Gator Football Trending Young for 2020 & 2021

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Even the sycofants are beginning to prepare you for how bad iti going to be, afrer telling you."we will probably be a better team but may have more losses this year."

Youd prefer?

0cea5417-e0f8-405c-f3f1-08216346cbe7.png
I believe we should be like the Marines, "Adapt and Improvise". Certainly what SOS did!

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am just not ready to throw in the towel without any games being played in 2019 and 2020 yet. Maybe you have the sports almanac from Back to the Future and already know that we are destined for 6 win seasons under Mullen after our upperclassman leave. I saw that Mullen was able to develop a 4 win garbage pos team and turn them into a 10 win team. 10 wins certainly isn't where we want to be but its a top 10 finish and certainly better than 4 wins I am assuming and we destroyed FSU too. Its only been one season so we will see how it goes. I am cautiously optimistic as I always have been in everything so lets see how it all plays out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Serious question, if kids leave do you still have a top ten class? Not sure why you are having so much trouble with this one.

Again, who said to "give up already"? What's with the drama queen attitude?

This class would be the 16th or 17th composite class if they redid the rankings based on who actually made it to the start of the season. I don't think anyone else near us lost more than 2 recruits.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe we should be like the Marines, "Adapt and Improvise". Certainly what SOS did!
Dude, SOS had top three teams ALL THE TIME. This bullshyt that SOS couldnt recruit is total revisionism or the crap that Fooley tried to feed the mushrooms to pimp Zook.

When his classes were ranked lower, it was when we were full and had few schollies. He didnt kiss ass, no doubt. Frankly he didnt have to. Kids flocked to the team that blew out other top 10 teams regularly.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We aren't doomed but we do have a recruiting problem that must be fixed or we wont be playing for championships anytime soon.

Correct. And even if it does get fixed, which it hopefully will, the premise of the article is still very much accurate. As Dude points out, year 3 is almost always a setback year, largely because it's the year that you have to start really relying on kids in either the last class of the previous staff, the transition class, or a combination of both. And rarely are those the players you want all over the field. In this case, that would be McElwain's 2017 class and Mullen's 2018. Neither were huge classes, and I can think of close to 10 names off the top of my head who aren't even here anymore. So we'll be playing a ton of Fr and Sophs in 2019 and probably 2020 as well. And as 2007 showed, even elite talent will take its lumps if relied on collectively that early.

That's the point of the article. It's not a shot at Mullen. He could be doing lights out in recruiting(again see Meyer '07) and we'll still be staring at some youth issues those years. But we need to do a better job of stopping that bleeding as much as possible.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The 2007 starters were incredibly talented.

2020 starters will have maybe two players,at most, that would play on that team. If Hendo and Wilson leave early, as expected, the number is zero.

The rosters arent even close to being comparable. The 2006 class was one of the best ever.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

If you have zero attrition and redshirt every frosh then you can sign 17 players in each class and your roster will be 17 FR, 17 RFR, 17 Soph, 17 JR and 17 SR = 85. Under this model 51/85 or 60% of your roster will be FR or Soph. This is an artifact to calling two of your potential 5 classes FR.

Now the 17 model is not realistic but illustrative. More realistic is a mature program without coaching changes every 3 years and such programs sign about 21 in each class, lose two players per year from each class and has the following shape: 21 FR, 19 RFR, 17 Soph, 15 JR, 13 SR = 18. In this case 57/85 = 67% of your roster will be FR and Soph.

Now redshirting is not as common as in the past, though even if a player does not redshirt true FR they might have a medical redshirt later in their career. There are also transfers particularly graduate transfers in these days so the whole idea of talking about what the roster will look like in fall 2000 is speculative, but heck I will play.

Right now UF's shape is 14 SR, 19 JR, 15 Soph, 9 RFR, 21 FR = 78 and of course 45/78 = about 58% FR and Soph. So less say all 14 SR do not come back, half the frosh redshirt and two of the players from the other classes leave and UF signs 25 recruits. That would make UF's shape 17 SRs, 13 JRs, 16 Soph, 9 RFR, and 25 FR = 80 and 50/80 or 62.5% of the roster would be Soph or FR. That is not unusual as can be seen by the examples above. Then if UF adds say a soph transfer, a junior transfer and two graduate transfers UF would have 19 SRs, 14 JRs, 17 Soph, 9 RFR, 25 FR = 84 and 51/84 = 61% of the roster are Soph and FR. As compared to the two examples above, you can see UF will not be unusually young in 2020.

BTW, I long ago decided that this trick of calling 3 of 5 classes FR and Soph is a trick to help bad coaches keep their job. Bad coaches have a built in, "we are so young," excuse. The media are all in on this because their jobs are easier if they do not have to learn new coaches and build up sources in a new program. So bad coaches and the media always use the "we are so young" excuse and good coach are happy to keep winning while others make excuses.

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Dude, SOS had top three teams ALL THE TIME. This bullshyt that SOS couldnt recruit is total revisionism or the crap that Fooley tried to feed the mushrooms to pimp Zook.

When his classes were ranked lower, it was when we were full and had few schollies. He didnt kiss ass, no doubt. Frankly he didnt have to. Kids flocked to the team that blew out other top 10 teams regularly.
I didn't say he couldn't recruit. In game situations, evaluating talent on hand and using them correctly he adapted and improvised as well as any coach in history.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I know that the coaches need to seriously re-evaluate the 2020 class to make sure we don't have 4 borderline academic problems like in 2019 and that our #1 & #11 early enrolees don't bail on you. Those many defections can't happen anymore.

Are you kidding? Do you think every class does not have at least 4 borderline academic cases? I promise you the astrologers would be very unhappy with a class that met your criteria.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This class would be the 16th or 17th composite class if they redid the rankings based on who actually made it to the start of the season. I don't think anyone else near us lost more than 2 recruits.
You might have time but I dont to go to every team and see which team had players not qualify, my guess is its 2-3 for everyone. This year is an outlier due to Steele and Jones......everything else as it sits today is normal

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I kinda think the biggest determination to how we do is how our DL/LB/OL and EJ/AR pans out. Really looks like we are going to be hurting on the DL/LB ... so we gonna have a bump in the road. I'll say this, I'm fine with a bump in the road as long as we continue to trend up. This 2020 class went from important to pretty much very important. I still think CDM is the right guy for us and he was the best option for us when we searched. If he puts together another solid season trending up and has a great 2020 recruiting class (that remains that way through summer) then I can handle a rough 2020 season. He really needs to beat UGA this or next year though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You might have time but I dont to go to every team and see which team had players not qualify, my guess is its 2-3 for everyone. This year is an outlier due to Steele and Jones......everything else as it sits today is normal
We probably havent had 3 in a decade.

You people are nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator