Gator County Thoughts of the Week

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting article http://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/thoughts-week-june-7-june-13/

Of the four, Grier has the best arm, Harris has the best speed, Sheriron has the best accuracy, and Driskel has the best vision, although that is not always clear during games

Strange point. I'd say Driskel has the best arm (if he means arm strength) and Grier has far superior vision. In fact, Driskel's vision and awareness is among the worst I've ever seen at this level. I haven't seen enough of Sheriron to comment. I'll be quite happy if he is more accurate than Grier.

Skyler looked greatly improved in the Spring Game. He was called very accurate by the last staff and Roper says he likes the most accurate QB he can find. I won't be surprised to see substantial minutes from Skyler when Driskell melts down or gets hurt.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Joy. Our first thread that law creates to bitch about Driskel.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, all we've really seen is JD so I don't know how anyone other than the coaching staff can make those determinations. I take ZERO stock into what happens in spring games. At least we have a couple of young guys that we're excited about and a coach that actually believes in the forward pass. That's more than we've been able to say in a few years.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's doubtful Morningwhig sees another meaningful snap for the gators.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about arm strength but Grier has a much better arm than Driskel if your talking about throwing mechanics his release is lightning fast and he consistently throws with the same motion on every pass.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n1496 said:
Joy. Our first thread that law creates to bitch about Driskel.

Like Sunrise, you know it's going to happen.... :sadnanner:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
re Morninwood never getting another meaningful snap. I would have thought that also after last year and their obvious lack of confidence in him. However, I think we have already seen Grier getting no practice time even. When he is on the field he gets to throw to a bunch of guys wearing number 30 and 31 who are listed as WR/RB/S. This is basically the same treatment that Taylor got last year. No chance to compete for the position because the depth chart was pre-ordained. I fully expect to see Treon getting the Taylor/Grier treatment also.

And Skyler did look better. No worse than Driskel, for sure. There is no reason to think when they say that Skyler is 2nd on the depth chart that they don't mean it. Sorry for all of you who think Treon and Grier will get a chance to play.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Being that Grier already said he wanted to redshirt this year, I wasn't expecting to see him play in 2014.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He didnt really specify, so maybe he was talking about vision in the read option and run game. You cant deny that he is usually uncanny in the read option. In the passing game, we will have to wait and see. We haven't seen Driskel throw a meaningful pass in forever so maybe his anticipation in the pass game has improved.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
re Morninwood never getting another meaningful snap. I would have thought that also after last year and their obvious lack of confidence in him. However, I think we have already seen Grier getting no practice time even. When he is on the field he gets to throw to a bunch of guys wearing number 30 and 31 who are listed as WR/RB/S. This is basically the same treatment that Taylor got last year. No chance to compete for the position because the depth chart was pre-ordained. I fully expect to see Treon getting the Taylor/Grier treatment also.

And Skyler did look better. No worse than Driskel, for sure. There is no reason to think when they say that Skyler is 2nd on the depth chart that they don't mean it. Sorry for all of you who think Treon and Grier will get a chance to play.
You gotta believe that WM will be playing whoever he thinks gives him the best chance to win...out of desperation, if for no other reason.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Skyler definitely looked improved. It's really a shame that driskel didn't. You have to wonder whether it's from a lack of effort or if he is just really a slow learner.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Honestly, all we've really seen is JD so I don't know how anyone other than the coaching staff can make those determinations. I take ZERO stock into what happens in spring games. At least we have a couple of young guys that we're excited about and a coach that actually believes in the forward pass. That's more than we've been able to say in a few years.
You assumed that I thought he should be a pre-season Heisman candidate?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Grier has more football moxie in his pinkie than JD has in his entire body. He will also be 20 at his next birthday. Grier's dad played QB at Richmond and East Carolina and has coached his son all his life. They hand-picked Davidson Day out of many Charlotte area schools for the express purpose of helping his development with the dad as head coach. Grier is over 190 lbs. now and there is absolutely no reason to redshirt him if he is the best option for the coaches to keep their jobs.
If JD can get it done, fine. I just don't see much improvement in his passing skills. Repeatedly throwing the ball 15-20 yards down field and 5 yards out of bounds on 3rd down in the SPRING game does not inspire confidence.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Being that Grier already said he wanted to redshirt this year, I wasn't expecting to see him play in 2014.
You are one of the few who actually seem to remember him saying that. Kudos! I cringe every time I read someone's comments about how Grier is going to play a bunch. Unless Roper has no other options I expect Grier to redshirt as well.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator said:
Of course I did. We all know you're a JD nutswinger.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n1599 said:
Grier has more football moxie in his pinkie than JD has in his entire body. He will also be 20 at his next birthday. Grier's dad played QB at Richmond and East Carolina and has coached his son all his life. They hand-picked Davidson Day out of many Charlotte area schools for the express purpose of helping his development with the dad as head coach. Grier is over 190 lbs. now and there is absolutely no reason to redshirt him if he is the best option for the coaches to keep their jobs.
If JD can get it done, fine. I just don't see much improvement in his passing skills. Repeatedly throwing the ball 15-20 yards down field and 5 yards out of bounds on 3rd down in the SPRING game does not inspire confidence.

:gaah:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n1599 said:

There's a clip of Roper being interviewed by Finebaum, and he said Grier was over 200lbs now, so that's promising if he is needed.

I don't see Grier playing unless injuries or ineptness pile up. Treon should be talented enough to run a small package of plays to give Driskel a rest, and hopefully some sideline coaching. Hopefully Morningwood has progressed enough to carry the team for a couple games if Driskel goes down....again.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Morningwood plays, we will be having a new staff in 2015. High ankle sprains are usually 4-5 weeks.:facepalm:

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We definitely got talent at QB, but can it be developed? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.