legion.. But damnit, post like yours are driving the snowflakes to safe zones and we are losing members, the negativity oozing out... tsk tsk . The good news you are seeking, LDR isn't practicing, so one of the young studs is getting more reps!

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I used to get the hard copy of Gatorbait in the mail years ago. The "preview" for the upcoming game would arrive in my mailbox, usually about 4 days after the game had been played. Back then you could actually call the douchebag who ran it and complain, which I did. He always blamed it on the mail, and actually suggested I call the postal service. I finally gave up and canceled my subscription when I got a copy in the mail that had emblazoned on the cover "Vanderbilt Preview!!" several days after our blow-out victory over the Commodores. The articles were almost always poorly-written nothingness about stuff you already knew or couldn't care less about anyway. It's nice to see that content-wise they're still trying to gin up excitement about that which no one anywhere is interested in.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Though, I'd rather have a few than not.
Try quoting this part, too, if you want the full picture. But, in reality, for every Tebow, there's a Brantley. Hopefully, more Tebows. It's an inexact science.

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Team leaders work wonders during a season campaign... let's hope that diamond is a part of the roster or getting polished. Go Gators!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Judge Culpepper is an interesting recruit. Interesting that he is being recruited as a DE however his Hudl highlight film includes only play at TE and QB. Very athletic, seems to have great hands but not really impressed with his YAC. His father was a monster DE both at UF and the NFL but I must be the only person here that was not aware that his Grandfather was as well.
http://www.ckfirm.com/Articles/Bruc...onal-Injury-Firm-Culpepper-Kurland-Pllc.shtml

On a personal note, Culpepper was captain of the football team at the University of Florida in college. His son and colleague Attorney Brad Culpepper, also of Culpepper Kurland, PLLC, was Florida's football captain 30 years after his father was. They are the only father and son both inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame. Bruce Culpepper also served as past president of Gator Boosters, Inc.

But is he "Tenacious" like his father?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Damn, Brad Culpepper was 30 years ago, seems like yesterday. Time flies as we march to our inevitable death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.