Gator Baseball Gator Baseball: UF hosts Winthrop

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Oops sorry, it 's Win-throp not Win-thorpe. Oh well I just could not bring myself to go out there tonite against a nobody and watch Dyson struggle thru a 30 pitch 1st inning (including 3 walks) and multiple errors. I think Dyson has made it thru five innings at just under C-Note of pitches Anyway I think the Gators lead like 26- 7 or something like that in the 6th inning.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Dyson got through his 5 innings with around 90 pitches and 1 earned run. 2 bad errors at SS and 2b led to the other 2 runs scored by Winthrop. Gators had a 9 run 4th inning and lead 12-3 in the bottom of the 6th. Alintoff pitched a solid 6th inning and UF is starting to get their bats going with a season high 13 hits so far.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
UF wins 16-4. Good to see the bats get going. 2 HR's, including a Langworthy bomb. Bullpen was solid and Dyson got his 1st win. The struggling defense made 3 more errors and Mick Hubert commented that thi is probably our weakest defense of the Sully era. Time will tell.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Already seeing talk of Dyson losing his Friday start. He better get things cleaned up or I think the Yale start will be his last. Move him to Sunday.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Rain washes out Saturday's tilt. Doubleheader on Sunday starting at 11am. First game will be 9 innings. Second game 7 innings.

In regards to Dyson I would go ahead and move him. I would make him a mid week starter so he can continue to have that feel and use him as long relief on the weekend if necessary. he is showing no ability to be consistent and taxing your bullpen in Game 1 of an SEC series win't bode well.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Gators are struggling today against Winthrop. It is bottom of the 6th. Gators up 23-2.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This one game will give us a half run/game average on the entire season. I can't believe there's not a mercy rule.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This one game will give us a half run/game average on the entire season. I can't believe there's not a mercy rule.

And there is still another game to go.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was out there for part of the first game. They should have played two 7 inning games. Forgetting the results, defensively, especially on the infield, we are not a good team. I am extremely concerned about this once conference play starts. It starts with Matt Damon at catcher and goes all around the infield. I know Young is hitting which is great, but he makes Blake Reese look like an all star defensively at 2B and we all know how Reese threw wildly quite often last season.But Winthrop was even worse defensively. They looked like the original Bad News Bears. Really need to shore that up in a hurry. As most of us know, this is going to be a roller coaster season probably and not being good defensively will not help. 2 games coming up this week at the Mac against Gulf Coast who typically plays us tough. However weather forecast is for cold temps, so I wonder if they play them?

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I was out there for part of the first game. They should have played two 7 inning games. Forgetting the results, defensively, especially on the infield, we are not a good team. I am extremely concerned about this once conference play starts. It starts with Matt Damon at catcher and goes all around the infield. I know Young is hitting which is great, but he makes Blake Reese look like an all star defensively at 2B and we all know how Reese threw wildly quite often last season.But Winthrop was even worse defensively. They looked like the original Bad News Bears. Really need to shore that up in a hurry. As most of us know, this is going to be a roller coaster season probably and not being good defensively will not help. 2 games coming up this week at the Mac against Gulf Coast who typically plays us tough. However weather forecast is for cold temps, so I wonder if they play them?
It remains to be seen how good the team will be. Defense is, obviously a concern, as we're averaging almost 1.5 errors per game and we've never been near 1 per game under Sully. Plus there have been numerous other plays that were not called errors or passed balls but could have been. Midweek pitching is, also, a concern and until a freshman or two emerges as the guy for midweek starts we'll probably continue to struggle there. The big question for me is, "Can Dyson, Mace & Leftwich pitch at the level we're used to seeing from guys like Shore, Singer, Faedo, Kowar, etc.?" If not, then we're going to have to score more runs to compensate and I'm not sure this lineup will have the consistent pop to do that, especially when we get into the SEC. The 8 guys in the field are pretty solid at the plate except for Smith and I think it's a matter of time until Miozzi replaces him. Langworthy is shwoing signs of coming around, as are Maldanado and Dalton. The freshmen have been very good, but how will they do when the pitching quality increases? Lots of question marks, but this COULD be another very good Gator team and I have confidence in O'Sullivan that he will get the best out of them. But will it be enough to compete for an SEC title and another trip to Omaha?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
It remains to be seen how good the team will be. Defense is, obviously a concern, as we're averaging almost 1.5 errors per game and we've never been near 1 per game under Sully. Plus there have been numerous other plays that were not called errors or passed balls but could have been. Midweek pitching is, also, a concern and until a freshman or two emerges as the guy for midweek starts we'll probably continue to struggle there. The big question for me is, "Can Dyson, Mace & Leftwich pitch at the level we're used to seeing from guys like Shore, Singer, Faedo, Kowar, etc.?" If not, then we're going to have to score more runs to compensate and I'm not sure this lineup will have the consistent pop to do that, especially when we get into the SEC. The 8 guys in the field are pretty solid at the plate except for Smith and I think it's a matter of time until Miozzi replaces him. Langworthy is shwoing signs of coming around, as are Maldanado and Dalton. The freshmen have been very good, but how will they do when the pitching quality increases? Lots of question marks, but this COULD be another very good Gator team and I have confidence in O'Sullivan that he will get the best out of them. But will it be enough to compete for an SEC title and another trip to Omaha?
One thing for sure, we will be a lot mote understanding and patient as fans, questioning the head coach won't be an issue. GO GATORS!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Florida Gators FIRST team EVER in SEC HISTORY to hit 3 Grand Slams in one game. FIRST EVER! Go Gators!!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Mid week split of the 2 games with Gulf Coast. Crushed them on Tuesday and got handled easily on Wed. as the Gulf Coast starter had a perfect game for 6 innings and was excellent. Probably expected as Gulf Coast is usually decent and plays us tough. Weekend series against Yale. Should be not much of a test against the Eli's from the IVY league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.