Gator Baseball Gator Baseball: #1 overall seed

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Solo HR's from India, Dalton & Girand. Singer goes 7 and gets the win. Byrne gets his 14th save of the year, 33rd of his career. Bery tight game and great win. Now FAU & JU uses up some pitchers while we have Kowar waiting for the 6 pm game Sunday.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good guys win 3-2 and you guys hit the high notes, but I have to say we were very fortunate to win this game thanx to some poor base running and coaching by JU and a play that was NOT made (fortunately) by Liput that would have tied the game. JU's pitching was outstanding with 3 solo HR's and would have been 4 but Langworthy was absolutely robbed by a fantastic play by the JU RF. He snatched that ball below the top of the wall and was able to hold on and bring it back. If you did not see it, I would watch the highlights.

Singer was very very good, but he is his own worst enemy. He hit 2 batters on an 0-2 count and on a 1-2 count. You can't hit batters in those plus counts. The first one led directly to JU's first run and would have been more had the JU runner not hesitated on a safety squeeze and an outstanding play by Singer to not only field the bunt but have the presence to tag the runner coming home. Terrific. The solo HR was given up after we took a 3-1 lead and Singer fell behind in the count and the guy golfed a ball that looked like a 1 iron off the tee and put a hole in the scoreboard.

After 7 strong innings, Sully turned to Byrne and proceeded to give up a leadoff triple in the bottom of the 8th with a 3-2 lead. Now I was always under the impression in that instance, the corner IF's are playing NO DOUBLES defense, meaning they are guarding the lines. That ball was ankle high the whole way on the 1st base line. yes it was scorched, but IMO it should have been an out or knocked down and holding the guy to a single. But JU has a guy on 3rd and no outs. The next hitter lines to Dalton in medium RF. I think he should have tagged b/c Dalton did not have momentum and that guy is JU's leadoff hitter. Well he went 4 steps and went back to 3rd. Now with one out, the next hitter pops a ball in foul territory down the LF line, not overly deep, but b/c the infield was playing in it was a longer run that normal and Liput makes an incredible sliding stab, somewhat sno cones the ball and then it falls out of his glove (fortunately). If he catches that ball it is an easy tag up at 3rd and we have a tie game. So with the infield in, batter hits slow chop to 1B and the runner does not break on contact so he is still at 3rd base. next hitter pops out to catcher and a leadoff triple goes wasted thanx to poor baserunning, a fortunate dropped pop and a great pitching job by Byrne. Byrne then gets them 1 2 3 to end the game.

Credit JU's pitching but we need to swing a better bat. I always say solo HR's don;t beat you but that was the only way we scored and I have to think that if you had told JU we would score only 3 runs against that pitcher they would have taken it. Great outing by Singer after layoff and Girnad is filling in better than expected at catcher, both defensively and with the bat!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes you have to grind out a WIN. Go Gators!!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Good guys win 3-2 and you guys hit the high notes, but I have to say we were very fortunate to win this game thanx to some poor base running and coaching by JU and a play that was NOT made (fortunately) by Liput that would have tied the game. JU's pitching was outstanding with 3 solo HR's and would have been 4 but Langworthy was absolutely robbed by a fantastic play by the JU RF. He snatched that ball below the top of the wall and was able to hold on and bring it back. If you did not see it, I would watch the highlights.

Singer was very very good, but he is his own worst enemy. He hit 2 batters on an 0-2 count and on a 1-2 count. You can't hit batters in those plus counts. The first one led directly to JU's first run and would have been more had the JU runner not hesitated on a safety squeeze and an outstanding play by Singer to not only field the bunt but have the presence to tag the runner coming home. Terrific. The solo HR was given up after we took a 3-1 lead and Singer fell behind in the count and the guy golfed a ball that looked like a 1 iron off the tee and put a hole in the scoreboard.

After 7 strong innings, Sully turned to Byrne and proceeded to give up a leadoff triple in the bottom of the 8th with a 3-2 lead. Now I was always under the impression in that instance, the corner IF's are playing NO DOUBLES defense, meaning they are guarding the lines. That ball was ankle high the whole way on the 1st base line. yes it was scorched, but IMO it should have been an out or knocked down and holding the guy to a single. But JU has a guy on 3rd and no outs. The next hitter lines to Dalton in medium RF. I think he should have tagged b/c Dalton did not have momentum and that guy is JU's leadoff hitter. Well he went 4 steps and went back to 3rd. Now with one out, the next hitter pops a ball in foul territory down the LF line, not overly deep, but b/c the infield was playing in it was a longer run that normal and Liput makes an incredible sliding stab, somewhat sno cones the ball and then it falls out of his glove (fortunately). If he catches that ball it is an easy tag up at 3rd and we have a tie game. So with the infield in, batter hits slow chop to 1B and the runner does not break on contact so he is still at 3rd base. next hitter pops out to catcher and a leadoff triple goes wasted thanx to poor baserunning, a fortunate dropped pop and a great pitching job by Byrne. Byrne then gets them 1 2 3 to end the game.

Credit JU's pitching but we need to swing a better bat. I always say solo HR's don;t beat you but that was the only way we scored and I have to think that if you had told JU we would score only 3 runs against that pitcher they would have taken it. Great outing by Singer after layoff and Girnad is filling in better than expected at catcher, both defensively and with the bat!

I always enjoy your write-ups after the game. Good stuff FF.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well I am not 100% crazy or wrong (just most of the time), as I just read a quote from last nite's game that Sully took the heat for the leadoff triple by JU in the 8th saying he should have had the corner IF's a step closer to the line. Fortunately we escaped, but it is these attention to detail moments and game management that keep me interested in sports and cause me to bang on these guys when I think they miss the obvious and simple!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well I am not 100% crazy or wrong (just most of the time), as I just read a quote from last nite's game that Sully took the heat for the leadoff triple by JU in the 8th saying he should have had the corner IF's a step closer to the line. Fortunately we escaped, but it is these attention to detail moments and game management that keep me interested in sports and cause me to bang on these guys when I think they miss the obvious and simple!
You should change your name to Hindsight.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
You should change your name to Hindsight.

Nice try but it's okay. If you read my long recap after the game and long before I read any quotes this morning, you would have seen I mentioned the poor defensive alignment and the words NO DOUBLES in all caps, but it is okay. I know most think that just b/c these coaches all make 7+ figs in all sports that they are all knowing. The fact is most of them can't manage the game for shyt!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Did anyone see FSU go down? A thing of beauty:

FSU up 2-0 on Miss State....2 hour weather delay....after the delay, Martin decides to send the same pitcher back out, having thrown 109 pitches.....Miss State then hits a walk-off 3-run HR. Game over, Miss State 3 FSU 2. FSU eliminated....

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
the next hitter pops a ball in foul territory down the LF line, not overly deep, but b/c the infield was playing in it was a longer run that normal and Liput makes an incredible sliding stab, somewhat sno cones the ball and then it falls out of his glove (fortunately). If he catches that ball it is an easy tag up at 3rd and we have a tie game.

From where I was sitting I couldn't see the end result of that play but as Indy and Deacon were tracking it down I was saying Please don't catch it! Please don't catch it! It was kind of the same play as in the girls game the night before and it would have certainly tied the game. Folks around me were complaining about Deacon not making the catch and I was Whut are you thinking?

And I don't think I've ever seen a ball at the Mac hit as far as Indy's bomb. FAA probably got involved.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
From where I was sitting I couldn't see the end result of that play but as Indy and Deacon were tracking it down I was saying Please don't catch it! Please don't catch it! It was kind of the same play as in the girls game the night before and it would have certainly tied the game. Folks around me were complaining about Deacon not making the catch and I was Whut are you thinking?

And I don't think I've ever seen a ball at the Mac hit as far as Indy's bomb. FAA probably got involved.

I was yelling the same thing and begging for the ball to drop. The only player who would have had a chance to throw out that would be runner at home would have been the LF, but Langworthy being left handed he would have had to stop his momentum after making the potential catch and turn so he could throw. That ball popping out of the glove of Liput saved us a tie game on that play.

BTW they were not thinking. They don;t see the game like you do. All they wanted was an out, which would have been the wrong thing. In fact one of those 3 players should have been yelling at the others to let it drop, had they been thinking. If they were yelling, I did not hear it from my seat.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FF should replace Sully when he retires or gets fired. I am convinced that FF would never lose a game as the coach at UF. He has all the answers...

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
FF should replace Sully when he retires or gets fired. I am convinced that FF would never lose a game as the coach at UF. He has all the answers...

I normally don;t humor you Jboss by your obvious misunderstandings, but the play we are discussing with the pop up has nothing to do with Sully. Sure he can talk about it and try and teach it, but it is the Innate ability of a player to know that when it is happening. It is okay Jboss, that you are just a scoreboard fan. It took you until near the end to realize Butters was horrendous, when many of us saw it mid year #1, but the school needs the O&B glasses wearers. Just stop putting words or thoughts into others when you have no idea where they are coming from.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It's never over til it's over but FAU leads Jax 9-0 in the 2nd inning. perhaps Jax has a hangover from letting one potentially get away from them last nite. Only hope Jax can make a stand and get into FAU's bullpen a bit.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
India said on SEC network he was yelling at Decon to not catch it. Sure looked from my viewpoint the Decon had it and dropped it on purpose. I could be wrong, regardless shouldn’t have been close.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FF misinterpreted what I said. Your opinions and teachings on the diamond are VERY well respect here. There is no doubt you would be a better coach than Sully just from learning from his mistakes.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
India said on SEC network he was yelling at Decon to not catch it. Sure looked from my viewpoint the Decon had it and dropped it on purpose. I could be wrong, regardless shouldn’t have been close.

Thanx for that DZ. Not sure Liput dropped it on purpose as it looked like he sno coned it, but if he did knowingly drop it, great play. But huge kudos and then some to Indy if he was yelling to let it drop. If so, it is even more proof that, not counting pitchers, Indy is even more far and away the best position player on the team!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
FAU up 12-0 in 5th, so FAU it will be. They even pulling their guys for later and the pitcher just in case they can force a game on Monday. Hope FAU has used up all their hits these last 2 games.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Jax has "cut" the lead to 12-4 in the 6th inning. At the very least he has kept FAU in the heat a bit longer.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Jax has now closed it t0 12-7 with 2 on and 2 outs in the 7th inning and a weather delay has been called. so those of us heading out for a 6pm game can forget that. and the opponent for the Gators is not quite etched in stone, LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb