Gator Basketball Gator Basketball - Which player will we miss the most?

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and though basketball recruiting successes recentl

• Casey Prather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Will Yeguete

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've been thinking about this for quite some time and though basketball recruiting successes recently may have an effect on answers, I thought it would still be a worthy topic.

Of the Gator Mens Basketball players that were lost to graduation this past season, who will be missed the most? (Votes will be made public! :-))

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Scottie. We still have a good presence under the basket, we did fine in games that Prather didn't score a bunch, and Yeguete was just an above average role player. Scottie was the floor general and our most clutch player, Kasey Hill has some big shoes to fill.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n2285 said:
Scottie. We still have a good presence under the basket, we did fine in games that Prather didn't score a bunch, and Yeguete was just an above average role player. Scottie was the floor general and our most clutch player, Kasey Hill has some big shoes to fill.
Absolutely. Agreed. +one bazzillion

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we all agree...... so far.

Scotty got better as the season wore on, he was clutch until the final game where he kind of disappeared.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Bigfoot is spot on. I think we only go as far as Hill can take us this year. He did well for a freshman, but we need to see huge improvement from last year. If he can limit the turnovers and knock down an open look on occasion we're gonna be tough to beat. If not, then we will struggle offensively in my opinion.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well I ruined the consensus. I think we'll miss Pat's strong inside presence most. Kasey's going to be fine at PG. He got a lot of minutes this year to get him ready. We really don't have a physical guy to replace Pat in the paint.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n2294 said:
Well I ruined the consensus. I think we'll miss Pat's strong inside presence most. Kasey's going to be fine at PG. He got a lot of minutes this year to get him ready. We really don't have a physical guy to replace Pat in the paint.
I don't think there's any doubt we won't be as physical as last year's team, but we should be more athletic. Come to think of it...have we ever had a team as physically strong as last year's?

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Brewer was a toothpick. A very athletic toothpick.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is the same as asking the team MVP. Wilbekin.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Definitely Wilbekin, but Young is a close second

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I gotta go with Young. We have a guy in Hill who has the ability to be better than Scottie, but we were ata different level when Young was in the game flying around, diving on loose balls, and sinking hook shots. Plus I think Young's personality off the court was a huge bonus. Scottie is a very close second, but when the big man was feeling it we were tough.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n2301]This is the same as asking the team MVP. Wilbekin. [/QUOTE] It's a little different than that. It's also asking where we don't have as much depth.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n2301]This is the same as asking the team MVP. Wilbekin. [/QUOTE]

I disagree.

I think MVP is about who is the most valuable on the team - the best player. I think this question is where is the biggest drop-off from one year to the next. I think it could be a talent, style of play, or intangibles issue.

I'll build a couple of cases.

Wilbekin - He was clearly our floor leader, and for good or for bad, took the ball in critical situations when someone had to. He got better each year and improved during his final year. He also was a great defender. However, he had discipline issues off the court and at times took really bad shots. He can be replaced by one McDonald's All-American (Kasey Hill) or by a committee including Hill, Eli Carter, and Chris Chiozza.

Prather - Our most athletic offensive threat in years, Prather exploded into his role on the team last year leading the team in points per game and field-goal percentage (among players with more than 50 points on the season). The replacement for Prather would likely be DeVon Walker, though his slashing style might be partially replace by Chris Walker. An important piece to the team, Prather may be the most difficult to replace.

Young - Patric Young was the rock for UF's men's basketball program last year, not only from a physicality standpoint, but also from many leadership intangibles. A brute on the court, Young was a well-spoken, intelligent and kind senior leader. Though he continued to struggle at the foul line, Young slowly added consistency to his post offense throughout his career allowing him to average more than 10 points per game with the second highest field-goal percentage on the team among players with more than 50 points on the season. Young was consistently praised for his defensive abilities, including his grasp and feel for team defense - especially defending the pick and roll. His replacements will be much less experienced and, while they may be more explosive offensively, they will no doubt have a hard time filling his big shoes to defensively.

Yeguete - Will Yeguete proved to be a valuable player because of his defensive skills, scrappiness and versatility. Yeguete had a knack for trapping and seemed to be part of the emotional leadership of the team. Dorian Finney-Smith may be Yeguete's primary replacement. Finney-Smith's production and experience last season likely significantly diminish the drop-off here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Our back court will be pretty stacked next year with hill, Carter,Frazier,and Francis. Hill played very well when Scottie was suspended. I think we will miss young the most. He was our anchor defensively and he alone masked some of our weaknesses. And with him gone our biggest question mark will be our frontcourt. Walker was very under weight and looked like he has alot of work to before he could even sniff living up to the hype he came in with. And horford hasn't played starter minutes though I expect him to be very solid. Finney smith is the only truly proven player we have returning to our frontcourt. I'd say Patric will be missed the most.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Damn it why can't we like our own post lmao

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the frontcourt could actually be better next year. We lose young and yeguette, but we gain horford and murphy. Add to that the fact that walker will actually get to participate in off-season activities and I think the potential is there. The point guard position I don't think will be quite as solid. The combo of hill and either carter or chiozza probably won't match scotty and hill last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator