Gator Players Share Their At-Home Workout Plan

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by BMF, Mar 31, 2020.

1. BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $20,806
    Ratings:
    +28,468 / -431
    Future Gators Share Their At-Home Workout Plan

Future Gators Share Their At-Home Workout Plan

The Florida Gators and the entirety of the NCAA and sporting world are working out a bit unconventionally right now.

While stay-at-home orders are in effect across the country and facilities are shut down, college football teams are finding unique ways to continue exercising and preparing for an upcoming season from home.

The Gators, notably, are being led by strength and conditioning coach Nick Savage digitally. He can't oversee the workouts themselves, so Savage has created tutorials for the team and posted videos on a private YouTube account. In return, in lieu of weights, players are using family members, pets and household objects in order to lift.

But for the veterans across the roster, they have been through the spring program before. They're accustomed to what Savage is looking for in a workout and in terms of progress. Obviously, no one can be expected to 100% match a workout at Florida's training facilities when they're using a hose and flower pots as a barbell replacement, but Savage still has high expectations.

"Everything that they would be expected to do on campus, for the most part physically speaking, I’m expecting them to do to some shape or form at their house, in their backyard, wherever they’re at away from everyone," Savage said on Friday.

"The stuff we sent them home with was basically a generic workout if you have no equipment. Based on what you have, how big your house was or how big your yard was we could tweak it along the way.”

The issue is, what about the players who haven't been up to this point in Savage's training program? Whether it be transfers, early enrollees, or 2020 signees that have yet to enroll, some will require more instruction than others.

Obviously, in these times, that can get a bit challenging. Though, Savage is confident in that group.

“We got a really good class. Our early enrollee guys I think have done a phenomenal job since the day they stepped on campus," said Savage.

"The guys that aren’t on campus, obviously, we want to try to treat and handle the same way because they’re in the same boat as every other student-athlete - gyms are closed, they don’t have this, they don’t have that. I still believe you should be able to provide them something, so I’ve asked the questions that need to be answered and that’ll be down the road, future stuff. But basically, what else can we do to exhaust our resources to make sure our Gators now, future Gators are ready to go when they get back on campus are in the best position to succeed.”

So, what are those young, future Gators doing to keep themselves in shape and ready for football? AllGators spoke with several of Florida's 2020 signees regarding their workout plans, as well as a couple of 2021 commits.

"These are weird times right now," 2020 tight end signee Jonathan Odom told AllGators.

"I'm doing anything to train, working out in my garage, going to local fields and running tons of routes. Doing tons of pushups and sit-ups since I don't have weights and all gyms are closed. Just trying to stay busy and stay in shape."

Odom comes from a football family, which perhaps can serve as an advantage in lieu of weights. His father, Jason, was an All-American offensive lineman at the University of Florida from 1992-95.

Meanwhile, offensive tackle signee Gerald Mincey is perfecting his craft as an offensive lineman while also conditioning.

"[I'm doing] more fieldwork than ever and conditioning," Mincey told AllGators. "Pass pro, making sure I fix a few things before I get up there and compete for a spot."

Mincey is one of four offensive linemen the Gators signed in the 2020 haul, as the team looks to fortify its depth and long-term across the unit. He is the only lineman of the four to not yet enroll in the school and work out with the team up until this point, so this work at home is crucial.

An imposing lineman at 6-5, 320 lbs., Mincey has the physical tools necessary to be a successful lineman in the SEC, but wants to perfect his technique in order to become more complete.

"Quick feet coming out of my stance, making sure my hips are forward, driving off my post and not reaching out," Mincey mentioned of his work in pass protection.

Defensive end Princely Umanmielen is also hard at work, as he committed to and signed with Florida on National Signing Day in February, preventing him from enrolling early.

"Mostly my upper body," Umanmielen said of his workout focus. "I'm gonna try focusing on speed a little more."

Looking at 2021 commits, who obviously wouldn't get the same workout programs that those who have signed received, tight end Nick Elksnis and linebacker Chief Borders are still finding ways to prepare for football - whether it be for a senior season if high school, or when they step on campus at UF.

Elksnis had been going to the gym daily before they began to close. He still meets with a trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Without a gym to attend, Borders has taken an intense workout into his own hands.

"I am doing a workout that my trainer is putting me through that consists of 250 push-ups, 500 crunches, and a mile run and more every day," Borders said. "And on top of that, my weekly workout of chest, arms, shoulders, and back. But I am not leaving the house anymore until things clear up."

While the conditions are far from ideal, the next faces of Florida football remain driven to be the best they can be, while the world waits on sports to return to normal.

2. BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $20,806
    Ratings:
    +28,468 / -431
    Mincey looks good for a true freshman.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $20,806
      Ratings:
      +28,468 / -431
      Helm needs to add some weight!

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $20,806
        Ratings:
        +28,468 / -431
        Burney:

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $20,806
          Ratings:
          +28,468 / -431
          Looks like Braun's able to use the gym at his HS (since his dad is a coach?):

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $20,806
            Ratings:
            +28,468 / -431
            Heggie:

• Oklahoma Gator

Oklahoma Gator Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $964
              Ratings:
              +1,951 / -52
              Day 1 starter at RG

• JDW

JDW Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $7,098
              Ratings:
              +8,876 / -451
              Anyone notice Brett Heggie still has Mac in his header picture? Gotta be a loss of about a million cool points

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $10,452
                Ratings:
                +11,522 / -801
                Heggie would be deading with rusty weights and classic rock blaring! Hope he can stay healthy and be a beast.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $10,452
                  Ratings:
                  +11,522 / -801
                  Really, really impressive hip mobility for a guy that big. More important than many think for him to be able to play in space.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $10,452
                    Ratings:
                    +11,522 / -801
                    I'm as high on Braun as anybody, but we might be legit inside without him. Heggie is very solid if healthy. White got rave reviews as a freshman. Gouraige brings OT athleticism if he stays at guard. Who plays center and if Gouraige moves to OT could really change that though. Plus, I think I read that Braun wanted to RS and was kind of planning on it? the good thing is that if Braun doesn't start, it's likely bc of a pleasant surprise from other guys and not bad news on him (vs a situation like if Lingard gets a waiver and isn't #2 after 2 days of practice).

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $20,806
                    Ratings:
                    +28,468 / -431
                    1980's Journey is 'classic rock'???

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $20,806
                      Ratings:
                      +28,468 / -431
                      The speculation is Gourage moves outside, Heggie & White at OG, Kingsley E (I can't spell his last name) at Center, and Forsythe at the other OT. Delance would be the top backup likely, w/ Tarquin & Braun in the mix as the #7 & 8 guys. What a bust TJ Moore has been, btw.

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix I use to be annoyed, now I'm just amused
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $10,931
                      Ratings:
                      +19,420 / -800
                      So we are going from the Savage plan back to the Mike Kent plan?

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $20,806
                      Ratings:
                      +28,468 / -431
                      When they start posting videos of jazzercise then we know we're in trouble!

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $20,806
                        Ratings:
                        +28,468 / -431
                        Here's Princely working out in Texas:

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $20,806
                          Ratings:
                          +28,468 / -431
                          True freshman OG Richie Leonard - pretty impressive for a big, big kid!

• CU-UF

CU-UF Where-ever law ends, tyranny begins
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $667
                            Ratings:
                            +1,119 / -212
                            Good stuff. I wish that they would post one or two for the rest of us to try.

• Fishon

Fishon Senior Member
                            BANNED

Oxbucks:
                            $724
                            Ratings:
                            +1,328 / -73
                            good point. Journey is old-timey music now

• Jay26

Jay26 Senior Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $6,163
                            Ratings:
                            +12,292 / -355
                            Heard on a Stadium and Gale episode that he played shortstop in high school lol