FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to say what FSU does here beyond wait more. The teams beaten under Haggins’ watch aren’t worth the paper their media guides are printed on.

However, and this is a big one, Haggins has won over the locker room in short order. He’s done away with the “swag surfing” ritual before kickoffs and instilled more of a professional attitude on the sideline. The players insist they’re playing harder. He’s a notoriously solid recruiter. He’s a member of the FSU Hall of Fame and highly respected with its fans.

So what does FSU do? They wait on the results of the Florida game and then decide. Why wouldn’t they? What better litmus test of what he’s done so far? An improbable upset win cements Haggins as the permanent permanent. A highly competitive effort likely does the same.

Less than that? It’s likely back to Square One for FSU.
I've said it before. Outside of a bigtime hire, which they can't get. Haggins is probably their best option. He seems like a no nonsense guy and has had success when given the opportunity. He can't choose who he plays. If we don't beat them by more than 3 TD's in the Swamp, I think they should give it to him. Even if he's just an interim, he stabilizes the place. Recruiting will take care of itself. The have FLA&M to help. It's not like UF where you try to entice players with foreign exchange students.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really believe Stoops was negotiating for his brother Mark. The UK fans really do like him, but they'd turn on him in a second if he publicly flirted with FSU. They've pretty much given him whatever he's asked for. After kicking Willie off after less than 2 seasons, there a value placed on a safe job paying you nearly $5MM.

That leaves Matt Campbell, and there is absolutely no reason to think he'd leave ISU for FSU. If Haggins has a good showing against us, they'll almost be forced to give him some sort of interim title, unless a big name miracle happens. I truly don't think any of them took off their rainbow clown glasses

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I really believe Stoops was negotiating for his brother Mark. The UK fans really do like him, but they'd turn on him in a second if he publicly flirted with FSU. They've pretty much given him whatever he's asked for. After kicking WiLLLLLLLie off after less than 2 seasons, there a value placed on a safe job paying you nearly $5MM.

You may be correct on Mark Stoops. I personally think the angle of the previous coach getting fired after less than 2 years is not as much a concern for the candidates as we believe. Think about it, these guys get paid regardless. Willie made about $27 MILLION for about 2 years of work! I think most middle of the road candidates would take the gig (not just the FSU gig but any gig they are considering) if they can get significantly more money from the new school than they can get by renegotiating their current contract. If the current school gives them a decent raise with maybe another few years added on then they stay put because of inertia.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
You may be correct on Mark Stoops. I personally think the angle of the previous coach getting fired after less than 2 years is not as much a concern for the candidates as we believe. Think about it, these guys get paid regardless. WiLLLLLLLie made about $27 MILLION for about 2 years of work! I think most middle of the road candidates would take the gig (not just the FSU gig but any gig they are considering) if they can get significantly more money from the new school than they can get by renegotiating their current contract. If the current school gives them a decent raise with maybe another few years added on then they stay put because of inertia.
A couple of pluses for Mark. Football is king at FSU, it's not at UK. And he wouldn't have the SEC schedule at FSU. He could be a contender and get a raise.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You may be correct on Mark Stoops. I personally think the angle of the previous coach getting fired after less than 2 years is not as much a concern for the candidates as we believe. Think about it, these guys get paid regardless. WiLLLLLLLie made about $27 MILLION for about 2 years of work! I think most middle of the road candidates would take the gig (not just the FSU gig but any gig they are considering) if they can get significantly more money from the new school than they can get by renegotiating their current contract. If the current school gives them a decent raise with maybe another few years added on then they stay put because of inertia.
maybe so, but Willie is pretty much done for any high level coaching job. Stoops is making $4.75 million, which means that FSU would likely have to get close to $6 million by the time UK bids it up, and UK boosters are far more reliable than FSU boosters. So given the state of the FSU program, would want your reputation tied to a short leash, especially given the Pres/AD situation

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Has anyone considered the possibility that FSU doesn't have the slightest interest in Mark Stoops? His name has been thrown around from the beginning, but there has been absolutely zero smoke that FSU is interested. And I don't blame FSU - that fat toad isn't taking anyone to the promised land. He's a joke and is where he belongs.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
maybe so, but WiLLLLLLLie is pretty much done for any high level coaching job. Stoops is making $4.75 million, which means that FSU would likely have to get close to $6 million by the time UK bids it up, and UK boosters are far more reliable than FSU boosters. So given the state of the FSU program, would want your reputation tied to a short leash, especially given the Pres/AD situation

I don’t think Willie really cares. He’s probably worth $15 million, including the buyout money. He never has to work another day in his life.

Regarding Stoops or other candidates, I don’t think they care about Willie getting fired at about the 2 year mark. Think about it...any decent coach believes in his own coaching abilities and he’s also smart enough to know that Willie sucked and was in way over his head.

I believe they are more focused on other issues. The AD/Pres. issue is a valid concern, as are other things like commitment to facilities, asst. salary pool, level of competition/ease of path to conference and national championships, etc. It’s things like that I believe they look at more closely. If those things line up and they get a boatload more money, they go. If not, they use the rumors to get a boatload more money from current school and they stay.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maybe so, but WiLLLLLLLie is pretty much done for any high level coaching job. Stoops is making $4.75 million, which means that FSU would likely have to get close to $6 million by the time UK bids it up, and UK boosters are far more reliable than FSU boosters. So given the state of the FSU program, would want your reputation tied to a short leash, especially given the Pres/AD situation

We thought the same thing about Chump when UF fired him...

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think WiLLLLLLLie really cares. He’s probably worth $15 million, including the buyout money. He never has to work another day in his life.

Regarding Stoops or other candidates, I don’t think they care about WiLLLLLLLie getting fired at about the 2 year mark. Think about it...any decent coach believes in his own coaching abilities and he’s also smart enough to know that WiLLLLLLLie sucked and was in way over his head.

I believe they are more focused on other issues. The AD/Pres. issue is a valid concern, as are other things like commitment to facilities, asst. salary pool, level of competition/ease of path to conference and national championships, etc. It’s things like that I believe they look at more closely. If those things line up and they get a boatload more money, they go. If not, they use the rumors to get a boatload more money from current school and they stay.

If this was true then Urban will just go anywhere right? He won't care about roster or booster situation?

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We thought the same thing about Chump when UF fired him...
I don't recall anyone thinking he would not coach again. In fact most thought he'd land as a coordinator or a HC at a smaller school. He happened to parlay his AU DC job into a crappy HC gig. Muschamp is also beloved by southern boosters.

Fun fact, the FSU fans I've mentioned Muschamp to as an option if USCe fires him, have been very open to him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't recall anyone thinking he would not coach again. In fact most thought he'd land as a coordinator or a HC at a smaller school. He happened to parlay his AU DC job into a crappy HC gig. Muschamp is also beloved by southern boosters.

Fun fact, the FSU fans I've mentioned Muschamp to as an option if USCe fires him, have been very open to him.
The Chimp at FSU....what a dream come true that would be. Only Butters would be better.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
If this was true then Urban will just go anywhere right? He won't care about roster or booster situation?

Did you forget to read the 3rd paragraph of my post you quoted where I said candidates are more concerned about “other things like commitment to facilities, asst. salarypool, level of competition/ease of path toconference and national championships, etc.”?

I can only assume you’re on a bender and living up to your screen handle.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Did you forget to read the 3rd paragraph of my post you quoted where I said “other things like commitment to facilities, asst. salarypool, level of competition/ease of path toconference and national championships, etc.”?

I can only assume you’re on a bender and living up to your screen handle.
Nobody reads the third paragraph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.