FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Didnt they buy him out of Oregon also?
How is it a record if it’s the SECOND largest?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Don't he have heart trouble now?

Yes he had a heart attack but he is back working his TV gig. My point is he becomes a CEO type like Booby was and Ogre is now, makes a lot less, hires 2 or 3 high paid assts. and just oversees things and tries to corral the idiot players from doing too many stupid things off the field.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Yes he had a heart attack but he is back working his TV gig. My point is he becomes a CEO type like Booby was and Ogre is now, makes a lot less, hires 2 or 3 high paid assts. and just oversees things and tries to corral the idiot players from doing too many stupid things off the field.

Richt would be a considerable upgrade.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
A logical hire would be Mark Stoops, who hit his ceiling at UK. Maybe even Venables from Tater.

But we're not dealing with logic here, so the FSU Top 5 will be, in no particular order,

Chizik
Bob Stoops (old)
Urban (never)
Brian Kelly (never)
Kiffin

I agree with you on Mark Stoops, I thought about him as a candidate a few weeks ago. I hope they do worse than him.

Venables has done well as a DC but that doesn’t always translate to being a good HC. FSU may want someone with prior experience being a head coach. They will have to pay Venables a lot of money and most likely pay Clemson a buyout as he makes a ton of cash and just agreed to a new contract earlier this year.

They won’t go for Chizik, he wasn’t that good as a HC at other stops and he’s been away from coaching for a while now.

The others on your list they may make a run at but I’m not sure they’d land any of them other than Kiffin. He’d take the job guaranteed and that would be good for us.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
They were losing a lot of revenue and fans weren't showing up. Maybe that's the ticket when we want a new coach. Even when we had Shark boy and chump and zook our fans showed out every week. Less than normal at times but still a good showing. They just said the heck with it and quit coming.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I agree with you on Mark Stoops, I thought about him as a candidate a few weeks ago. I hope they do worse than him.

Venables has done well as a DC but that doesn’t always translate to being a good HC. FSU may want someone with prior experience being a head coach. They will have to pay Venables a lot of money and most likely pay Clemson a buyout as he makes a ton of cash and just agreed to a new contract earlier this year.

They won’t go for Chizik, he wasn’t that good as a HC at other stops and he’s been away from coaching for a while now.

The others on your list they may make a run at but I’m not sure they’d land any of them other than Kiffin. He’d take the job guaranteed and that would be good for us.

I don;t know if this is correct or not. For example if Venables were hired he would simply resign and his contract would be void. I don;t think any school hiring him as a HC would have to pay anything b/c it is for a higher position, not a lateral move.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
They were losing a lot of revenue and fans weren't showing up. Maybe that's the ticket when we want a new coach. Even when we had Shark boy and chump and zook our fans showed out every week. Less than normal at times but still a good showing. They just said the heck with it and quit coming.
So you’re saying there’s benefits to having fairweather fans? Hadn’t thought of it that way but makes sense.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I don;t know if this is correct or not. For example if Venables were hired he would simply resign and his contract would be void. I don;t think any school hiring him as a HC would have to pay anything b/c it is for a higher position, not a lateral move.

I believe you are right and I stand corrected on that point.

RaptureVeteran

Banned
BANNED
Jan 26, 2019
I think the funniest thing about this situation is that people are scared of who FSU could hire to replace him. And I get that to a certain extent, but lets remember how Jeremy Foley was absolutely miserable as an AD with all his hires. Depending on if you believe the rumors, he wanted Ferentz after the firing of Zook, Machen did the work on Meyer. Otherwise we know how bad Foley was with his hires. Zook, Muschamp, McElwain. End of story. Most ADs are either good or bad at this kind of thing. And FSUs AD thought Taggart was worthy of being the only guy they needed to spend time going after and now you're scared of him knocking the next hire out of the park? Ill be scared when he actually proves that fear to be rational, otherwise I look forward to FSU hiring Kiffin or some other coach with a limited ceiling

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I think the funniest thing about this situation is that people are scared of who FSU could hire to replace him. And I get that to a certain extent, but lets remember how Jeremy Foley was absolutely miserable as an AD with all his hires. Depending on if you believe the rumors, he wanted Ferentz after the firing of Zook, Machen did the work on Meyer. Otherwise we know how bad Foley was with his hires. Zook, Muschamp, McElwain. End of story. Most ADs are either good or bad at this kind of thing. And FSUs AD thought Taggart was worthy of being the only guy they needed to spend time going after and now you're scared of him knocking the next hire out of the park? Ill be scared when he actually proves that fear to be rational, otherwise I look forward to FSU hiring Kiffin or some other coach with a limited ceiling
They have a new AD.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Can you believe that turd goes 9-12 and gets to walk with $17 million? It's beyond belief.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Something to remember, they had made some big progress ($ wise) on a football only facility. That may be where the money is coming from. They also have high hopes for ACC money; they really think they'll get SEC Network money, because of basketball.

But the buyout won't be $17 million. He didn't finish the season, so it's higher just for him. Hard to say what the assistants' buyouts will be, because they tend to be shorter duration. Knowing some folks linked to a huge booster in Tallahassee, he's been on a short leash, but they really had high expectations with Briles coming on board. I've heard that all in, it will be in excess of $40 million to get a big name, IF they can get a big name. In excess of $30 million to just get this whole thing done, unless someone is promoted. Just buyout money, not first year salary.

Many really like Stoops, and he would be somewhat troublesome for us there if he could keep the recruiting level high. Stoops loves UK, and they would probably bid him up out of FSU's checkbook. Who is going to go there with poor boster support, poor facilities, and a quick trigger if you aren't successful immediately. Venerables would want Clemson facilities and that won't happen. They were in between a rock and a hard place. I wouldn't be surprised to see a non P5 HC or a coordinator. As bad as it is that they fired him, who can they realistically get?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Can you believe that turd goes 9-12 and gets to walk with $17 million? It's beyond belief.

Don’t forget the nearly $10 million in salary they’ve paid him over the past 2 years.

Heck I would have done it for half of Willie’s rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb