Gator Truth Florida Football Podcast

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys, after a few months of working on it I am getting ready to launch my own podcast on Tuesday, the Gator Truth Florida Football Podcast. It will be on Apple, with the audio being put on YouTube (possibly with smaller clips) within a day or two of the launch. I would love for you guys to check it out and provide me with feedback you have. Also, if you have Twitter, give the show a follow @GatorPodcast. No idea how that @ was available.

It has been an idea batted around between my brother and I since 2019-2020. In 2020, we actually recorded a pre-season schedule preview we never posted. We started working on a new one back in May, but then he’s not been able to record.

I say that to say for now it is a solo show, but I hope to remedy that. I also have a secondary show idea that if I can get my feet under me with this will be something different than most sports and Gators podcasts.

Truth be told (no pun intended), I wanted to name it anything but Gator Truth because I felt it was too self-serving. However, the group I workshopped the name with loved the term Gator Truth and we couldn’t think of anything better so that’s why it is what it is.

I did some test runs and received feedback from several people (including Ox) that have been very helpful. I don’t think I’m fully there yet, but will be as time goes on. I ask if you like the content or at least see potential give me a few episodes to earn your listenership.

Sorry for the longer post, but wanted to answer some questions my over thinking mind anticipated.

I can’t wait to the season to begin, I truly think this could be a great first year for Napier. Whether that turns into more down the road, we will see.

Thank you everybody, and as always, Go Gators!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Paramount Network Good Luck GIF by Yellowstone

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
No, he’s been a help in getting me to this point. I’m still going to do my Truth Takes, much to many disappointed people. Cue Muschamp quote from 2014 Tennessee
1.) During the season make a podcast that is a weekly review of your Truth Takes. Get Ox or Someone to give their take on your Truths.
2.) Production Value is important. Make sure it sounds good. Get a quality microphone. Use window dressing where possible.

3.) You may find an audience for sports content on Alternative Media platforms. Depending on your politics, there's Truth Social, Gab, Frank Speech, Rumble, hell, even Communist Tick-Tock if you were desperate to get your brand out there.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Excited for you but a piece of advice. Keep the podcast concise and to the point. I can’t stand those guys who do podcasts or YouTubes that are a hour and a half long. You’ll lose a lot of audience that way.

You Truth Takes can be long winded as well. I’d say keep it under 30 minutes. @oxrageous always did a great job of keeping the audience engaged by keeping it short and sweet.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
1.) During the season make a podcast that is a weekly review of your Truth Takes. Get Ox or Someone to give their take on your Truths.
2.) Production Value is important. Make sure it sounds good. Get a quality microphone. Use window dressing where possible.

3.) You may find an audience for sports content on Alternative Media platforms. Depending on your politics, there's Truth Social, Gab, Frank Speech, Rumble, hell, even Communist Tick-Tock if you were desperate to get your brand out there.

For 1 and 3, I have some ideas. Definitely during the season have a “Where Colin was Right/Where Colin was wrong” (for those that ever listened to some Cowherd. Biggest thing for those is working on easiest way to get some footage and editing for YouTube. I’ve looked at how a few different areas grow their brands from pro wrestling podcasts to roller coasters.

For 2, researched what the best sound quality mics are for certain price points and other gear. One thing I’ve got feedback on in the test stages was the audio quality was good.

The big drawback is at times I almost script myself and become “robotic” with my voice. I think as I do more, I’ll get better. Took several steps to change that since receiving that feedback on my initial recording.

For some reason multi-quoting on the mobile app is a pain for me. I saw the comment on being to the point.

The first episode, with music intro/outro is 33:17. That includes some introduction, comparison of La/UF 2021 offensive numbers and then looking at QB, RB, OL, TE, and WR. Some bits are longer than others. I might break each position group into a separate clip for YouTube and put the whole thing up as well. I know there are several podcasts that do that.

Point is though, my goal is to be around that 30-35 minute mark for each episode for that retention issue. My format for the preseason and for the regular season will be different for what I hope are obvious reasons or at least become obvious as projecting position groups/schedule is different than breaking a game down.

My getting videos/editing issues at the moment is holding me back from putting highlights over that section of video, but I am learning and hope to be able to get to that point soon.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excited for you but a piece of advice. Keep the podcast concise and to the point. I can’t stand those guys who do podcasts or YouTubes that are a hour and a half long. You’ll lose a lot of audience that way.

You Truth Takes can be long winded as well. I’d say keep it under 30 minutes. @oxrageous always did a great job of keeping the audience engaged by keeping it short and sweet.
I highly recommend that whenever making a point, be sure to make the same exact point like 6 times in a row but with slightly different adjectives. Then go back tot he original phrasing and repeat it like 3 more times.

Also, you can't spend too much time on the podcast telling people to like and subscribe and that sort of thing. No such thing as too much self promotion.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Best of luck to you and I will check it out when it's up and going.

Like NV said keep it short, concise and to the point. I can listen for an hour if the content flows and not repetitive. As much as I am a Gator Junkie and love to listen to info as much as I can some other podcasts......Gators Breakdown could cover their content in about 20-30 min. but GAWD that one is hard to listen to and how it's delivered.

Hope it goes well for you.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I listen to different Gators podcasts several times a week. Keep it under 30 minute. Have a nice intro track. Talk about something current. The news cycle is fast. If you’re talking about something 5 days later without any insightful info, people won’t care.

And probably most important is that you’ll need to find insiders who can share info that people can’t just get from Reddit.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Get in touch with the Gator Collective. Maybe they can hook you up with some player interviews to help kick off your podcast.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
People have the attention span of a gnat.

I'd keep it under 15 minutes if possible, and dive right in. No long, meandering intro about you or historical video or anything like that.

Hit each of the topics you're going to discuss at the front. In presenting your bullet points, things like "special teams" or "3rd down" aren't as grabby or as interesting as "the problem with 3rd down" or "a weapon in the return game".

Good sound is vital, avoid dead air as much as possible.

Good luck.

Alex.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
People have the attention span of a gnat.

I'd keep it under 15 minutes if possible, and dive right in. No long, meandering intro about you or historical video or anything like that.

Hit each of the topics you're going to discuss at the front. In presenting your bullet points, things like "special teams" or "3rd down" aren't as grabby or as interesting as "the problem with 3rd down" or "a weapon in the return game".

Good sound is vital, avoid dead air as much as possible.

Good luck.

Alex.

Dead air has me speaking faster than I think sometimes. As I get more experience, it will become smoother. But I look at some sections when editing and think, “there’s 3-4 seconds of silence there, let’s make that 1.5”. I wish I could say I’m good for one take, but not quite yet. I think I speed my mouth to kill dead air, but then my mind catches up to my mouth and causes more. .

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. I know the first episode has what I feel is good content and more pumper than not. However, I’m still getting used to the medium so may not be as smooth at times as it will be in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb