Gator Softball: WCWS in OKC

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
We're playing with house money at this point. 12-12, 6th place in the SEC, then go on a run to win the conference tournament, stay hot to easily win our Regional, then squeak bye Tennessee in the Supers. The ladies should be loose with nothing to lose. If Barnhill stays hot, it will be interesting to see if we can win a couple of games.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
My thoughts exactly.

We have to be considered the underdog of the tourney. I like this team with that position.

Good time to have momentum.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Holly Rowe (@sportsiren) tweeted at 2:27 PM on Wed, May 29, 2019:
Kelly Barnhill made a promise to her team after a tough loss. She explains what it was and how she has delivered. ⁦@GatorsSB⁩ #tebowesque #winner #wcws ⁦@7InningsPodcast⁩ Holly Rowe on Twitter
()

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kelly Barnhill made a promise to her team after a tough loss. She explains what it was and how she has delivered. ⁦@GatorsSB⁩ #tebowesque #winner #wcws ⁦@7InningsPodcast⁩ Holly Rowe on Twitter
()

She made a promise... after a loss... and she looks like she could be Timmy’s sister...

Coincidence??? I think not!

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see they no longer have the strike zone box on the screen. They probably did away with it so no one can see how bad the umpiring is in softball.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I see they no longer have the strike zone box on the screen. They probably did away with it so no one can see how bad the umpiring is in softball.

I agree, it is amazing how much the zone changed from day to day this past weekend. Absolutely ridiculous.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
()

The road to the WCWS championship will be much more difficult than what the '08 football team faced.
I hope I am wrong but I don't think that winning it all is very realistic. Kelli has already delivered on it.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I agree, it is amazing how much the zone changed from day to day this past weekend. Absolutely ridiculous.
Umpiring is such a critical part of D1 softball. The person behind the plate sometimes gives the corners, especially on curve balls, to the pitcher; they sometimes give low strikes to drop ball pitchers; they sometimes call belt high rise balls strikes; they sometimes call batters out who step out of the box on contact. And most importantly for us, some umpires are sticklers to the illegal pitch, others don't worry about it. Way too subjective and it definitely affects how some games turn out.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pathetic! We got beat by an inferior team!
We haven’t hit all year didn’t expect that to change now especially since every team left has good pitching. In past years we would have scored more than 1 damn run against probably the second worst team at the series besides Minnesota.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
. Wife was watching it, Even though she watches through her O&B glasses, she said the ump wasn't calling the same for both teams
Also said Amanda had to ask where the strike zone was. That's pathetic.
Then again someone totally blew the scouting report on the Snow girl

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
1st game vs OkieSt tonight at 7pm on ESPN2

Interesting read.

Lots of familiarity among these teams.

WCWS Primer: Familiar Places, Faces in OKC - Florida Gators
Yeah, I watched that game. I can't think of a worst "small ball" coach than Walton. Bottom of the 7th, 0 outs, man on first and 2nd, and he leaves that worthless Caraway in to slap instead of bunting them over. But of course, none of them can bunt. That loss is on Walton. But, maybe Puk wasn't fresh. Oh, I'm sorry, that was Sully.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Walton should apologize to the team for pitching to Show in the 6th. Totally ignorant and unnecessary.

Great performance by Barnhill. TWO pitches out of 100+ lost the game. Their team was 0-20 against her, except for Show.

We were who we've been all year - poor hitting team.

Last edited:

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Just watched the heavily edited post game press conference.

Q: Why didn't Carraway bunt?

A: "Jade can't bunt."

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched the heavily edited post game press conference.

Q: Why didn't Carraway bunt?

A: "Jade can't bunt."
She didn’t even need to bunt. All she had to do was pull a ground ball to the right side of the infield and the runner would have been on 3rd. Credit the pitcher for throwing her away so she’d hit it opposite field, but Carraway should have adjusted her swing to pull it.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
The one weakness in Tim Walton's coaching is not putting enough emphasis in getting down a sac. bunt. We had 3 different innings where a successful bunt would have led to a run. Barnhill pitching to Show didn't lose the game. It was our offense's failure to execute with runners on base and/or in scoring position. Lorenz doubled to lead off the 1st and our 2-3-4 hitters left her stranded. Voss leads off the inning with a single and our 1-2-3 hitters leave her stranded. Lorenz leads off an inning with a single and our 2-3-4 hitters do nothing. And in the 7th, Reynoso & Roberts lead off with singles and, while Caraway can't bunt, there were girls on the bench who could have at least made a decent attempt. Get them up to 2nd & 3rd and Matthews' pinch hit grounder in the hole at 2nd would have tied the game. When a team is weak hitting, like this year's Gator team, you have to maximize your few chances to score and play small ball to be successful against good teams. We didn't do that all year and haven't for most of Walton's tenure. He's a great coach, the most successful in D1 over the last 12 years. But needs to insist on his girls being able to bunt when needed.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So considering our entire team had exactly one base hit with runners on base (and it was a weak seeing eye single), at what point would a sac bunt have made a difference?

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Just an observation...the Gators sure seemed up tight and not having much fun in the dugout as in years past. If your not having any fun and it shows, team leadership comes in many forms, staying loose is critical in critical situations...

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
We haven’t hit all year didn’t expect that to change now especially since every team left has good pitching. In past years we would have scored more than 1 damn run against probably the second worst team at the series besides Minnesota.

I found it interesting in reading articles about the game that Walton basically called it as all of us saw it - they can't hit. Also interesting was the article on the UF website pulled no punches and mentioned how inept OSU was but that UF was even worse. Unreal. Zero support for KB.

My TV got an earful when Caraway failed to hit the ball to right side; that was a killer. Seems her style of hitting would not be the best for that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.