Gator Great passes away

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The Sun's Whitley wrote about the passing of Fred Pancoast. The architect of the great 69 team, Super Sophs, with Reaves to Alvarez.
He spoke to Alvarez who related some stories about Fred. I asked Carlos on FB to give us another personal story, This is what he said:

Carlos Alvarez
Here is another very personal story. Our last game of the season in 1969 was in the Orange Bowl against Miami at night. The Orange Bowl sold out because a lot of Cubans had heard about this other Cuban that had become an All-American playing for Florida and many of them had not even seen a football game in person. Towards the end of a hard-fought game we felt we had the game won and only needed to run the ball but Pancoast sent in a play and a formation that isolated me with their strong safety and Miami would be unable to double cover me. I went deep and John found me in the end zone with a perfect pass. I had already caught 14 passes that game so there was no need to do that. But Coach Pancoast knew my whole extended family was there and so were a lot of Cubans and I know he called that play for me and all my Cuban family and friends. We never talked about it but I know that is what he did. That marine sergeant had a heart of gold and all his players knew it. By the way, that game ball I caught had over 10 SEC and Florida season and game records for passing and receiving. What a night!

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I thought Fred had already passed. Met him when I was a freshman and he was the real deal. A World War II hero Marine. Semper Fi. Vaya con Dios. Go rest high on that mountain. Thanks for sharing Coach.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach Pancoast was a mainstay in the “Ray Graves Sports Camp” I was fortunate enough to attend a few years as a kid.
He was always very humble and very friendly while demonstrating patience with a bunch of enthusiastic kids that were full of themselves.

I believe that he is the last member of that coaching staff to pass but I hope I am wrong.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Frank Saier. I remember he was a great high jumper for UF. AA I think this tells his story. The Gville Sun kept up with his exploits and of course I read it religiously......Their sports coverage was fantastic in the 60s
Upon graduating from high school he attended Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina on a basketball scholarship. He also was on the track team at Furman and it was there that he met track coach, Jimmy Carnes, who became his coach, his mentor and a lifelong friend. Coach Carnes moved to Gainesville, Florida while Frank was at Furman and became the coach for the University of Florida track team. Not long after, he offered Frank a track scholarship to come to the University of Florida and Frank accepted. Frank’s event on the track team was the high-jump and in 1968 he became the first high-jumper in the Southeastern Conference to clear 7 feet. In recognition of this accomplishment he was inducted into The Track and Field Hall of Fame of Florida in 1984.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.