Gatorchatter Recipes

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hey cover I used the program to scale your bar-b-q sauce recipe down to make a little over a quart batch. It's the same recipe just scaled down. :)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hey cover I used the program to scale your bar-b-q sauce recipe down to make a little over a quart batch. It's the same recipe just scaled down. :)
That's good thinking. Not everybody needs to make the large amount. I'll do a making around the holidays for some cousins' gifts and have a few pints left over for barbecuing, but if you enjoy a variety of sauces, there's no need to have so much of one.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FISH TACOS

images

INGREDIENTS:

4 fish filets (snapper, grouper, catfish, etc.)

8 corn tortillas

Lettuce or cabbage (shredded)

1 ripe avocado (thinly sliced)

2 ripe tomatoes (diced)

1 white onion (diced) or 4 green onions (thinly sliced)

Fresh cilantro

Everglades seasoning

Tabasco

Fresh lemon juice

2 limes (cut into wedges)

Olive oil/cooking oil, meal and flour

DIRECTIONS:

Prepare the vegetables beforehand. Season the fish with a little lemon juice, a dash of Tabasco, and Everglades. Either pan broil the fish in a hot pan with olive oil or coat with meal/flour mixture and deep fry. After fish is cooked, brown the tortillas. Construct the tacos on a plate by first layering with either lettuce or cabbage, tomato, onion, and cilantro. Next, place the fish on top of the veggies and finish with a couple of slices of avocado. Squeeze some fresh lime juice on the taco and add your favorite condiment (crema, tartar sauce, etc.) and dig in! The fresh flavors are great and you won’t be disappointed!

*Edit* - Made these tacos for supper this evening with a piece of snapper. Enjoyed them with a Corona. They were good to me! Made some crema to go on them and it went very well. I'll add the recipe for it, though it isn't original. The lime flavor paired very well with the fish. Hope I'm not putting in too many recipes, but I really enjoy cookin for family and guests.

Crema
1/4 cup onions (finely diced white or thinly sliced green)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon lime zest
1-1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Dash of garlic powder (or minced fresh garlic)

Mix together and let rest in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I added a Crema recipe, post yours and I will swap out. :) Pepperplate   FISH TACOS.png

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jumped the gun Gren. Read the Peperplate version and added rest of crema recipe in notes. My apologies :headslap:
Please edit as you see fit. I think complete crema recipe is at the bottom of post with fish tacos.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
STEAK c2's Way

upload_2016-9-15_14-25-49.jpeg

Most of our bunch enjoys a good steak. We typically buy Delmonico/Rib Eye, Sirloin, T-Bone, and occasionally New York Strip. Two keys to a good steak in my opinion are to buy from a quality market and marinate ahead of cooking time. We have only one old style butcher in my hometown (Quality Meats) and he will cut your steaks to order. Otherwise, Winn-Dixie, once known as “The Beef People,” is our next best bet. Now, I’ll often buy some of the “quick sale” steaks, as the aging actually helps them to be tender. Again, the preparation and marinade are a big key. Here’s what I use and how I do it:

INGREDIENTS:
Steak (your choice of cuts)
Salt
Black Pepper
Season Salt
Dale’s Seasoning
Adolph’s Meat Tenderizer (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
This isn't rocket science, but finding what you like and doing it consistently is a key to eating well when you have steak. Take the steaks and rinse them off. Use a fork to puncture the surface of both sides of each steak (this might be considered your “Pro Tip”). This helps the marinade and seasonings to penetrate. Next, apply salt and season salt sparingly and then pour the Dale’s on, allowing it a few minutes to soak into each side (the Dale’s has salt in it, so don’t stump your toe!). You can use your choice of marinades, but Dale's combination of soy sauce, onion, garlic, sugar, ginger, and paprika (along with the salt content) is a flavoring for steak that we enjoy. Finally, apply the black pepper and refrigerate in a plastic bag. 24 hours before you grill is ideal, as the marinade helps break the meat down a little, but if you need to hurry up, a couple of hours prior will still make a difference. I will typically use the Adolph’s on the sirloin only, as they can be kind of chewy otherwise. Most times I’ll also make a compound butter with a little fresh garlic and parsley to put on top. Medium Rare to Medium is what I do and it is an enjoyable meal for all of us!

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have entered your STEAK c2's Way

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good job on figuring out Pepperplate, you even got the pictures. I added the category which allow you to search by poster and as the cookbook gets larger I will add more categories like chicken, beef cheese and etc.

Again good job , three new recipes by NVGator

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good job on figuring out Pepperplate, you even got the pictures. I added the category which allow you to search by poster and as the cookbook gets larger I will add more categories like chicken, beef cheese and etc.

Again good job , three new recipes by NVGator
That's a great app/software. Really simple and easy to use. I'll add more as well. I'd also like Ray to add some stuff too.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
STEAK c2's Way

View attachment 3876

Most of our bunch enjoys a good steak. We typically buy Delmonico/Rib Eye, Sirloin, T-Bone, and occasionally New York Strip. Two keys to a good steak in my opinion are to buy from a quality market and marinate ahead of cooking time. We have only one old style butcher in my hometown (Quality Meats) and he will cut your steaks to order. Otherwise, Winn-Dixie, once known as “The Beef People,” is our next best bet. Now, I’ll often buy some of the “quick sale” steaks, as the aging actually helps them to be tender. Again, the preparation and marinade are a big key. Here’s what I use and how I do it:

INGREDIENTS:
Steak (your choice of cuts)
Salt
Black Pepper
Season Salt
Dale’s Seasoning
Adolph’s Meat Tenderizer (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
This isn't rocket science, but finding what you like and doing it consistently is a key to eating well when you have steak. Take the steaks and rinse them off. Use a fork to puncture the surface of both sides of each steak (this might be considered your “Pro Tip”). This helps the marinade and seasonings to penetrate. Next, apply salt and season salt sparingly and then pour the Dale’s on, allowing it a few minutes to soak into each side (the Dale’s has salt in it, so don’t stump your toe!). You can use your choice of marinades, but Dale's combination of soy sauce, onion, garlic, sugar, ginger, and paprika (along with the salt content) is a flavoring for steak that we enjoy. Finally, apply the black pepper and refrigerate in a plastic bag. 24 hours before you grill is ideal, as the marinade helps break the meat down a little, but if you need to hurry up, a couple of hours prior will still make a difference. I will typically use the Adolph’s on the sirloin only, as they can be kind of chewy otherwise. Most times I’ll also make a compound butter with a little fresh garlic and parsley to put on top. Medium Rare to Medium is what I do and it is an enjoyable meal for all of us!
Dale's is absolutely delicious. It also has MSG in it, so if you are serving these to guests make sure they don't have any issue with that.

I am a big fan of the compound butter. I'll put a spoonful on the steak right after it comes off the grill or out of the broiler. Then tent the steak in some foil for 5 minutes to let it rest. The steak will absorb some of the juice that comes out during cooking while it rests and the butter will melt and provide some additional flavor.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dale's is absolutely delicious. It also has MSG in it, so if you are serving these to guests make sure they don't have any issue with that.

I am a big fan of the compound butter. I'll put a spoonful on the steak right after it comes off the grill or out of the broiler. Then tent the steak in some foil for 5 minutes to let it rest. The steak will absorb some of the juice that comes out during cooking while it rests and the butter will melt and provide some additional flavor.
You are absolutely correct, Bernie. Didn't mention the MSG, but it is a substance that some cannot have. Thanks also for your directions on resting the steak with the butter.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, be careful how deeply you are piercing the steak with a fork if you intend to serve it on the rare side.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I used to do steaks with Dale's. Mix 50% Dale's and 50% of your favorite beer (my favorite was a porter or stout but you could use cider, or tea, or your favorite booze and water, etc.) plus my own additional seasonings (pepper, garlic and onion powder, maybe a little brown sugar, maybe a little instant espresso powder, Worcestershire sauce, pickapeppa hot sauce, maybe even a couple drops of liquid smoke, etc. that sort of thing) and marinated in a ziploc bag for about 30 min to an hour. Pat them dry, season (but very light on the salt) then throw them on super hot grill. Always got a beautiful crust.

If you want to avoid the MSG, you can make your own version of Dale's that is actually better because Dale's is made with crappy soy sauce (hydrolyzed soy protein as opposed to naturally fermented) and crappy corn syrup. To make your own, get some naturally fermented soy sauce, add plenty of garlic powder and onion powder, a tiny bit of ginger powder, and brown sugar. That's it.

Wife is sensitive to soy so no more Dale's for me. Now I do a rub.

Alex.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I used to do steaks with Dale's. Mix 50% Dale's and 50% of your favorite beer (my favorite was a porter or stout but you could use cider, or tea, or your favorite booze and water, etc.) plus my own additional seasonings (pepper, garlic and onion powder, maybe a little brown sugar, maybe a little instant espresso powder, Worcestershire sauce, pickapeppa hot sauce, maybe even a couple drops of liquid smoke, etc. that sort of thing) and marinated in a ziploc bag for about 30 min to an hour. Pat them dry, season (but very light on the salt) then throw them on super hot grill. Always got a beautiful crust.

If you want to avoid the MSG, you can make your own version of Dale's that is actually better because Dale's is made with crappy soy sauce (hydrolyzed soy protein as opposed to naturally fermented) and crappy corn syrup. To make your own, get some naturally fermented soy sauce, add plenty of garlic powder and onion powder, a tiny bit of ginger powder, and brown sugar. That's it.

Wife is sensitive to soy so no more Dale's for me. Now I do a rub.

Alex.
A nice rub will get the wife's sensitivity up.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, be careful how deeply you are piercing the steak with a fork if you intend to serve it on the rare side.
Right. I only go about half way on each side. Several of the old steak houses used to have an apparatus, I think it's called a needling machine, that would pierce the steaks prior to marinating. I believe you can still buy versions of these for the home if you wanted to.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I made a first time chicken dish tonight for the game. It had real good reviews and looked good so I gave it a shot. Turmed out really good, will do it again. It's called Crack Chicken so I figured it was good....chicken tenders dredged in egg flour and panko and baked. Has a simple sauce you make for it. It's posted in Pepperplate.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I made a first time chicken dish tonight for the game. It had real good reviews and looked good so I gave it a shot. Turmed out really good, will do it again. It's called Crack Chicken so I figured it was good....chicken tenders dredged in egg flour and panko and baked. Has a simple sauce you make for it. It's posted in Pepperplate.
I added your above description to your recipe, I hope you don't mind. Edit if you don't like it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator