Game Over: NCAA allows athletes to profit from name

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
So, if a Clemson or Bama booster offers a $100,000 guaranteed likeness deal for every year the 5* player is enrolled and on the team, it's perfectly legal. At least we won't be getting into any bidding wars.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Hopefully, but perhaps Im just a dreamer, the NCAA now finally acknowledging it needs to happen they can prevent some of the extreme examples cited with some well thought out and rational rules.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So bob the booster tells 5 star athlete if he attends the school they'll pay him money to use his likeness in their car ads and stuff like that. Well, here we go......

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I imagine the Texas schools with their rich boosters are salivating with all these 50k commercial deals for all the best players

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So bob the booster tells 5 star athlete if he attends the school they'll pay him money to use his likeness in their car ads and stuff like that. Well, here we go......

I think it was McElroy that brought up the impact this would(now will) have on the team dynamic. So in 2008, Tebow, Harvin and Spikes are getting serious deals, Dunlap and Murphy a little smaller, and then like 15+ starters who are critical role players but don't command the money, are just sitting by idly as the typical broke students. I don't see how that can be healthy.

And I'm still not sure what was wrong with the old system. Haven't heard a valid explanation for why the free education, room and board, plus exposure to a professional career are simply not enough, or been presented with examples of ones who've been harmed by it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hopefully, but perhaps Im just a dreamer, the NCAA now finally acknowledging it needs to happen they can prevent some of the extreme examples cited with some well thought out and rational rules.
How?

This leads to only one thing. The team with the most money dominates college football forever.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Honestly, I'll be done with college football in a couple of years.
This will very quickly devolve into the top 1% having 99% of the talent. They'll be 5-10 teams that are competitive. Get use to 70-0 games during most of the regular season.
The NCAA can't do anything other than maybe say Boosters can't be the payee. That can't control someone who doesn't have affiliation with the University. So as a wealthy businessman instead of becoming a "Booster" I pay recruits for their likeness in my commercials. There are sooo many ways to abuse this. Saban's head must be exploding.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This will very quickly devolve into the top 1% having 99% of the talent. They'll be 5-10 teams that are competitive. Get use to 70-0 games during most of the regular season.
Football is close to that. UK UNC and Duke would say its close in basketball. Private high schools have gone a long way
in taking over the small school titles..........

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Football is close to that. UK UNC and Duke would say its close in basketball. Private high schools have gone a long way
in taking over the small school titles..........
So shouldn't the right thing be to try to make it less that way instead of making it more that way.
And the Olympics operate nothing like College football recruiting.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The people saying this is going to ruin college football because the teams with the most money will run the show obviously aren't paying attention already.

Who wins the titles? The teams with the deepest pockets for coaching staffs, facilities, stadiums, recruiting budgets, training staff, weight room, fancy dorms, and friendly car dealerships with extra Chargers and Escalades sitting around. How will this change that? College football has been about money for YEARS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.