Gator Baseball Best Posts in Thread: Gator Baseball: #1 overall seed

1. MuddyChewers

MuddyChewers Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
    Lifetime Member

Ratings:
    +9,920 / -41
    FSU is done! Thanks cowbell. Clowns go 0 and 2 in their own regional.

• Gator by the Sea

Gator by the Sea Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $566
      Ratings:
      +866 / -3
      Well, our Gators gave us a scare but they’re moving on to the Super Regional (and Georgia and FSU are NOT!!!)
      Something I noticed about the matchups for the Supers is that 6 SEC teams made it, but all of them are matched up against each other. The NCAA really hates the SEC. They didn’t match the Big 12, Pac 12 or ACC teams against each other, just the SEC. Hmmmm.....

Auburn vs. Florida
      Duke vs. Texas Tech
      South Carolina vs. Arkansas
      Tennessee Tech vs. Texas
      Washington vs. Cal State Fullerton
      Vanderbilt vs. Mississippi State
      Stetson vs. North Carolina
      Minnesota vs. Oregon State

• Ocalaman

Ocalaman Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
        $927
        Ratings:
        +942 / -31
        Watching FSU get their hearts ripped out on a 3-run homer with 2 outs, 2 on and 2 strikes on their home field warms my heart like very little else can. I love watching the Gators win in any sport. But watching FSU lose, especially like they did today, is high up on my list of favorite things.

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,651
          Ratings:
          +2,928 / -178
          Before I start a Supers thread, I wanted to touch on a few things that all 45 of us saw in the late game last nite, and DZ touched most of them.. As the game went on it felt like a mid week game in which we were leading like 11-2, but I kept looking at the scoreboard (sorry JR Douchbag) and could not believe it was 5-2 and the tying run actually came to the plate in the 7th for FAU. Off the top of my head we left 4 runs on the field and that would have been WITHOUT getting a single hit.Trailing 2-0 and runners on 2nd and 3rd, INDY singles to score Liput and Bell holds Nellie at 3rd, but the leftfielder had to go sideways to field the ball and Nelllie would have scored. With one out, we fly out to medium CF and Bell holds Nellie again. what should have been a huge inning netted us one run. Next inning Brady Smith singles, Horvath then singles to left and Brady Smith tries to go from 1st to 3rd with play right in front of him and ZERO outs. Smith the ball was hit to left and you are slow as HELL. Thrown out at 3rd base. I know he got injured (hope not seriously), but I looked at the top step and Sully's inner voice was saying WTF ARE U DOING?????????. Next hitter slams one over the wall for a 2 run homer, (would have been 3). Top of 9th, we load the bases with no outs and 3,4,5 hitters coming to bat. We DON'T score. Sure I credit the FAU pitcher but we had seen him ion Game 1. If we could have moved a runner or hit a SAC fly we win by 10. But at least we won. If we play offensively like that against Auburn we will not win, b/c we will not get multiple chances each game like we did against FAU.

If Leftwich could have thrown strikes from the beginning, it would have been a shutout. 3 walks in the 1st and a sawed off single and you are down 2. After that he threw strikes and got outs. Leftwich throws hard enough that if he throws strikes he will have success. Mace was good and so was Byrne. Obviously Dyson was NOT in the plan last nite and I am wondering if he is in the plan for the Supers, unless it is a blowout either way.

Bottom line better fundamental offense by handling the bat a little better, stop the baserunning BS and we will be fine.

And DZ stole my thunder. I predict also that if JJ can hit, JJ will play 1B and Girand will catch. Sure Girand strikes out, but he can go yard at any time and he is good enough defensively and has a better arm than. JJ.

• MuddyChewers

Lifetime Member

Ratings:
            +9,920 / -41
            Better up the price of the new stadium to make it a dome

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,651
              Ratings:
              +2,928 / -178
              Good guys win 3-2 and you guys hit the high notes, but I have to say we were very fortunate to win this game thanx to some poor base running and coaching by JU and a play that was NOT made (fortunately) by Liput that would have tied the game. JU's pitching was outstanding with 3 solo HR's and would have been 4 but Langworthy was absolutely robbed by a fantastic play by the JU RF. He snatched that ball below the top of the wall and was able to hold on and bring it back. If you did not see it, I would watch the highlights.

Singer was very very good, but he is his own worst enemy. He hit 2 batters on an 0-2 count and on a 1-2 count. You can't hit batters in those plus counts. The first one led directly to JU's first run and would have been more had the JU runner not hesitated on a safety squeeze and an outstanding play by Singer to not only field the bunt but have the presence to tag the runner coming home. Terrific. The solo HR was given up after we took a 3-1 lead and Singer fell behind in the count and the guy golfed a ball that looked like a 1 iron off the tee and put a hole in the scoreboard.

After 7 strong innings, Sully turned to Byrne and proceeded to give up a leadoff triple in the bottom of the 8th with a 3-2 lead. Now I was always under the impression in that instance, the corner IF's are playing NO DOUBLES defense, meaning they are guarding the lines. That ball was ankle high the whole way on the 1st base line. yes it was scorched, but IMO it should have been an out or knocked down and holding the guy to a single. But JU has a guy on 3rd and no outs. The next hitter lines to Dalton in medium RF. I think he should have tagged b/c Dalton did not have momentum and that guy is JU's leadoff hitter. Well he went 4 steps and went back to 3rd. Now with one out, the next hitter pops a ball in foul territory down the LF line, not overly deep, but b/c the infield was playing in it was a longer run that normal and Liput makes an incredible sliding stab, somewhat sno cones the ball and then it falls out of his glove (fortunately). If he catches that ball it is an easy tag up at 3rd and we have a tie game. So with the infield in, batter hits slow chop to 1B and the runner does not break on contact so he is still at 3rd base. next hitter pops out to catcher and a leadoff triple goes wasted thanx to poor baserunning, a fortunate dropped pop and a great pitching job by Byrne. Byrne then gets them 1 2 3 to end the game.

Credit JU's pitching but we need to swing a better bat. I always say solo HR's don;t beat you but that was the only way we scored and I have to think that if you had told JU we would score only 3 runs against that pitcher they would have taken it. Great outing by Singer after layoff and Girnad is filling in better than expected at catcher, both defensively and with the bat!

• Ocalaman

Oxbucks:
                $927
                Ratings:
                +942 / -31
                I, too hate it when the SEC teams have to play each other in Supers. However, we have to keep in mind that Auburn wasn't the host seed in the Raleigh regional, nor was South Carolina, Vandy or Miss. St. If the higher seeds had won, Georgia would be hosting Texas Tech, Ole Miss would be hosting Texas and South Carolina, Vandy, Auburn & Miss. St. wouldn't even be there. Hard for the NCAA to predict that a #2 or #3 regional seed is going to win and they had to put the 10 SEC teams that were selected somewhere.

#199 Ocalaman, Jun 5, 2018
                Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
                • MuddyChewers

Lifetime Member

Ratings:
                  +9,920 / -41
                  I retract my statement about the NCAA being not as stupid as I thought. They should have started the game at 10 AM.

• dz_23

dz_23 Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $142
                    Ratings:
                    +380 / -6
                    8-3, Sully is a genius

• GatorStud

GatorStud Score Points, Be Happy
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $597
                      Ratings:
                      +2,541 / -16
                      [​IMG]

Ok guys, therapy session over... time to Play Ball! Go Gators!!

• dz_23

dz_23 Well-Known Member
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $142
                        Ratings:
                        +380 / -6
                        Our “body of work” was most impressive. We won the conference ship in best league in baseball, RPI and SOS was near number 1. This was a no brainer for the committee, and I fully expect to play Auburn in Supers.

The regional is actually a sight for sore eyes and could start the momentum train. Singer, Dyson..(I know) and possibly JJ will be ready.

Go Gators

• dz_23

dz_23 Well-Known Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $142
                          Ratings:
                          +380 / -6
                          JJ will probably play 1st from what I saw this past weekend

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $11,091
                            Ratings:
                            +16,680 / -242
                            Did anyone see FSU go down? A thing of beauty:

FSU up 2-0 on Miss State....2 hour weather delay....after the delay, Martin decides to send the same pitcher back out, having thrown 109 pitches.....Miss State then hits a walk-off 3-run HR. Game over, Miss State 3 FSU 2. FSU eliminated....

• Jay26

Jay26 Senior Member
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $4,378
                              Ratings:
                              +10,100 / -290
                              Now I see why sully went with freshmen lol. These opposing pitchers are brutal

• Ocalaman

Oxbucks:
                                $927
                                Ratings:
                                +942 / -31
                                The plan is for Singer to pitch against the FAU/Jax winner and then Kowar would finish off the Regional by pitching against the survivor on Sunday. With Columbia being only 20-28 and supposedly the worst team in the 64-team field, Sully took this game for granted, no matter what he will say afterwards.

• MuddyChewers

Lifetime Member

Ratings:
                                  +9,920 / -41
                                  On a fantastic note....Miami misses the tournament for the 2nd year in a row.

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $1,651
                                    Ratings:
                                    +2,928 / -178
                                    Well as our resident baseball expert DZ so eloquently said last year, we might play better not being the #1 overall seed, and lo and behold he was spot on, as we had been to Omaha with better teams as the #1 seed and fallen flat. Well we find ourselves the #1 overall seed again, tho we seem to be limping into the tourney this year, mentally and physically. We host Columbia this Friday. #2 seed Jax plays #3 seed FAU. We have played both Jax and FAU this year so we are quite familiar with them, but we never face them during the regular season with our top starting pitchers, so I think this is a nice setup for us.

If we get thru the regional we will host the winner of the NC ST. regional, the #16 seed, which also features Auburn as the #2 seed, so technically Auburn would be considered #17, but I think most of theese teams are the same,

Hope for a good turnout and even better play. Go Gators.

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $1,651
                                      Ratings:
                                      +2,928 / -178
                                      A quick congrats to the 5 drafted in the first 10 rounds. The 3 1st rounders, JJ in the 8th round to Oakland and Liput to LA Dodgers in 10th. JJ improves by 30 rounds from last year. Surprised he went that high but well done. Good for him. If Liput stops popping up so often and hits the ball on the ground more, I can see him playing in the bigs at 2B.

Be interesting to see when Byrne goes. I love that he throws strikes, but not sure how he is viewed by the pros. Maybe as a 4th or 5th starter or possibly middle relief guy?

• g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member
                                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $5,157
                                        Ratings:
                                        +8,035 / -86

• gatordad3

gatordad3 You're stewed, buttwad!

Oxbucks:
                                          $1,451
                                          Ratings:
                                          +2,007 / -22
                                          It seemed obvious the NCAA got tired of FSU bowing out of the Super Regional to UF for the past several years by putting FSU in a position to avoid UF till the CWS just so they can attempt to gift wrap a title that Mike Martin has yet to earn. Thanks Samford and Miss St.

#197 gatordad3, Jun 5, 2018
                                          Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

• About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                          • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.