Gator Boosters

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What exactly do you expect him to reply with? This is a serious question.
"Have you watched a baseball or softball game lately?"

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Spurrier withdrew from the coaching search at Florida, which earlier this month fired Ron Zook, who succeeded Spurrier when he left to coach the Redskins in December 2001. Spurrier was contacted by Foley about returning to coach his alma mater, but Spurrier was unwilling to go through a long interview process that Florida President Bernard Machen wanted. When Florida officials asked for Spurrier's résumé, he essentially told Florida officials 'to go look in the school's trophy case,' a source close to Spurrier said."

An anonymous "source close to Spurrier." That's your proof?

Not to mention, it says there that Foley contacted SOS about the job. The version of the story I heard was that SOS reached out to Foley about it, and Foley told him to submit his resume. Which indeed would have been insulting, but even according to this article, that's not what happened.

It says, "Florida officials asked for Spurrier's résumé," not Foley. So if there's any truth to it at all, it's more likely to be something along the lines of my speculation before. Some underling asked for some standard paperwork that needed to be received before ANY candidate could be officially considered, and then somebody else misconstrued the story as UF asking Spurrier for his resume.

"They asked for my resume, so I told them to go look in the trophy case!" Hahaha. Classic Spurrier-type line, and he may have even told people that for laughs. But no way did Jeremy Foley ask SOS for his resume, as if Foley didn't know what SOS's accomplishments were, or was pretending to have forgotten them to be deliberately insulting. That's just nonsense.

You’re asking me to trust your “editors” over the Post’s? Yes, newspapers will from time to time avoid attributing ever single fact in a story for brevity’s sake. This was one of this times.

Google is your friend. You’re free to counter with something more substantive than your opinion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Rumor is Spurrier was halfway to Kinkos with his camera-ready resume when his flip phone rang. It was South Carolina.
Jeri? Where is that box of resume paper? The good stuff I had in undergrad?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line is that Jeremy Foley did not ask Steve Spurrier for his resume. That's ridiculous.
That's what I would think too, but Foley is the same dude who sat across from Butters and said to himself, "This is the guy!"

He's mentally ill.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Now I know why chose your av. You’re unbelievable. :lol: You freaking imbecile. Stop with the “standard paperwork” nonsense. We’re talking about one of the most decorated college coaches EVER, the man whose name has since been added to the flipping stadium.

And you’re going on and on about “standard paperwork.” Give me a break.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We've got to get to the truth of this. Does anyone know Spurrier or know someone who could flat out ask him if this story is true? He's one of the few people that would answer honestly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The middle name is spelled “O-r-r, “ not like the wooden paddle used to propel a boat, although yours could probably use one after the mess Mr. Foley created. Thank you. I hope Mr. Foley is duly impressed with my resume.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You choose to believe an anonymous "source close to Spurrier" because it's a funny, Spurrier-esque story ("Go look in the trophy case!"), and you want to believe it. That's all. Jeremy Foley did not ask Steve Spurrier for his resume. If you believe that then there's no need to reciprocate your name-calling because your idiocy is self-evident.

You’re out of gas, pal. Go argue with yourself. You certainly give the impression of enjoying listening to yourself talk.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nahh, I'll go watch football, is what I'll do. You stay here and chat with your friends.

Okay, peace. I shouldn’t have talked to you that way. Please accept my apology. I humored you by grabbing the link. I’m not sure how long you’ve been around this crowd. Eleven years for me. The Spurrier/resume subject has come up countless times. It’s been corroborated nine ways to Sundays by people more connected than you or me. You certainly haven’t offered anything to refute it.

You’re apparently looking for a quote directly attributed to Foley where he says, “As a matter of fact, yes, I did request a resume from Steve through one of my underlings. He didn’t produce one and so we decided to take a flyer on Urban. I’m relieved it worked out. It could have made me look bad.”

That may be a tough find.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought they chcked with GC to hire. Surely with all that knowledge and expertise there is no other way to do it..........
Honestly you could take a committee of random people on a message board and produce better results than our buffoon ADs.

Hell I could wander a the alleys of Jax or Orlando and hire a random drunk and do no worse.

Not that hiring the booktoothed assistant popcorn butterer was much different.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
To all of the Gator Boosters. I highly encourage you to personally email Scott Stricklin, [email protected] and let him know that you're not happy with Mullen not replacing 3rd & Grantham. I emailed him this morning and stated that we in the Gator Nation need his assistance. Replacing two DB coaches will not solve the systemic defensive issues we have witnessed under 3rd & Grantham.

I requested Scott to force Mullen to fire the entire defensive staff including 3rd & Grantham. I let him know that if these changes are not made, I plan to evaluate my season ticket renewal as well as my Gator Booster contribution.

Losing $$$$ is the only way the Athletic Department reacts to affect change.

I also requested Scott to force Mullen to fire Hevesy and Knox as they are the two weak links on the offensive side of the ball.
Did you make sure to end it with "please acknowledge receipt of this email"?!?!?!!? If not, it's Pro-Tip #3978 for getting a sure fire response! ;)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That's what I would think too, but Foley is the same dude who sat across from Butters and said to himself, "This is the guy!"

He's mentally ill.

You have to think at some point during that infamous dinner at McElwain’s house back in 2014, Foley had to think to himself, “maybe he just didn’t brush this morning...or is it possible I’m catching things just days before a semi annual dentist visit...maybe the water out here?”

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You choose to believe an anonymous "source close to Spurrier" because it's a funny, Spurrier-esque story ("Go look in the trophy case!"), and you want to believe it. That's all. Jeremy Foley did not ask Steve Spurrier for his resume. If you believe that then there's no need to reciprocate your name-calling because your idiocy is self-evident.
And yet.. you reciprocated.
The story has been around for 20 years. I wouldn't expect Foley or Spurrier to confirm it because that would serve no purpose. But I damn sure expect that they would have denied it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, c’mon, Threat. That’s so much conjecture to suggest their mutual silence is deafening.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Need to pool OXs money, rent a crop duster, and drop leaflets all over Gainesville:

"Granthams Mom is as easy as his defense"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator