Gator Basketball Gator Basketball Postseason Discussion Thread: Gators a 10 seed

Should Mike White be fired?

• Yes

Votes: 52 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 120 69.8%

• Total voters

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gregg Marshall on line 1? Scott Drew on line 2?

Most know how I feel about Mike, so I found it interesting that JBoss posted this. As we all know JBoss is one of the biggest homers of Gator sports and that is okay. Teams need those fans. But seeing him post this means that even the most ardent supporter can see what Mike is all about. You have very, very good road wins against LSU and Bama, so hope is there that we are on a roll. We have horrendous home losses to USCe and UGA, two horrible teams. Should have lost to Ole Piss, yet should have beaten UK. And this has nothing to do with being one game away from the final 4, or losing in the 1st round of the tourney or making the NIT, etc. Mike is the kind of coach whose teams will only reach a certain level, yet never get over the proverbial huge hump. Lots of coaches like that, but to me those are the types of coaches that frustrate the objective fans the most.

With all that said, I began thinking. When Billy left (the first time) I sent the last email I ever sent to Fooley asking him to consider Tony Bennett, who was then head coach at Wash St. Billy came back and you know the rest of the story. So now I begin to think again, outside the box. yes I mentioned Sean Payton as head football coach. I was thinking big, thought the Saints were finished and old (I was totally wrong there), and was looking for something different. Well I have thought this for a while and with Roy Williams having another bout of vertigo, I am back on the think big idea.

Okay definitely not going to happen but humor me. Who are the biggest 4 college basketball programs right now, all things considered? I think without question the answer is UNC, Duke, UK, and KU in no particular order. I would like to add UCLA but I just can't. History has faded, but they are in the next tier. So let's say any or all of those head coaching jobs opened after the season. Who would be the top candidate at each school? The answer is the exact same name for all 4. Not saying he would take it, but IMO the #1coaching target at those schools and the first person who would be called (or his agent ) is....................... Brad Stevens. Yes the head coach of the Boston Celtics!!!! Is is happy in the NBA? I don;t know. Did he have success in college? Without question! Is he a good coach? Most would say great! What a chance the Celtics took on a then barely in his 30's coach and he has done relatively well. but as it goes in the NBA, there is always disgruntlement with players, owners, GM's, etc. So maybe Stevens might consider a return to college in the future. Why not be the school to reach out.................FIRST? B/C if UNC, Duke, UK, or KU have to reach out to a candidate rest assured Brad Stevens will be their 1st call (and probably 2nd, 3rd, and 4th)!!!!!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Brad Stevens is one of the best strategists in the game. But he's failed miserably this year in the area many coaches fail at. He hasn't managed the egos on that team at all and it has imploded. I could see him leaving the NBA for a Duke or UK.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
We are now sitting on an 11 seed. Not looking great, but 11 seeds do often beat 6 seeds.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Can anybody get this to White? Think he could learn a thing or two. Better ball movement and screen than I saw all Saturday :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We're still ok with a guaranteed .500 record in one of the best leagues in the country and only one truly bad loss. Even losing to LSU and UK to end the season won't knock us out, but we'd probably have to win one in the SECT to feel better about our chances if that happened. The situation remains, win one more game and that's a wrap.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We're still ok with a guaranteed .500 record in one of the best leagues in the country and only one truly bad loss. Even losing to LSU and UK to end the season won't knock us out, but we'd probably have to win one in the SECT to feel better about our chances if that happened. The situation remains, win one more game and that's a wrap.

But will we tho

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Brad Stevens is one of the best strategists in the game. But he's failed miserably this year in the area many coaches fail at. He hasn't managed the egos on that team at all and it has imploded. I could see him leaving the NBA for a Duke or UK.
Great post. He's a great Xs and Os guy. Brilliant mind. He would kill it at Duke or UNC or UK. He'll be on some short lists soon. Billy too. Those are jobs you go for life.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
NIT, here we come. #FireMikeWhite.

Seriously though, an invitation to the dance would be decent. Shows respect. Tradition. Maybe we’ll even win a game or two.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Per The Athletic, even losing the next two doesn't take us out, which is very much a reflection on the rest of the bubble teams. Lunardi didn't even drop us from a 9 seed after the UGA loss. Jerry Palm has us as a 10. The biggest hit was to the NET ranking, which dropped 6-7 spots. We had crept into the top 30 prior to that loss.

It seems we need to win 1 of the next 3 to get in. Hopefully we seal the deal tomorrow against LSU. I'd rather be in the Tourney every year, with frequent one and dones than go to the NIT. This seems like a no brainer. More irrelevant basketball doesn't beat even one game with a chance to play for something more meaningful.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
But will we tho
Colin-Farrell-Shrug-In-Bruges.gif

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Basicially beat LSU tomorrow and we will be dancing imo. Lose the next 2 and we need to win 1 game at the SEC Tournament. Lose all 3 and we will be flipping a coin hoping for a play in game

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does this team deserve to make the tourney? They are most likely a first round exit anyhow.

White's seat is on fire next year.

Next year is a make or break for him. He has a ton of really good talent coming in and he should make a deep run with the talent he has on its way.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Per The Athletic, even losing the next two doesn't take us out, which is very much a reflection on the rest of the bubble teams. Lunardi didn't even drop us from a 9 seed after the UGA loss. Jerry Palm has us as a 10. The biggest hit was to the NET ranking, which dropped 6-7 spots. We had crept into the top 30 prior to that loss.

It seems we need to win 1 of the next 3 to get in. Hopefully we seal the deal tomorrow against LSU. I'd rather be in the Tourney every year, with frequent one and dones than go to the NIT. This seems like a no brainer. More irrelevant basketball doesn't beat even one game with a chance to play for something more meaningful.
We will be in no matter what. If we lose the next 3, we are in.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

FLORIDA

vs. No. 10 LSU, 7 p.m. -- ESPN2

The Gators' loss to Georgia at home has put a lot of pressure on these final two games. Florida sits at 17-12 with this one and a road trip to Kentucky remaining before the SEC Tournament. It's hard to see a path to an at-large bid for UF without splitting these games.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One thing to note is that a lot of other bubble teams have been failing to impress of late; and there's been a lack of non-Power 5 teams from smaller conferences who've made noise this year.

Most bracketologists have record numbers of Power 5 bids this year because there's a ton of 17-15 teams out there and the committee will usually go with teams from the bigger conferences because of SoS and bigger alumni bases.

I agree however there is one caveat and that is what happens in the mid-major conference tournaments. If the favorites all win then we will probably slip into the tournament. If a few upsets happen then we could get squeezed out.
We still own our destiny at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.