Gator Basketball Gator basketball offense the worst I've seen in 60 years

Gern Blanston

Banned
BANNED
Aug 27, 2018
When coach white got here he said " I can tell you were going to score a lot of points "he was a positive person that had an aggressive offensive style . Before the season last year he said "
I can see this team scoring 120 . The first 6 games gators were 5&1 averaging close to 100 with wins over Stanford and Gonzaga and lead Duke most of game . Then for some reason he abandoned that offense for a defense is all that matters half court pityful offense where they go 7 to 9 minutes without scoring . Coach white has become a very negative coach .

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you just stop posting in the middle of your OP?

Gern Blanston

Banned
BANNED
Aug 27, 2018
Always criticizing the players heart and effort . The gators have vastly improved their defense but at the same time taken the offense to one of the worst in the country . White solution is to have the " longest practices in my coaching career " " and if it hurts the offense I don't care " and it shows . The gators run out of gas late in the half and at end of games . Their body language says they are beaten down physically and emotionally .When the top teams in the country are averaging around 90 the gators are lucky to get into the 60 s it's painful to watch . What in the hell happened to the positive upbeat coach white that ran an uptempo score in transition offense ? I want him back

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
When coach white got here he said " I can tell you were going to score a lot of points "he was a positive person that had an aggressive offensive style . Before the season last year he said "
I can see this team scoring 120 . The first 6 games gators were 5&1 averaging close to 100 with wins over Stanford and Gonzaga and lead Duke most of game . Then for some reason he abandoned that offense for a defense is all that matters half court pityful offense where they go 7 to 9 minutes without scoring . Coach white has become a very negative coach .
Uh, how do you pronounce your name?

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Always criticizing the players heart and effort . The gators have vastly improved their defense but at the same time taken the offense to one of the worst in the country . White solution is to have the " longest practices in my coaching career " " and if it hurts the offense I don't care " and it shows . The gators run out of gas late in the half and at end of games . Their body language says they are beaten down physically and emotionally .When the top teams in the country are averaging around 90 the gators are lucky to get into the 60 s it's painful to watch . What in the hell happened to the positive upbeat coach white that ran an uptempo score in transition offense ? I want him back

I believe Cheese was propping all those previous stats up. This is what Mike White will get without him or an experienced play-making point. It's hard to watch.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
It's like trying to deduce the full meaning of an ancient text, based on a surviving fragment. But the part I can make out seems to confirm my own thoughts on the subject. Apparently, there has been a radical change in Coach White's offensive approach, and it has not been for the better. If he doesn't rediscover the old magic pretty soon, his seat is going to go from a little warm to red hot. One more season like this one may well be it for CMW. Time will tell.

Gern Blanston

Banned
BANNED
Aug 27, 2018
I believe Cheese was propping all those previous stats up. This is what Mike White will get without him or an experienced play-making point. It's hard to watch.
Cheeze didn't score that much and his asst to turnover ratio is about what Nemhards is . It's the style of offense and the negative attitude of the coach always blaming players when it was his choice to go away from an uptempo offense these players were recruited to play in to this pityful slow half court garbage offense

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Cheeze didn't score that much and his asst to turnover ratio is about what Nemhards is . It's the style of offense and the negative attitude of the coach always blaming players when it was his choice to go away from an uptempo offense these players were recruited to play in to this pityful slow half court garbage offense

Difference is Cheese was making it happen, hustling all the time, and leading the team. It wasn't just his own numbers that he generated, it was also those around him. He fed Allen, Hudson, Stone with more than just passes. He was the engine making the entire car go.

That said, I don't disagree with your assessment of White. My personal observation is that all upper classmen, every one of them, is playing worse this year than previous. There is a reason for that and I can't say it's all because Cheese is gone. Mike White is in their head and not in a good way. And I really dislike this slow tempo style because it doesn't seem to fit the players he recruited. 4 guards who aren't making shots and a center who doesn't like posting up and we play 4 corners?

Gern Blanston

Banned
BANNED
Aug 27, 2018
Inte
Difference is Cheese was making it happen, hustling all the time, and leading the team. It wasn't just his own numbers that he generated, it was also those around him. He fed Allen, Hudson, Stone with more than just passes. He was the engine making the entire car go.

That said, I don't disagree with your assessment of White. My personal observation is that all upper classmen, every one of them, is playing worse this year than previous. There is a reason for that and I can't say it's all because Cheese is gone. Mike White is in their head and not in a good way. And I really dislike this slow tempo style because it doesn't seem to fit the players he recruited. 4 guards who aren't making shots and a center who doesn't like posting up and we play 4 corners?
lntellegent reply ! I wish there was more of that on this board instead of the talking about a space before a ? Garbage.

Gern Blanston

Banned
BANNED
Aug 27, 2018
So... the other day @oxrageous was livid about @Concrete Helmet putting a space before the ? No, we’ve got a guy who puts a space before “ as well as before a .

This is going to be good.
Really? What a waste of everyone's time including yours worrying about the proper punctuation
So... the other day @oxrageous was livid about @Concrete Helmet putting a space before the ? No, we’ve got a guy who puts a space before “ as well as before a .

This is going to be good.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
There have been serious red flags about White’s coaching since he arrived. At the moment, I call him a white Leonard Hamilton. There’s been a few games this season he complained about the hustle and that wasn’t a problem at all. How many plays does he run for Locke or Bassett who has developed a good jumper. He could stretch the defense. I think he is being underutilized. The offense looks so disorganized I wonder if he’s even bothering with it. While Hayes gets a lot of crap, he’s worked hard to develope a little bit of a post game but I’m not sure our guys know how to throw a pass into the post.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
Our biggest problem is we have zero inside presence and touting Hayes as a center is a joke. He's not even big enough to be called a power forward. When is Gak coming back, he is awkward as heck but at least can put his arms up and get in the way on defense.
The other problem is these long runs of zero offense, going 10+ minutes without scoring. This has been a recurring theme since White's been coach. And it's due to no big guys and nobody driving and at least getting a foul. And how many times do we get to the rim and miss a layup or put back. Too many jump shooters that don't want to be touched.

I'm just disappointed it's gone down hill and not up over the last few years.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
From the outset I wasn't impressed with White's debut. It seemed that his philosophy was to go as fast as you could with no rhyme or reason. Then he regained sanity and some rhyme or reason entered the building. I partially bought in. I emphasize partially. Then back into he dumpster. Back to no rhyme or reason but at a slower pace. I don't know whether he just doesn't get it, or he's dealing with a bunch of undersized, talent deprived "bigs" who will doom any team. Guess we'll have to wait till next year to find out. Without significant improvement we can chalk this up to another favor Foley had done for us.

It's becoming frighteningly clear that Foley got lucky when he grabbed Billy. Other than Billy, when it was Foley's decision alone he picked absolutely nothing worth a crap. Greatest AD of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.