Game Reset on Dan Mullen

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was curious how he ranked against the big boys, Spurrier and Meyer, at this point in his UF tenure. So I started googling and got out the trusty calculator.

Through game #4, fourth season.

Spurrier 32-8 (0-1 in SECCG)
Meyer 34-9 (1-0 in SECCG, BCS title)
Mullen 32-10 (0-1 in SECCG)

How about against ranked teams at this juncture? Mullen sucks against ranked teams, right? Maybe so, maybe not so bad compared to his predecessors.

Spurrier 9-8
Meyer 11-5
Mullen 7-6

Strength of schedule? Without spending half my day futilely comparing apples to pineapples, I’ll just say this: IMO, college football, and the SEC in particular, are far more competitive now than the early ‘90s or late ‘00s.

Maybe we shouldn’t be so hard on Mullen beyond the sometimes snarky attitude, the piss-poor recruiting and the inexplicable gay love for Todd Grantham.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen could do one thing to raise his stature in my eyes and that is to stop being a belt-fed excuse launcher. Nobody is perfect and only deranged fans expect perfection, so stop acting like every time something goes wrong it’s someone else’s fault.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I was curious how he ranked against the big boys, Spurrier and Meyer, at this point in his UF tenure. So I started googling and got out the trusty calculator.

Spurrier 32-8 (0-2 in SECCG)

How about against ranked teams at this juncture? Mullen sucks against ranked teams, right? Maybe so, maybe not so bad compared to his predecessors.

Spurrier 9-8
Meyer 11-5
Mullen 7-6

Strength of schedule? Without spending half my day futilely comparing apples to pineapples, I’ll just say this: IMO, college football, and the SEC in particular, are far more competitive now than the early ‘90s or late ‘00s.

Maybe we shouldn’t be so hard on Mullen beyond the sometimes snarky attitude, the piss-poor recruiting and the inexplicable gay love for Todd Grantham.

Swamp donkey is gonna call you some choice words after this tidbit.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'll stop being tough on him when he starts earning his paycheck. Through 4 seasons he's averaged 3 losses, made terrible coaching decisions, refused to be play the better players, and has recruited average imo, yet he's a top 6 paid coach.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I had no beef with most of the post,, but the last sentence is exactly why he deserves 100% of the schit thrown his way. He'll never win anything of consequence with Fat Todd, and he'll struggle to achieve a higher success unless we recruit better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had no beef with most of the post,, but the last sentence is exactly why he deserves 100% of the schit thrown his way. He'll never win anything of consequence with Fat Todd, and he'll struggle to achieve a higher success unless we recruit better.

That means he has potentially higher upside. All he needs to do is replace Badtham with a middling FCS assistant and we’re vastly improved.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen could do one thing to raise his stature in my eyes and that is to stop being a belt-fed excuse launcher. Nobody is perfect and only deranged fans expect perfection, so stop acting like every time something goes wrong it’s someone else’s fault.

Perfectly stated.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I like the offensive product on the field. Yesterday’s 1st half was a bit boring though. Like we were sleep walking.

I don’t get why we keep Grantham. Hopefully we lead in sacks this year and Grantham moves on.

I agree 100% that my issue with Mullen is he is pretentious as fvk. But in a non endearing way.

Oh and the abortion ending to last season.

I’d like us to recruit like the big boys. I think Mullen generally out coaches the opposition but if he just recruited like a normal staff, we would have a much stronger program.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
78 has gone over to the Dark Side!!!!!!!

:bart:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Since I like giving examples with my statements I'll pluck one from last night that sums up Mullen in my eyes.

EJ flips the field with a 40-50 yard run and lo and behold we actually hurry to line up on the ball(for maybe the 3rd time ever) and press what looks to be a tired and wilting defensive front of UT....then it happens....we run probably the ABSOLUTE WORSE PLAY EVER in that situation... :headslap:A slow to develop throwback across the field....which is probably the least effort exerting play you could throw at a tired defense. Of course it falls incomplete which stops the clock(we were up by multiple scores in the 4th quarter) allows the defense to substitute fresh players for the next 2 telegraphed running plays that leave us short of a FG attempt,....punt the ball and end up with a 16 yard net....

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
To Mullen’s credit, we aren’t the pathetic version of Gators football rolled out by McMuschampelwein. We’re not losing to Ga Southern any time soon and I don’t see garbage like guys blocking each other.

At least our floor is much higher, but it’s an 8 foot ceiling above that floor. He needs to win the big ones, and so far he’s failed MISERABLY in that department.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I'll stop being tough on him when he starts earning his paycheck. Through 4 seasons he's averaged 3 losses, made terrible coaching decisions, refused to be play the better players, and has recruited average imo, yet he's a top 6 paid coach.
You left out the fact that he should have fired Grantham last year, at the very latest.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
To Mullen’s credit, we aren’t the pathetic version of Gators football rolled out by McMuschampelwein. We’re not losing to Ga Southern any time soon and I don’t see garbage like guys blocking each other.

At least our floor is much higher, but it’s an 8 foot ceiling above that floor. He needs to win the big ones, and so far he’s failed MISERABLY in that department.

This is a problem, and I’m guilty of it myself. We can’t use the Mushcramp and McElstain days as the bar. The bar is the early 90s, and the mid 2000s when we were scary dominant. We were the 2010s ‘Bama then, and THAT is the bar. We did it twice, ‘blama has been there longer, but I don’t ever want to hear or say “well, at least we’re better than…” ever again.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That means he has potentially higher upside. All he needs to do is replace Badtham with a middling FCS assistant and we’re vastly improved.

No. Unless your talent level is vastly superior to your opponents (which UF's will never be ) you won;t win championships on talent alone. Getting rid of Joe Lee Dunn Jr. is only a surface start. We need to rid all of our assts. But the problem with them lies at the top. He has no ability to identify coaching talent nor does anyone of consequence want to work with him. Even if he did all these things, coaching fundamentals and good game management skills are needed to win at the very top. Cousin Eddie fails in both those depts.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

The monetary side of the equation is irrelevant, in my view. By all metrics, yes, he’s overpaid. But I think most fans strictly care about results. If we were putting a terrible product out on the field, but saving a ton on coaching salaries, no one would be happy. And if we were winning it all every year but paying him 20 mil to do so, no one would care. As I’ve said before, the pay issue is entirely on Stricklin and his poorly handled search back in 2017. Once we got to Mullen, we had zero leverage. And like any one of us would do, DM capitalized on that. When you start off too high in the first place, raises and extensions, which are a part of the deal, will only exacerbate that. It’s just the situation. No different than McDonalds drive through people making 15 per hour and getting a signing bonus. We have the money and God knows have obviously wasted it on much more futile pursuits. So I don’t care a bit about his pay, or blame him for demanding it. Performance is all that matters.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Spurrier 32-8 (0-2 in SECCG)

Spurrier 9-8
Meyer 11-5
Mullen 7-6

Nice job on this, however Spurrier was 1-1 in the SECCG, lost the first one in 92 and won it in 93. I have some problems with Mullen’s arrogance at times and his unwillingness to make changes when they are needed, but Spurrier was like that too, it took him a while to install the shotgun into his offense for one. I think Mullen is doing a better job than anyone else we could have gotten at the time he was hired, the one thing he could adopt from Spurrier is to not stick with dead wood coaches and players that aren’t getting the job done. Spurrier knew when to kick someone to the curb when it was needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator