Gator Baseball Gator Baseball: UF vs. Mizzou

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Just an FYI - The SEC baseball tournament is quirky in that the 1st round games on Tuesday are single elimination, with the top 4 seeds getting a bye and not starting play until Wednesday. After day 1, it's double elimination until the semifinals, which goes back to single elimination and the championship is 1 game next Sunday. Here's a link to the bracket. SEC Baseball Bracket
So the Gators play the 1st game on Tuesday at 10:30 AM against Texas A&M. If they lose, they're done. If they win, they play Georgia on Wednesday at 10:30 AM. Tough draw. The big question is - Do they have to win Tuesday to get in the NCAA tournament, or is their 13 regular season wins combined with a strong SOS and an RPI of around 27 good enough?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I think the team is into the tourney now regardless of the SEC tourney. Getting to that #13 in wins in SEC play was the key. Even tho we are 11th, add in SOS and RPI and the body of work is at large worthy as a 3 seed. We also took the series against scrotUM and swept the :nole::nole:, both of whom are ranked now, looks good. Granted they both have improved and were not good when we played them, especially scrotUM. And we have improved none, so yes SAS as a team we are still not good, but hoping the final series and making the tourney will be valuable building blocks.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
An idea of who will pitch on Tuesday?
This team is not built for tournament play, unlike most Sullivan teams of the past.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This team is not built for tournament play, unlike most Sullivan teams of the past.

You are correct, this team is not built for tourney play. Yes, the pitching staff is deep, but it is deep with mediocrity and below average arms, tho lots of arms, LOL. However depending on how Sully feels about the team's NCAA chances, I think will determine the starter. Remember only 5 guys pitched the entire 3 game Mizzou series. Mace, Butler, Leftwich, Pogue and Scott, with Butler pitching twice. So lots of arms that need work. But if Sully really wants to go balls out on Tuesday, I think he will start Mace coming off 4 whole days rest, but limit his pitch count b/c Crisp, Alintoff, Specht, et al have not pitched in over a week. And oh, there was a Dyson sighting in the bullpen (but I would rather not go there).

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I think the team is into the tourney now regardless of the SEC tourney. Getting to that #13 in wins in SEC play was the key. Even tho we are 11th, add in SOS and RPI and the body of work is at large worthy as a 3 seed. We also took the series against scrotUM and swept the :nole::nole:, both of whom are ranked now, looks good. Granted they both have improved and were not good when we played them, especially scrotUM. And we have improved none, so yes SAS as a team we are still not good, but hoping the final series and making the tourney will be valuable building blocks.
I hope you're right. We're up to #25 in the latest RPI rankings. I would feel more comfortable if we at least beat TAM tomorrow.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
It's Tommy Mace vs. Asa Lacy (7-4, 2.13 ERA, lefty, 76 ip, 115 K's, 38 walks, 42 hits). Tough matchup.
D1Baseball.com projects the Gators a #3 seed in the Coral Gables Regional with Miami, FAU & Florida Gulf Coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.