Stewart Reese: returning for 6th season

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
New from Will Miles at Read & Reaction, really good write up - some painful tape of pathetic OL blocking. Too long to cut and paste the article:

Gators addition of Stewart Reese a huge addition to the offensive line

Gators addition of Stewart Reese a huge addition to the offensive line - Read and Reaction

f there’s one play that really sticks out from the 2019 season that Florida would like to have back, I think it’s this one.

2020-05-17-Trask-to-Pitts-on-fourth-down-vs-Georgia.gif

It was the right decision for Mullen to go for it on fourth down here. And I don’t even mind throwing here, especially if it’s to Kyle Pitts in one-on-one coverage.

----

You can see why when you look at Reese on tape.

2020-05-17-Reese-road-grades-into-the-end-zone.gif

This seems like a pretty straightforward QB power for a touchdown. But I want you to notice two things. First, Reese (#51) ends the play three-yards deep into the end zone, absolutely pancaking the defensive tackle (#18). Second, this isn’t the minor leagues of the SEC I’m showing here. This was a redshirt freshman left tackle absolutely demolishing one of the powers of the SEC West.

There was considerable promise looking at how Reese performed in the passing game as well.

2020-05-17-Long-incompletion-but-good-OL-communication.gif

This seems like a pretty non-descript play. Nick Fitzgerald takes a deep shot into double coverage and misses. But notice that both the right tackle (Reese) and right guard are in one-on-one matchups. Reese absolutely stones the LSU defensive end (Arden Key, #49) and then communicates well with the right guard to switch men once Key redirects inside.

When watching this play, all I could think of was the play that Delance got criticized for from the Orange Bowl.

2019-12-31-Virginia-Trask-sack-missed-assignment.gif

I do think Delance is likely responsible for getting a harder jam on linebacker Charles Snowden (#11). But I’m not entirely sure that he isn’t supposed to redirect Snowden to the right guard and take the blitzing corner.

Regardless, it’s a problem not only because it results in a sack but because it should have been an easy completion to Van Jefferson who didn’t have anybody underneath to prevent him from getting a first down. By the 13th game of the season, these kinds of things should be taken care of.

Takeaway
I can’t say that I’m an expert on Stewart Reese’s abilities.

But what I can say is that he’s shown some things on the film I’ve watched from 2017 under Mullen that I’m getting excited about what he can contribute to the 2020 Gators.

As I mentioned in my article on Georgia QB Jamie Newman, sometimes the stats and numbers don’t necessarily match up and just watching a couple of plays doesn’t really tell you the whole story. But in Reese’s case, the numbers actually say that he was a huge contributor to the success of the Mississippi State offensive line.

That offensive line was excellent in 2017 under Mullen with Reese at right tackle. According to Football Outsiders NCAA offensive line stats, that 2017 line ranked 6th in the country at opportunity rate, which measures how often the line did its job on running plays. That line also ranked seventh in adjusted sack rate, indicating it was able to get the job done both in the running game and pass protection.

By 2019, the Mississippi State offensive line had fallen to 27th in opportunity rate but to 119th in adjusted sack rate.

In our season previews two years ago on Gators Breakdown, I was dubious of Joe Moorhead being able to duplicate the success of Dan Mullen in Starkville, and considering that he’s gone now, I think you’d have to say I was right. The fact that he moved Reese in to guard is fairly perplexing to me.

But regardless of whether Mullen plans to install Reese at right tackle or right guard, I don’t think there’s any doubt that Florida just got an upgrade. Not only does he have three years starting in the SEC West, but he’s also familiar with Dan Mullen, and perhaps just as importantly, Dan Mullen is familiar with him. There’s no doubt, the Florida running game just got a lot better.

And with Kyle Trask coming back to build on his 2019 campaign where he played really well with no running game to speak of, that should be a scary proposition for the rest of the SEC.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does this make the loss of the incoming freshman from Miami a wash?

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018

As gator dave says stewart reece of course is an asset for this year helping and instructing our current line get better, but it certainly would have been nice having walker here too getting that experience and knowing he'd be here 3-4 more years

Last edited:

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019

Probably not. There’s multiple scenarios only one of which could clearly be viewed as a wash.
1) If viewed as a trade and the frosh is a washout at Miami, then we won if Reese starts.
2) If frosh becomes a 2 or 3 year all conference starter, and we either finish second in the East or worse in 2020, or Reese sits the bench then it’s a loss.
3) If frosh becomes a player as above, and we win the East or better this year because Reese pushed oline play to be significantly better then some may view it as a wash. But I’d view it as a win.
4) If neither guy helps his team much, then it’s a wash.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sure. A four month rental vs a 4 year player.

Maybe we can convince them to give him a fifth and sixth year "because Wuhan Flu" or something.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Not a trade....not a wash.....just a really good and timely pickup. I’m Glad we got him and so will our running backs.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The composition of so many CFB teams becomes such a surprise-package with useful transfers & extra-year returnees. The mystery final product is intriguing to await. Ain't it?

What makes a transfer decide on UF to finish his final year or two? most important years? but what is so unattractive to recruits in the state of Florida where, growing up, they must be immersed in Gator fans in their communities??

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The composition of so many CFB teams becomes such a surprise-package with useful transfers & extra-year returnees. The mystery final product is intriguing to await. Ain't it?

What makes a transfer decide on UF to finish his final year or two? most important years? but what is so unattractive to recruits in the state of Florida where, growing up, they must be immersed in Gator fans in their communities??
The bagmen in the real south are real. $$$ converses which leads to reverses.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I am with you

I am hoping that we have better options at right tackle than Reese or Delance next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb