FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'm sure most have kept up with the static from F$U and the Stoops saga. Seems the latest is that they are in negotiations and expect to announce a big $ deal next week. I'll continue to wait and see, but what do you think the effect on college football in the state of Florida and specifically to UF would be if this somehow panned out?

It would definitely hurt. We’ve been hoping that the last year of Jimbo’s tenure coupled with Willie’s two (well, almost 2 would be more accurate) would set them back to the point that they, too, would suffer a lost decade or more.

If Stoops is hired, they will be a 9 win minimum team next year and he’ll have them on firm footing. They will immediately be a threat to win the ACC. In essence, they will have lost just 3 years. A nearly guaranteed win for us each season could become a frequent loss. Furthermore, recruiting will become much more difficult for us. In short, if he is hired, it will feel like a kick in the balls.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Last edited:

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
So the newest name I’m hearing is Bill Cowher. He’s an ACC guy (played his college ball at N.C. State) and apparently he and the FSU AD are friends. I’m curious how high school recruits will react to this. Do they even remember Cowher from his days coaching the Steelers?
SMH

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, that sucks.

Clowntown hires a champion in Stoops and we hire Cousin Eddie, the perennial 3rd place guy.

I still think he is just providimg cover for Mark Stoops.
But he looks like he’s moving to second place now. Right in line with our recruiting. Yay?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Would be something, they couldn’t afford to keep Jimbo, but now can afford an elite coach like Bob and pay 20 million to get rid of Willie. Guess they got the money for a killer staff and brand new facilities now all of a sudden too.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry to rain on the pity parade but Bob Stoops isn't a top 5 Coach...... Maybe in the top 10 or 15 but how many Championships does he have? At Oklahomo, he had everything going for him, won't be so easy in Florida....

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, that sucks.

Clowntown hires a champion in Stoops and we hire Cousin Eddie, the perennial 3rd place guy.

I still think he is just providimg cover for Mark Stoops.

We were dang lucky to get Cousin Eddie!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry to rain on the pity parade but Bob Stoops isn't a top 5 Coach...... Maybe in the top 10 or 15 but how many Championships does he have? At Oklahomo, he had everything going for him, won't be so easy in Florida....
Wait..... you think it is easier to recruit nationally and get kids to move to Oklahoma than it would be to Florida?

He is a better coach than Mullinz, plain and simple. And a far better recruiter.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gracious, from FSU is in shambles to FSU pulling a perrenial 10+ wins HC out of a retirement that he left his "dream job" to disappear into. I cannot see the job at FSU being anything but a nightmare -no high caliber HC will stoop to take it. Also, rumors flow like flashfloods, yet the FSU coach-search gives up one most-unlikely name at a time. That hints at the "FSU HC braintrust" as extremely narrowminded as it is dumbfounding. I will go with FSU is and always has been dumbfounding.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
This all just seems so familiar, but it never ends up with Bob stoops signing. Or Chip Kelly. Or Mike Shanahan. I’m hoping this plays out the same way. If not, ...

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What do the players think about Stoops? Does he have a bigger hill to climb?

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Wonder if these coaching firing, Hiring and buyouts are brought to us by the taxpayers of the State of Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb