Gator Basketball Gator Basketball Postseason Discussion Thread: Gators a 10 seed

Should Mike White be fired?

• Yes

Votes: 52 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 120 69.8%

• Total voters

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Feel like this is discussed in every game thread, so I wanted to start a thread where we can bring it all together. As of right now we are projected as a 10 seed according to the Bracket Matrix (shows seeding from all major - and some smaller - publications).

IMO if we beat either LSU or UK, we are in. If we lose both, we will need to win two in the tourney. What say you?

The Bracket Project's Bracket Matrix - 2019

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
UF will still be in the 30s in the new NCAA net. The question is how much the committee will rely on this new measure.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Considering the way we play, I doubt any of it matters.
Early ending seasons are that way.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Jay26 hit it on the nail on the head, we need two more wins in some fashion to be sure, one more win and you can flip a coin. Zero more wins and NIT here we come.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
wait till next year. two seniors with the yips much of the year and three freshman playing so much its amazing we are still in the discussion. I love Hayes but he needed some help us inside most of the year. Proud of his improvement this year. If we just had a player like UGA's Claxton in there with him we are a lock for the tourney..........

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We will be in no matter what. If we lose the next 3, we are in.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We will be in no matter what. If we lose the next 3, we are in.

Sarcasm? 17-15 doesn’t give me much hope.

FWIW, Lunardi’s latest bracket has us as a 9 seed.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Win one this week and we are in. Lose both and we are probably not.
The SEC tournament won't matter much for us unless we end up beating
a couple at large teams on a neutral floor. I think we end up 18-14 and
get a 10 seed.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gregg Marshall on line 1? Scott Drew on line 2?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Sarcasm? 17-15 doesn’t give me much hope.

FWIW, Lunardi’s latest bracket has us as a 9 seed.

One thing to note is that a lot of other bubble teams have been failing to impress of late; and there's been a lack of non-Power 5 teams from smaller conferences who've made noise this year.

Most bracketologists have record numbers of Power 5 bids this year because there's a ton of 17-15 teams out there and the committee will usually go with teams from the bigger conferences because of SoS and bigger alumni bases.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
We could win one, or both, of our regular season games, but after watching this season I'm inclined to think this team doesn't have it in them. I'm expecting 0-2 to close out. SEC tourney...we might pick up a 1-3 wins at best, which might slip us into a last-in seed, and I feel that's likely.

However, I've written off our seniors for not reaching their potential (Hudson, Allen) and believe Hayes hit his ceiling, gave all he had with his heart, but won't get us anywhere. I then look at 3 freshman starting, and prefer to play an extra 2-5 games in NIT as prep for next season than go 0-1 in the NCAA tournament. That's just me - hate on me for not believing we deserve a NCAA tournament spot, or that I prefer more practice with NIT for next year's kids, but that's where I'm at. This season, and this team, do not feel like NCAA material to me. Maybe they get in based on others sucking worse, but I'm not going to be disappointed with NIT. It's what I feel is appropriate.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
wait till next year. two seniors with the yips much of the year and three freshman playing so much its amazing we are still in the discussion. I love Hayes but he needed some help us inside most of the year. Proud of his improvement this year. If we just had a player like UGA's Claxton in there with him we are a lock for the tourney..........
Guess what, we don't have a player like claxton and won't have one next year

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta get a win in the next 2 games. Tournament wins almost never punch your ticket. Unless you win the tournament. Gonna have to steal one.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Does this team deserve to make the tourney? They are most likely a first round exit anyhow.

White's seat is on fire next year.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
We could win one, or both, of our regular season games, but after watching this season I'm inclined to think this team doesn't have it in them. I'm expecting 0-2 to close out. SEC tourney...we might pick up a 1-3 wins at best, which might slip us into a last-in seed, and I feel that's likely.

However, I've written off our seniors for not reaching their potential (Hudson, Allen) and believe Hayes hit his ceiling, gave all he had with his heart, but won't get us anywhere. I then look at 3 freshman starting, and prefer to play an extra 2-5 games in NIT as prep for next season than go 0-1 in the NCAA tournament. That's just me - hate on me for not believing we deserve a NCAA tournament spot, or that I prefer more practice with NIT for next year's kids, but that's where I'm at. This season, and this team, do not feel like NCAA material to me. Maybe they get in based on others sucking worse, but I'm not going to be disappointed with NIT. It's what I feel is appropriate.
I tend to agree with you. In spite of the injuries and C. Johnson leaving this team has just not played up to its potential. Hudson & Allen were both pre-season All-SEC picks by the coaches and there is no way either makes the team. They have clearly underachieved. The freshmen have been very good and defensively they've played well most of the time. But there has been no flow or apparent plan on offense and they've collapsed down the stretch in several games they should have won. If they beat either LSU or KY (which I don't expect them to do), I think they sneak in the NCAA as a 9 or 10 seed and then lose quickly. It would, IMO, provide more and better experience for the returning players to get 3-4 more games in the NIT. Very disappointing season for me, as I was expecting much more.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If you don’t have a legit shot of winning a couple, who gives a sh*t if you make the tourney or not?

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
If you don’t have a legit shot of winning a couple, who gives a sh*t if you make the tourney or not?

For the freshmen, just getting to experience the preparation for a postseason game, and the atmosphere of a tourney game, is valuable experience for next year, when we should have potential to go further.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

It is how you build a program and tradition. And btw teams like Syracuse 2016 who did not really deserve a bid make the final four every few years.

If you are yet another football only fan who decided to chime in for no reason, it is like being in New Years 6 bowl even when you are not in the playoff games. It has cache.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online