Gators' 2015 class ranked No. 61 in the nation

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is the result of too many people rationalizing the performance of the 2013 season with injuries and the "Meyer mess", instead of looking at the real picture. Common sense suggested we'd be right where we are if we merely stayed the course. It was in front of us and, for whatever reason, too many failed to see it. I said then that it would set us back 3-5 years.

Now, I still think a real head coach can some in and win right away with the kids we have on campus. But in terms of getting us back to elite status and winning titles, we are probably minimum 3 years out. And this year is only making matters worse.

As Ox said, this is a low that should've never happened. We should've had that horrible feeling post-GSU and already be trending back up. Instead we opted to dig a little lower.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90037 said:
This is the result of too many people rationalizing the performance of the 2013 season with injuries and the "Meyer mess", instead of looking at the real picture. Common sense suggested we'd be right where we are if we merely stayed the course. It was in front of us and, for whatever reason, too many failed to see it. I said then that it would set us back 3-5 years.

Now, I still think a real head coach can some in and win right away with the kids we have on campus. But in terms of getting us back to elite status and winning titles, we are probably minimum 3 years out. And this year is only making matters worse.

As Ox said, this is a low that should've never happened. We should've had that horrible feeling post-GSU and already be trending back up. Instead we opted to dig a little lower.

So... we couldn't see the forest because the trees were in the way?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
deuce coupe;n90055 said:
So... we couldn't see the forest because the trees were in the way?

I don't really know what people were seeing, and am not calling anyone out. It was just very trendy to buy into the Meyer excuse early on, and then combine that with the injuries last year to justify what we were seeing on the field. I think some (not saying you personally) just liked WM to the point of misreading what was pretty plain to see if that judgement wasn't clouded. There were just too many signs dating back to 2011 that indicated otherwise.

To be clear, I fully get the idea of wanting to stay positive and hoping for the best. I do it every year myself. It's what makes us fans. But as I said, anyone who defended this regime after the GSU game was not looking at reality. None of this should come as a surprise. It had been written on the wall for some time, whether we chose to read it or not. Too many fans, including some very influential ones, simply chose not to.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90062 said:
I don't really know what people were seeing, and am not calling anyone out. It was just very trendy to buy into the Meyer excuse early on, and then combine that with the injuries last year to justify what we were seeing on the field. I think some (not saying you personally) just liked WM to the point of misreading what was pretty plain to see if that judgement wasn't clouded. There were just too many signs dating back to 2011 that indicated otherwise.
Sure. In retrospect it's obvious. Creyer managed 5 losses, destroyed the roster and then Chimp managed 6. I'm always will to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until it's obvious. By 2012, especially with Chimp lauding his formula for success and failing to understand how outright lucky he had been, along with the pathetic offensive recruiting, made it clear that we were going in the toilet until he was fired.

I'm a bandwagon guy. I admit it. I bought it in 2011.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90037 said:
But in terms of getting us back to elite status and winning titles, we are probably minimum 3 years out. And this year is only making matters worse.
Exactly. Fooley's decision last year bought us a lost decade. We have some talent at QB, at CB, a bunch of average at RB and DL, 3 star filler everywhere else, and an upcoming class that would be a disappointment at Vandy or Kansas.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n90067 said:
Sure. In retrospect it's obvious. Creyer managed 5 losses, destroyed the roster and then Chimp managed 6. I'm always will to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until it's obvious. By 2012, especially with Chimp lauding his formula for success and failing to understand how outright lucky he had been, along with the pathetic offensive recruiting, made it clear that we were going in the toilet until he was fired.

I'm a bandwagon guy. I admit it. I bought it in 2011.

And no shame in that. Don't get me wrong, it was all speculation and judgement calls back then. I only bring up that first year because I believe it contributes to the overall body of work that should've justified a move last year. Basically, we didn't see a really good HC suddenly fall apart last year. We saw a continuation of mistakes and lack of performance, with a handful of lucky outcomes in 2012 glossing over the real product.

To me, that's the issue. Too many imagined things that weren't consistent with reality.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90084 said:
To me, that's the issue. Too many imagined things that weren't consistent with reality.

I held out hope like many Muschamp was job scared enough to be 100% hands off with the offense this season and that Roper could actually do something with Driskel. That was pie in the sky looking at it now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hate to say I called it. It's wasn't hard really. Chimp said repeatedly that what he learned from last year was "Don't lose your starting QB" as if losing Jeff Driskel's pathetic carcass was what caused the disasters in 2013 (and 2011).

Maillot Jaune

Oct 14, 2014
WobbleGator;n89884 said:
Muschamp coaching until the end of the season or being fired after the Georgia game won't matter to recruiting. What will matter is how quickly we name our new head coach.

The when is not nearly as important as the who.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90037 said:

I would say atleast 4 years from being contenders. You gotta give your new coach a year to get a full recruiting class in and 3 years to develop it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90037 said:

Yep. Shoulda pulled the plug last year, but Foley made the decision to give him another shot becuase of the issues you stated above. It'll all be over soon enough.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n90133 said:
I would say atleast 4 years from being contenders. You gotta give your new coach a year to get a full recruiting class in and 3 years to develop it.

This has proven to not be true, many times over. The right guy, at the right school, at the right time, can win immediately.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n90037 said:

He should have been fired BEFORE the GSU game.

After last years home coming it was obvious Muschamp was in way over his head the GSU game should have never happened, at least not with the Dawg at the helm.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
If Muschamp is given the rest of the year, FSU will not embarrass Florida because Muschamp is Fisher's friend, and they might have bigger fish to fry. That could change if UF is as charitable with the ball as they were against Missouri.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thomas Goldkamp;89876 said:
Obviously Florida's recruiting is pretty concerning this year, particularly in a year that could have and probably should have been one of those "national championship" type classes with how much elite talent there is in the state. But at this point, having few commitments isn't a terrible thing. Obviously you'd rather lose the other riff-raff commitments than the All-Americans, but I don't think having a lot of spots for a new staff to fill is the worst thing in the world. He doesn't get stuck with quite as many guys who may not fit his system, and he can really target and go after a select handful that can really help right away, while rolling over the extra scholarships for a big second recruiting class. Thinking mostly offense here, because that's where Florida's really missing playmakers. Linebacker is definitely going to be a concern, though.
You're assuming Muschamp is fired... That being said, linebacker has the potential to be catastrophic. And the quicker he cans Muschamp, the more likely the kids will play lights out for the interim coach and we gain momentum surrounding our program. And excitement about a replacement. What coaches do you think are likely candidates?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;90151 said:
If Muschamp is given the rest of the year, FSU will not embarrass Florida because Muschamp is Fisher's friend, and they might have bigger fish to fry. That could change if UF is as charitable with the ball as they were against Missouri.
Don't be retarded.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n89974 said:
We thought Georgia Southern was rock-bottom. It appears we can get lower.

​ we hit rock bottom last year and we've been rolling around in it ever since

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.