Gator back in the name game for Jacksonville’s bowl

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180412/gator-back-in-name-game-for-jacksonvilles-bowl
IT"S ABOUT TIME

A vital part of the identity of the sixth-oldest college bowl game has been restored.

The Gator Bowl Sports Board of Trustees announced Thursday that the name “Gator” will be restored to the title of Jacksonville’s bowl game played at TIAA Bank Field. The formal name will be the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl, after four years in which TaxSlayer, an Augusta, Ga.-based online tax service, had increased its sponsorship to have sole possession of the game’s name.

However, TaxSlayer and the board reached what was called a mutual agreement to return the name that had been attached to the bowl since its creation in 1946. The 74th TaxSlayer Gator Bowl will be played in late December, matching a team from the SEC against an ACC or Big Ten team.
TaxSlayer, an Augusta, Ga.-based online tax service, had increased its sponsorship to have sole possession of the game’s name.

However, TaxSlayer and the board reached what was called a mutual agreement to return the name that had been attached to the bowl since its creation in 1946. The 74th TaxSlayer Gator Bowl will be played in late December, matching a team from the SEC against an ACC or Big Ten team.

TaxSlayer is not reducing its financial commitment to the game. It has been the game’s title sponsor for eight years, and for the first four years of the partnership, the game was known as the TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl.

“We love college football and what it means to the history of our city,” said game chairman Jamie Shelton during a news conference held at Best Bet, the site of the quarterly board meeting. “TaxSlayer working with us to help preserve our heritage is nothing short of spectacular. They have great people, and they love college football like we do. They understand what it means.”

TaxSlayer director of partnerships Josh Gaudin -- a Bolles graduate -- said the move “makes sense.”

“I think it can only help the game,” Gaudin said. “The name has history, and it’s synonomous with the game.”

Game president Rick Catlett pointed out that in 2020, the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl will celebrate its 75th anniversary during the same year that college football will celebrate its 150th.

“If you grew up in Jacksonville like I did, you grew up with the Greater Jacksonville Open, Georgia-Florida and the Gator Bowl,” Catlett said. “To have TaxSlayer make this decision speaks to the history and tradition in this community and their respect for college football in general. We’ve married two great brands back together and I think it’s going to continue our major economic impact.”

Estimates are that the game brings between $14-$16 million in economic impact to Northeast Florida. More than $500,000 annually is donated to charity at last year’s game launched a program in which free tickets were given to active duty and retired military and their families.

The date and time for this year’s game will be announced later this month. It will be televised on one of the ESPN networks. Tickets go on sale Sept. 1.

Mississippi State beat Louisville 31-27 at last year’s game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good. Any of us older than 30 or so remembers the names; Gator Bowl, Peach Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, Bluebonnet Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc. I understand the sponsors wanting their name on there, but there is nothing wrong w/ "Sponsor's Name + Gator Bowl" or whatever.

Agree w/ MW too, TWLOCP will always be TWLOCP!!! (although some idiots, like Law, want it moved back on campus).

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Good. Any of us older than 30 or so remembers the names; Gator Bowl, Peach Bowl, Tangerine Bowl, Bluebonnet Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc. I understand the sponsors wanting their name on there, but there is nothing wrong w/ "Sponsor's Name + Gator Bowl" or whatever.

Agree w/ MW too, TWLOCP will always be TWLOCP!!! (although some idiots, like Law, want it moved back on campus).

I love the old names, brings back lots of fond memories. The Bluebonnet Bowl had some really good games that I enjoyed watching as a kid back in the late 70s/early 80s.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm biased by my childhood, wherein the Gator Bowl meant the Georgia-Florida game. That "close-quarters" rivalry outdoes any broad-based bowl game. This puts tradition in the only logical place it can function. Wise decision.
(Could serve as rising PR for UF brand-name ... put Gator more at the forefront of minds of recruits.)

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rick Catlett and I played basketball for Arlington Jr. High

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online