Gator Baseball Gator Baseball: UF at LSU

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am away the rest of the week so thought I would start this early as UF travels to Baton Rouge to play LSU at the "BOX" Thursday, Friday and Saturday. THURS and FRI. games will be on SEC Network and Sat. will be on ESPN2. Gators are 6-9 in SEC play and 0-6 on the road in conference play. Outside of Mace starting on Thursday I assume the pitching will be TBD. I did hear Sully say after the Jax. game Tues. nite that Leftwich looked good in his bullpen session this week, but with all due respect, who does not look good in bullpen sessions? But perhaps he is in the mix along with the other 6 or 7 guys that will probably see action in the series. Not sure what to expect but all I know is we just can't afford to be swept again on the road.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Thunderstorms are expected in Baton Rouge Thursday evening, so we may be looking at a doubleheader either Friday or Saturday. For us it's all about the pitching. LSU has underachieved this year as well. They were pre-season #2 in the nation, but are 24-14, although 9-6 in the SEC. They lost 2 of 3 at Missouri last weekend and got beat last night by UL-Lafayette 6-5.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I think Sully is sending a message to certain players by putting them on the pine (Dalton) and altering the pitching rotation. Dalton did have a good game last night though

Lots of growing pains this year.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
The other news is that LSU just fired their AD, Joe Alleva, today. So that's a nice piece of karma.
Yet they just reinstated the basketball coach, who they have on an FBI tape offering money for a recruit. In addition, he refused to talk to LSU and NCAA investigators about the matter, which violated the terms of his contract. Class acts over there in Baton Rouge. Hope our baseball team punishes them!! :)

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Live in LA, no way this game gets played tomorrow

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Start time for tonight's UF/LSU baseball game has been moved to 9 PM to allow the storm front to pass through. Game will be on the SEC Network. Tommy Mace (6-3, 4.13 ERA) will start on the mound for the Gators. LSU has not announced their starting pitcher for tonight. Friday's game is set for 8 PM on the SEC Network, with Jack Leftwich (4-2, 4.50 ERA) facing Cole Henry (3-2, 3.45 ERA). Saturday game will be on ESPN2 at 3 PM, with Christian Scott (3-2, 4.60 ERA) facing LSU's Eric Walker (2-3, 5.79 ERA).

Update: Florida faces LSU in Baton Rouge - GatorSports.com

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
LSU starting little used pitcher Ma"Khail Hilliard tonight against Mace. Hilliard has only thrown 23.1 innings, 12 appearances, 3 starts, 3.09 ERA, 30 K's 10 walks. Maldanado must still be hurt because Jordan Butler is the DH tonight, hitting 3rd behind McConnell & Langworthy. Calilao, Acton, Dalton, Young, Fabian & Smith round out the gators' batting order.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018

6-0 start, lets go boys

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
13-0 top 5th inning. Gators trashing #14 ranked LSU on the road. Who is this team? Hopefully our pitching can hold the lead.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
15-4 going to the bottom of the 8th. Mace gave up 10 hits, 4 runs, with 9 K's and 2 walks in 7 innings. Hunter Ruth now in for UF. Brady Smith is 4-4 with 4 RBI's and a HR; Dalton is 3-5, while Langworthy, Calilao, Butler and Young have 2 hits each. Gators have 18 hits thorugh 8 innings.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Holy Geez where did that come from??? I got in last nite and checked the score and had to look twice to make sure my eyes were focusing. I know Ocala mentioned LSU had been struggling, but we have been no great shakes, so to find that kind of offense on the road is refreshing but also surprising. Hopefully it will continue. Perhaps it was all due to @dz_23 making an appearance both in the thread and at the ball park this weekend. Hope he is wearing his O&B gear.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Holy Geez where did that come from??? I got in last nite and checked the score and had to look twice to make sure my eyes were focusing. I know Ocala mentioned LSU had been struggling, but we have been no great shakes, so to find that kind of offense on the road is refreshing but also surprising. Hopefully it will continue. Perhaps it was all due to @dz_23 making an appearance both in the thread and at the ball park this weekend. Hope he is wearing his O&B gear.
Last night was UF's first SEC road win since May 12, 2018. LSU has had several guys hurt, including Zach Hess is LSU's ace, who normally would have started last night. They said if he pitches at all this weekend it'll be a few innings out of the bullpen. LSU was pre-season #2 and their record is worse than ours, we've played a tougher schedule and yet they're ranked in the Top 15 and we're not in the Top 25. Maybe just because of the difference in SEC records after last weekend. Going into last night's game the Tigers had lost 4 out of their last 5: 2 out of 3 at Missouri and midweek home games to Southern and LA-Lafayette. The thing about last night was that McConnell & Calilao continue to be consistent, Acton is really hitting it well now, Butler in place of Maldanado has had 3 good games in a row at the plate. Langworthy is hitting over .300 the last 2 weeks and Dalton & Smith are coming around. Smith got 4 solid hits last night and was good behind the plate. The 2 bullpen guys gave up 5 runs the last 2 innings, Mace gave up 10 hits in 7 innings, so the pitching wasn't that great. We had a 13-0 lead going to the bottom of the 5th and gave up 9 runs down the stretch. These veteran hitters coming around is a very good sign, but it's still going to come down to pitching. The guy they're throwing tonight is a big time freshmen who throws mid-90's with an excellent curve and change-up. I hope Leftwich is rested and healed and gives us the type of performance he's capable of. Winning this series would be huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb