Gator Country writer puts the beatdown on Muschamp and previous staff

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Alagator;n263424 said:
I hope his assertions turn out to be correct. But I also remember reading a piece before Muschamp's inaugural season stating that ex players and coaches had witnessed preseason practices and were saying this was perhaps the best assembled staff UF had ever had. We all saw how that turned out.

While I agree on the reservations, those "best staff ever" comments were largely from Doering and Matthews, both of whom just hated Meyer and were thrilled to move on from those pesky trophy things he seemed to bring us.

There were a lot of people nationally that questioned WM's inexperience, the odd fit of some of the staff, and had questions about his gameday demeanor as early as the ut game(3rd game) and whether or not that was the earmark of a head coach.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Other than rumph, Shannon and anybody who replaces dillman, I'm not impressed with anyone on the new staff. I also wanna know what big time talent Randy Shannon has brought to the table? Anyhow , this writer's a doosh bag. Where was all these article's when we needed em after the 2013 season?

Edit: I'm also glad we kept summers.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n263339 said:
Also. Where were these writers/stories when Muschamp was still the head coach? It's very convenient to bash the coaching staff when they're gone and garnish the new staff with accolades. These sites and writers need to grow some.
GC was all about muschamp and defended him to the end. Now they want to trash him? It just shows they are a shill no matter who is head coach.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Interesting article and interesting comments. Muschamp played "not to lose" football. That's it in a nutshell and that's the reason he failed at Florida.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"Unbelievable toenail fungus, you've got to be kidding me ! " I'm referring to the posted accusations that our GC was so
"on-board" with Muschamp hires. I've got a very fallible memory, but it seems to me that that was the GSMB which seems
to have been dissolved when the (future GC guys') complaints-posters got so fierce & numerous against Muschamp &
crew and Foley that GSMB refuse to host such blasphemy …. then Ox launched GC and "freedom to lambast" loser
coaches guys filled up GC. Those "call-it- like-it-is posters built GC. ??

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Theologator;n263316 said:
Wallowing in Muschamp grief doesn't help anything and, ironically, sucks one into Muschamp-esque anger.
Yet there is a contingent on this board.......................

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Theologator;n263316 said:
Durkin excelled at special teams and did a good job with the LBs and defense overall.
Durkin was a better DC than what we have now, but pretty much every special team failure I recall occurred under Durkin's watch. I don't even want to talk about Durkin vs. Mad Hatter.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree on the reservations, those "best staff ever" comments were largely from Doering and Matthews, both of whom just hated Meyer and were thrilled to move on from those pesky trophy things he seemed to bring us.
JFC!!!! You'd talk shyt about GATOR greats who won trophies every year they were on the field?You're over the top on this

Doering and Matthews didn't break the program then laugh about it while trying to steal our recruits. Your favorite carpetbagger with indigestion did.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
We all know Will didn't get the job done but I stopped reading when I scrolled down and saw he had Collins over Durkin and Callahan over T Rob. I mean seriously?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n263659 said:
We all know Will didn't get the job done but I stopped reading when I scrolled down and saw he had Collins over Durkin and Callahan over T Rob. I mean seriously?

That guy is probably one of the best X and O analysts we have. I don't think it's even close. I can't think of anyone else who is more than cheerleader who can barely recognize whehter our offense or defense is on the field.

That being said, "PD" is the biggest pumper on the planet. He puts Coach9 to shame. He pumped Mustake until the very last game.

Much of that article is laughable.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Personally quit Muschamp when he hired Cheeseburger Charlie.
And I never get tired of reading about the flaming pile of dog crap that is Will Muschamp.

PD is a pumper. But sometimes when you're down you need someone to blow sunshine up your skirt. I know reading him has talked me off the ledge more than once.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Law98gator;n263674 said:
That guy is probably one of the best X and O analysts we have. I don't think it's even close. I can't think of anyone else who is more than cheerleader who can barely recognize whehter our offense or defense is on the field.

That being said, "PD" is the biggest pumper on the planet. He puts Coach9 to shame. He pumped Mustake until the very last game.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post. He used his knowledge to basically skew everything to the new staff. I mean if Durkin was so "in over his head" as he called it, how the hell did he convince Jim Harbaugh to hire him as DC? He also tried to poo poo Brian White when if I recall the last two feature backs got drafted under White. He also failed to mention that by all accounts Mac tried like hell to convince T Rob to stay. Gotta be a reason for that I would think.

The last staff was not perfect by any means but it's quite convenient to pile on now after the fact and marvel over the shiny new toys in the toy chest.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
601Gator;n263699 said:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post. He used his knowledge to basically skew everything to the new staff. I mean if Durkin was so "in over his head" as he called it, how the hell did he convince Jim Harbaugh to hire him as DC? He also tried to poo poo Brian White when if I recall the last two feature backs got drafted under White. He also failed to mention that by all accounts Mac tried like hell to convince T Rob to stay. Gotta be a reason for that I would think.

The last staff was not perfect by any means but it's quite convenient to pile on now after the fact and marvel over the shiny new toys in the toy chest.

Meyer felt that Durkin was a LB/STs coach. No offense but I'll easily take that over Harbaugh's opinion on the matter. Great recruiter, even nationally recognized at times. But simply wasn't a great coach at the DC level.

Robinson was no different. Name one player that truly improved through his tutelage? The great ones like VH3 didn't need coaching. He was a beast from day 1. Guys like Roberson, Watkins, Gorman etc never made a noticeable jump through their careers. It's not a knock on him per se. But he was a great recruiter, not a great coach. As I posted above, Bedford was a great DB coach. He took a HS QB and made him a top corner in 2 years. Meanwhile Roberson was still making the same fundamental mistakes in his last year here that he made seemingly 100 times against the vols in his 3rd game.

Ftr, I have no idea about Callahan. So I'm not ready to say he's better. But the idea the TR was great is misplaced.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
soflagator;n263815 said:
Meyer felt that Durkin was a LB/STs coach. No offense but I'll easily take that over Harbaugh's opinion on the matter. Great recruiter, even nationally recognized at times. But simply wasn't a great coach at the DC level.

Robinson was no different. Name one player that truly improved through his tutelage? The great ones like VH3 didn't need coaching. He was a beast from day 1. Guys like Roberson, Watkins, Gorman etc never made a noticeable jump through their careers. It's not a knock on him per se. But he was a great recruiter, not a great coach. As I posted above, Bedford was a great DB coach. He took a HS QB and made him a top corner in 2 years. Meanwhile Roberson was still making the same fundamental mistakes in his last year here that he made seemingly 100 times against the vols in his 3rd game.

Ftr, I have no idea about Callahan. So I'm not ready to say he's better. But the idea the TR was great is misplaced.

I agree with pretty much everything you just said especially the part about T Rob but my point was mainly that we don't know yet. How can you just throw out there that a guy that sent his main two feature backs to the pros is worse than the guy who hasn't coached a full fall camp on campus yet just because he's coached on both sides of the ball?

Also, Meyer hired Teryl Austin who is now a DC in the NFL so I think you're being a tad unfair to Durkin in that regard.

All I'm saying is the post just felt like a time to bash the old staff and it's actually tiresome. It's ok to give credit to the new staff for the job they've done so far without taking shots at the old ones.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n263815 said:
Ftr, I have no idea about Callahan.
Callahan is easily the most perplexing hire we made. That WR coach hire was a downright embarrassment. Yup stole FIU's RB coach... to coach our receivers. Oh well. At least they were dirt cheap. We must have been out of budget by then.

Trob and Durkin both won national recruiter of the year awards. I was not sold on them as coaches either but they clearly are at least well above average as recruiters.

We'll see if any of our current staff earn such honors. I'm fairly confident that neither Callahan nor Dixon will nor do I expect them to be around for long.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In all honesty the WR Coaching position has been somewhat problematic for the last four years. Mac may have stole (LOL) Callahan from FIU but at least he's got a guy from day one and no issues. We'll see how he coaches but from a stability standpoint, mission accomplished.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Law98gator;n263609 said:
Durkin was a better DC than what we have now, but pretty much every special team failure I recall occurred under Durkin's watch. I don't even want to talk about Durkin vs. Mad Hatter.

Then we won't talk about that game where our punter missed the only FG attempted.

But special teams were excellent under Durkin. Statistically #1 in 2012 and #3 in 2011. In 2010 UF was #65 but that was the year Sturgis was injured in the weight room (thank you Coach Mariotti) and clearly missed vs. LSU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.